Monday, December 6, 2010
© Copyright 2014
ALBANY -- Albany officials say that they'll likely go ahead and book events waiting to use the Civic Center if producers tied to the new X-Men film don't confirm intentions for the venue.
Last month, location scouts affiliated with "X-Men: The First Class" notified city officials that film executives were interested in renting the Civic Center for shooting if the city officials could clear nearly 30 days from the event calendar.
City officials have managed to squeeze 28 days for the crew in December and January, but they have yet to hear anything more than speculation from the group.
Assistant City Manager Wes Smith reportedly spoke with film officials on Monday and was unable to get anything concrete.
"After speaking with them ... having the Civic Center involved in the film is still on the table, but there are no specific plans to do a full-scale shoot at this time," Smith said.
Smith said he was told that the group still appeared to be interested in the location, but that it will likely be limited to facade shots of the building.
With no firm commitment from filmmakers, Smith said he intends to give the go-ahead for event staff at the Civic Center to book events.
So far, the only events that have been impacted are the Lipizzaner Stallion Show, which had been scheduled to play in early January but was bumped after failure to pay a deposit, and organizers of a New Year's Eve bash who officials had held off on booking until the X-Men situation was resolved.