0

Jermain Taylor's promoter drops him, citing the fighter's health is worse than he's letting on

Photo by Danny Aller

Photo by Danny Aller

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Jermain Taylor's boxing future remains uncertain after his promoter dropped him, citing concerns about the former middleweight champion's health.

Taylor has lost four of his last five fights, three by knockout. He was hospitalized after his last defeat, a 12th-round knockout in October by Arthur Abraham as part of the Showtime-backed Super Six super middleweight tournament.

If Taylor continues in that tournament, it will be without promoter Lou DiBella, who said last week he was recusing himself.

"It has been a pleasure and honor to promote him," DiBella said in a statement. "His victories against Bernard Hopkins remain the highlights of my career as a promoter. Jermain is not only a great fighter, but a good and decent man with a wonderful family. It is out of genuine concern for him and his family that I am compelled to make this decision."

Norman Horton, Taylor's publicist, said Thursday he didn't have any comment on the boxer's plans. Taylor's trainer, Ozell Nelson, did not return a message seeking comment.

Chris DeBlasio, director of communications for Showtime Sports, said he couldn't comment on DiBella's move.

"As far as I know, we haven't heard from Jermain," DeBlasio said.

Taylor beat Hopkins in 2005 to win the middleweight title, which he held for two years.

After beating Hopkins twice, Taylor held the middleweight championship until a loss to Kelly Pavlik in 2007. He later lost to Pavlik again, and after beating Jeff Lacy, he was stopped by Carl Froch and Abraham.

"It is my belief that the continuation of Jermain's career as an active fighter places him at unnecessary risk," DiBella said. "While he is undoubtedly capable of prevailing in future bouts, I cannot, in conscience, remain involved given my assessment of such risk."