0

Firefighters rescue sleeping occupant

ALBANY, Ga. -- An apartment occupant was rescued early today when firefighters found him sleeping on a sofa with food burning on a stove.

Albany firefighters got the call about 12:26 a.m. today to an apartment complex at 2507 Nottingham Way and were told by neighbors that someone was in the apartment.

They entered and found a fire blazing in the kitchen and the apartment's occupant, identified in reports as Mike Thornton, asleep on a couch.

Fire reports cited unattended food on the stove as the source of the blaze. Damaged in the incident were cabinets, the stove, walls, ceiling and a refrigerator. Albany firefighters estimated the cost of the damages at $11,000.