Tuesday, December 7, 2010
© Copyright 2013
ALBANY, Ga. -- An Albany resident awoke to a blazing home at 7 a.m. Tuesday but managed to get out on his own, Albany Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters arrived to find the attic and roof ablaze at a single story home at 209 S. Davis St., said Assistant Fire Chief Allen Cravey. The resident, whose name Cravey didn't have, was already outside when firefighters arrived.
"We think he had too large of logs in his fireplace," Cravey said, "the fire went out of the fireplace and up the wall."
The fire blazed from what the report called "sawn wood, including all finished lumber" pushing embers out of the first-floor fireplace. The fire ran up the wall and went into the attic and the roof, where firefighters shot water and got it under control by 7:32 a.m., the report stated.
There were no smoke detectors in the building, the report said. It was not known whether the building was insured.
The estimated cost of the damage was $15,500, the report stated. The building and its contents were estimated to be worth $27,000 before the fire.