Informant linked to Georgia, Texas drug operations

ALBANY, Ga. -- The man who aided federal agents in obtaining evidence against a suspected crack cocaine and methamphetamine dealer has ties to a major Lee and Terrell county drug operation as well as a trafficking operation centered in southern Texas, court documents show.

While the current charges against Jeffrey David Boyd remain under federal seal and kept from the public, court records from previous charges show that he has been under suspicion by state and federal authorities before, most recently in 2007 when GBI, DEA, FBI and U.S. Marshal's -- along with local officials -- unearthed a multi-state marijuana grow operation first discovered in Lee and Terrell counties.

An "Order of Recusal," signed by then-U.S. Magistrate Richard Hodge in March 2008, names Boyd as a "subject," in the marijuana grow house investigation. That investigation continues as federal prosecutors are turning their attention to possible public corruption allegations that have surfaced in the wake of earlier investigations, authorities familiar with the operation say.

One month earlier, Hodge signed a "Order of Removal," sending Boyd back to the Southern District of Texas in Victoria to answer charges that he violated terms of his supervised release from a previous stint in federal prison.

Boyd served four months in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons before being released on three years of federal probation stemming from an indictment where he and two others were accused of trafficking more than 18 kilograms of marijuana out of Texas. Individually, Boyd was accused of possessing two grams of heroin, court records show.

Dec. 15, 2008, Boyd was sentenced by U.S. District Judge John D. Rainey in Texas to serve seven months and terminated his supervised release for violating the terms of his probation.

Twice before, Boyd has had his probation revoked. In November 2004, he was sentenced by Texas officials to service 17 months in prison and another 19 months on probation beginning in November 2005 in Georgia for failing to report to probation officials and possessing a controlled substance.

In May 2006, a warrant was issued for Boyd after he again failed to report to his probation officer and failed to abide by drug treatment rules. But, the court declined to revoke his probation in October 2006.

In June 2008, Boyd agreed to go undercover as a confidential informant for the DEA in an effort to get information from and set up drug buys from Jerome "City" Fletcher.

Boyd bought, under federal supervision, crack cocaine from Fletcher, creating the basis for an indictment that led to Fletcher's guilty plea Monday, court documents show.