Arlington Police make drug and theft arrests

ARLINGTON -- A drug bust started out as a traffic investigation by an Arlington Police Department officer, officials said.

"A vehicle was going too slow on Lincoln Street at about 4:45 p.m. April 19," said police Chief Casey Taylor. "The car pulled into a driveway at an abandoned house with three adults and a child in it that was suspicious."

When the vehicle's driver, Keith Lebaron, 24, stepped out of the car, police saw what was described as a big bag of marijuana peeking out of his pocket, Taylor said.

Lebaron was arrested and two bags of marijuana were found on him, Taylor said. He was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, he added.

While Lebaron was taken to jail, his two female companions, both in their 20s, were let go, Taylor said. He took the 9-month-old boy to his home and called the mother, he said.

"Lebaron said all the marijuana was his," Taylor said. "When the mother arrived, we found a lot more in the baby car seat."

Taylor said the marijuana had not yet been weighed and more information was not immediately available.

In another case Arlington police arrested three men for stealing two The Herald newspaper boxes on April 4, he said.

The boxes were sitting outside Taylor's Grocery and across Highland Avenue at Jerry's Fine Foods on the 16000 block, Taylor said. Both stores had video surveillance cameras that caught the thieves, he added.

Rickie Lamb, 50, Arthur James Talbert, 22, and Billy Joe Farmer, 37, were arrested in connection with the theft, Taylor said. All three were charged with two counts theft by taking, he said.

Lamb and Taylor were released on bail from the Early County Jail, Taylor added. The amount of bail was not immediately available. Farmer remains in jail because he had probation violations, he said.

Because the boxes were worth more than $500 each, the theft charge is a felony, Taylor said.

"The boxes were emptied of money before they took them," Taylor said. "Once they saw there was no money, they dumped them in Sawmill Creek."