Child hospitalized for smoke inhalation
ALBANY -- A child left alone in a duplex on the 1400 block of West Fourth Avenue suffered from smoke inhalation after a cooking fire sent smoke throughout the building, an Albany Fire Department official said.
"She broke out a window and got out. She was covered in soot and had cuts on her hands," said fire Chief James Carswell. "She was taken to the Macon burn center for treatment."
The 10-year-old was locked in the apartment by her mother, who went out to the store, Carswell said. The mother was concerned about burglars and the child's protection.
The mother had been cooking in a neighbor's apartment because she had not been able to pay her electric bill. She forgot about the grease on the stove, Carswell said.
There were no other injuries, but the apartment where the fire started had heavy smoke.
No one answered the door at the dark-yellow, single-story duplex Friday afternoon. No names were made available by Carswell.
Water drawdown set for area lakes
ALBANY -- Georgia Power Co. will conduct a controlled drawdown of Lake Chehaw/Worth for scheduled maintenance on the Flint River Hydro Dam starting Tuesday.
The drawdown, which will be approximately 8 feet, is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, and refilling is scheduled to begin on Oct. 11.
Lake residents are encouraged to secure their boats during the drawdown.
For more information, contact Georgia Power's Bartletts Ferry land management office at (706) 317-6061.
Phoebe clinical lab gets accreditation
ALBANY -- The main clinical laboratory at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital has been accredited by the accreditation committee of the College of American Pathologists based on the results of a recent onsite inspection.
Phoebe's laboratory is one of more than 7,000 CAP-accredited laboratories worldwide.
During the CAP accreditation process, inspectors examine the lab's records and quality control of procedures for the preceding two years, as well as laboratory staff qualifications, lab equipment, facilities, safety program record and overall management of the laboratory.
Girls Inc. awarded grant for new vehicle
ALBANY -- Procter & Gamble has awarded Girls Inc. a grant of $25,000 to be used for the purchase of a new van. The presentation is planned Tuesday.
Girls Incorporated of Albany serves more than 2,300 girls in Dougherty and Terrell counties. Programs focus on science, math, technology, health and sexuality, economic and financial literacy, sports, leadership and advocacy for girls ages 7-18.
Farmer reaps money with lottery win
BLAKELY -- A Blakely farmer has stumbled upon a special kind of seed. Paul Allen, 73, won a $50,000 top prize playing the popular Georgia Lottery instant game Jumbo Bucks Classic.
Krishna Food Store, 910 N. Main St. in Blakely, sold the lucky ticket.
"I was at home when I scratched it," Allen said. "When I looked at it, I couldn't believe my eyes."
The lucky great-grandfather works part-time on a farm, driving a tractor.
"I don't have any plans really," he said. "I'm just happy I won."
Raffle ticket sales to benefit Strive 2 Thrive
ALBANY -- Raffle tickets are being sold offering three prizes to raise money for Strive 2 Thrive, a local community program designed to bring local residents out of poverty.
The $10 tickets are available through the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce. The contact person is Meghan Duke. She can be reached at (229) 434-8700, extension 218.
Prizes include a three-night stay at Cynthia and Bill George's condo at Reynolds Plantation and a $100 gift card for dinner at the Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation. The value of the prize is $1,150, and the prize must be used by September 2011.
Also being given away are two 2011 season passes to the Albany Panthers' home football games. Each pass is for two people.
The prizes will be given away Wednesday at the Chamber's Rise N Shine breakfast for Strive 2 Thrive.