Short caused Elite office blaze

ALBANY -- An electrical short caused a $30,000 fire at a Third Avenue real estate office at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, said Albany Fire Department Chief James Carswell.

The blaze engulfed Elite Realty of Georgia, Inc., at 1009 W. Third Ave., according to a fire department report.

No injuries were reported.

"When firefighters reached the building there were flames shooting out of the east end of the building," Carswell said.

"We laid lines and Third Avenue was blocked to traffic for a short time."

Arson investigator Sam Harris went through the building's charred remains and concluded the ignition point was an electrical short in the office computer area, Carswell said.

About 12 firefighters responded in three pumper trucks and an aerial truck, Carswell said.

An aerial truck is a truck that carries ladders and other equipment that might be needed to fight a fire.

Carswell said, "We had the fire out quick, so I don't think we used a lot of water."