ALBANY, Ga. -- The Albany Herald will observe a significant milestone this year -- its 120th year of producing a newspaper for Southwest Georgia.
The first issue of The Albany Herald rolled off the press on Oct. 24, 1891. The initial product was a four-page newspaper with five columns of news on each page.
"To be part of an institution that had its roots 120 years ago is a privilege and it's certainly humbling because of the rich tradition," said Michael J. Gebhart, executive vice president of Southern Community Newspapers Inc. and president and publisher of The Albany Herald.
"It's hard to believe The Herald has been the dominant medium in the Good Life City since just after the War Between the States."
A new logo designed specifically for the 120th anniversary year is debuting in today's edition and will be featured throughout the year.
Herald employee Angela Miller designed the winning logo. Her work was chosen from numerous entries from Herald employees.
A committee of Herald employees has been meeting to plan special activities throughout to year.
For example, The Herald has already committed to sponsor the October 2011 Business After Hours, which is to be conducted for members of the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce.
Also tentatively planned is an open house of The Herald's offices at 126 N. Washington St. the open house later in 2011 will give the public an opportunity to tour the facility and meet Herald employees.
Several Herald employees have volunteered to participate in a project in which staffers will read 120 books at a local public school during 2011.
Also, many successful businesspeople in the area, and beyond, got their start in the business world by delivering the newspaper.
To recognize some of those early entrepreneurs, we plan to write feature stories on some of more prosperous young carriers. If you have suggestion of a former paper carrier who enjoyed future success, please call Managing Editor Danny Carter at (229) 888-9346.