Argument leaves one dead

ALBANY, Ga. -- An argument about guns between friends ended with one 18-year-old dead Monday and a 19-year-old confessing to murder, according to Albany Police Department reports.

Gerald Robinson confessed to shooting Malcom Todd at about 9:10 p.m. Monday, said APD spokesman Steve Butler.

"The victim, Malcom Todd, had been shot once in the chest," Butler said. "He later died during transport to Phoebe Putney (Memorial Hospital)."

Described as friends and members of the Bloods gang, Todd and Robinson argued about two pistols Monday night at the Oak Grove Estate trailer park, police Capt. Russell Barnes said. The argument ended when Robinson shot Todd with a small-caliber handgun.

When police arrived at the 86 Dobbs Drive shooting scene, Robinson spun a tale of 8 Trey Crips gang members shooting Todd from a black car and taking off, Barnes said.

"Robinson reported that he believed that the shooting was gang retaliation," the police report stated. "But when rival gang members were brought to the police department and questioned, Robinson's details were not consistent with the evidence and any other statements."

Under questioning, Robinson cracked at about 3 a.m. and confessed, Barnes said.

"His cover story just didn't add up," Barnes said. "There were too many variables. He finally confessed."

Police recovered .25 caliber and .38 caliber handguns hidden in the bushes near the tan trailer on Dobbs Drive, Barnes said. Investigation in the case continues.

"This is not a gang war, although it could have escalated to that if he had not confessed," Barnes said. "There is no need for any retaliation in this. They were from the same gang."

Robinson is in Dougherty County Jail with no bail, a jail spokesman said.

Todd's body was taken to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Macon for an autopsy.

An unrelated report of shots fired on the 800 block of North Davis Street is also under investigation, Butler said. No injuries were reported in that shooting.

The ninth homicide in the city came after gunfire peppered the city four times in two nights the previous week. In the only gunshot injury reported during an eight-hour stretch between 6:15 p.m. Aug. 25 and 1:55 a.m. Aug. 26, Nekovious Taylor, 19, was shot in the thigh at about 9 p.m. as he walked near the intersection of Highland Avenue and Poplar Street.

Taylor was discharged from Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital Aug. 25.

At about 6:15 p.m. Aug. 25, three males walked toward a group of teenagers near a house on West First Avenue and Cleveland Street. Shots were fired, and both groups ran away without any injuries reported.

More shots were reported the same night at 9:30 p.m. on the 600 block of Davis Street. A white Ford Explorer pulled up to an apartment building and opened fire, putting a bullet hole in a screen door. No injuries were reported.

A gunshot cut the 1:55 a.m. Aug. 26 air on the 2100 block of Tompkins Avenue. No injuries were reported.

"All of these incidents remain under investigation," Butler said. "There have been no arrests."