MID-DAY UPDATE: Woods pays in full

Photo by Bill Strickland

Photo by Bill Strickland

This morning, city officials received $2,500 from Woods, who resigned her position and agreed to the repayment of the $50,000 facade grant in a deal with Dougherty County prosecutors in December.

Before noon, she paid another $2,500 to bring her account current, Assistant City Manager Wes Smith said.

The agreement, which prevented prosecutors from seeking indictments against Woods, included her immediate resignation from the board of directors of the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority, a term that expired Dec. 31, 2009, a couple of weeks after the agreement.

City officials said today they expect immediate repayment of the remaining $2,500 that woods owes for January. She had repaid $10,000 by the end of December.

Former Dollar Square owner Tim Washington also agreed in December to repay his $40,000 facade grant in $500 a month increments after pleading guilty in December to making false statements. He was sentenced to a five-year sentence to be served on probation.

City officials say Washington, who will get first offender status if he successfully completes probation, has missed both his December and January payments. City officials have contacted the probation office handling his case regarding the matter.

Washington and Woods were both caught up in the six-month long downtown scandal that centered on former downtown manager and ADICA CEO Don Buie, who admitted after his trial in December that he used his position to funnel ADICA funds to his wife and girlfriend. Those women -- Shanon Buie and Nicole Brown -- had also pleaded guilty to charges before Don Buie's trial started.

As a jury deliberated his fate on Dec. 22, Don Buie pleaded guilty to nine felony counts, including theft by taking by a government official, false statements and concealing facts from a political subdivision. In the plea arrangement, he was sentenced to a year in prison followed by nine years on probation, ordered to pay $5,000 in restitution to ADICA and banished from Dougherty County.