Drivers give Dawson police wild chase

DAWSON -- Weekend drivers gave Dawson police a run for their money Saturday evening as two drivers attempted to flee traffic stops.

At 9:22 p.m. officers from the Dawson Police Department attempted to initiate a traffic stop of Derick Bridges of Dawson, who had failed to stop at a stop sign on Sixth Avenue.

According to police reports, Bridges continued to drive his gold Chevrolet Monte Carlo through several stop signs and in different directions in an attempt to evade the cruisers.

Officers said that Bridges finally stopped at a residence on Summitt Drive, where he exited the vehicle and fled on foot into a wooded area.

Police pursued Bridges through the wooded area, where he ignored their orders to stop.

Eventually officers were able to corner Bridges, who was asked by police to get down on the ground. Police said that Bridges ignored the officers and made an aggressive move toward one of the officers.

After Bridges refused to comply with the officers' orders, he was sprayed in the face with pepper spray. Police said they were then able to restrain and arrest him.

Bridges was charged with having an open container of alcohol while operating a vehicle, fleeing or attempting to elude police officers, reckless driving, failure to stop at a stop sign, habitual violator and obstruction.

At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, Dawson police were again led on a chase.

According to police reports, officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop on a silver Honda Accord that was weaving on Pecan Street in Dawson.

After the driver refused to yield to officers, the police followed the vehicle until the driver abandoned the car on Lee Street and fled on foot.

Officers said they pursued the subject into a wooded area, where they lost visual contact. He is described as a black male who was wearing a white tank top, yellow gym shorts and white shoes.

The passenger and owner of the vehicle, who was identified as Deitra Huff of Albany, was taken into custody and questioned.