Monday, June 28, 2010
© Copyright 2014
ALBANY, Ga. -- Firefighters managed to revive a family's pet Monday afternoon after rescuing him from a home on the 800 block of West Gordon Avenue.
Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief Marty Leverett said the small dog was discovered by firefighters when they went into the home.
"They found the dog and he looked lifeless," the battalion chief said. "They gave him some oxygen and he came right back."
Fire Chief James Carswell said after firefighters performed CPR on the dog and revived him with oxygen, the family was relieved to find their pet had made it out of the burning home alive.
Leverett said when firefighters responded to the fire around 5:30 p.m. Monday, the residence was engulfed in flames and smoke was billowing.
Three adults and three children were able to get out of the residence without harm, but the dog was trapped inside.
Leverett said the family was displaced, but the Red Cross was able to find the family a place to rest for the evening.
Fire officials said an air conditioner plug was the source of the fire and warned that some units cannot run all the time.
"You can't have it on all the time, some of the air conditioners can't take it and the plugs go bad," said Leverett.
Fire officials estimated the fire caused $30,000 worth of damage to the residence.