Woman injured in Wednesday shooting

Photo by Avan Clark

Photo by Avan Clark

ALBANY, Ga. -- The gunshot that a visitor to owner Dennis Fetch's Westwood Apartments complex suffered was a tragic accident.

"(Jasmine McCreary) was just sitting working on her computer," Fetch said. "The bullet went right from a closet through the wall."

At about 1 a.m. Wednesday, a bullet hit McCreary, 19, in the head while she was in an apartment at the 2010 West Broad St. complex, said an Albany Police Department news release. McCreary was taken to a hospital for treatment, the report added.

Police spokeswoman Phyllis Banks said she didn't know which hospital McCreary was taken to.

Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and Palmyra Medical Center spokeswomen said they did not have McCreary at their hospitals. Families can ask that no information be released about their relations.

Banks said that McCreary remained alive at 4 p.m. No more information on McCreary's condition was immediately available from the police.

Police officers arrested Dantevius DeAndre Pryor, 21, in connection with the shooting, a police report stated. He is charged with aggravated battery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, the report added.

Pryor remained in Dougherty County Jail Wednesday with no bail set, a jail spokeswoman said.

Calling his tenants "family," Fetch said that a guest in an apartment reached into a closet to find a .45-caliber handgun on a high shelf. The gun discharged and the bullet smashed through two walls finally hitting McCreary as she sat at a table working on her computer in a different apartment, he said.

In his complex where about 800 people live, there have not been any major crimes, Fetch said. Neither McCreary nor Pryor were tenants, he added, they could have been visiting friends.

Police had not located the gun by mid-afternoon Wednesday when they responded to a call from a manager at the apartment complex about suspicious persons searching through the bushes near the apartments.

No further information was immediately available about the gun or the people police officers questioned at the complex in the late afternoon.

"The case remains under investigation," Banks said. "The sequence of events which led to the shooting remains under investigation."