Sherwood beats Brookwood, 31-21, behind Green, English

Photo by Danny Aller

Photo by Danny Aller

ALBANY -- The one-two punch of Mack Green and Phillip English was just what Sherwood (1-1) needed coming off its loss to Deerfield-Windsor to start the season last week -- and that 1-2 punch was more than enough to help knock out the Brookwood School Warriors, 31-21 Friday night at Sherwood.

The tandem accounted for the bulk of Sherwood's offensive production and racked up all of the Eagles' trips into the end zone.

"Those guys did a great job (Friday night)," Sherwood coach Reggie Mitchell said. "That was our game plan, to switch those guys out and keep them fresh and get as many touches as they could."

English was a workhorse for the Eagles as he rushed for a team-high 84 yards and a touchdown. He also had spectacular punt return in which he was hit and driven back by a host of Warriors, only to break free and gain 30 yards before being up upended by the Brookwood punter, saving what would've been a sure SCA touchdown.

"The team bounced back pretty good from the loss last week," English said. "We couldn't have done it without execution."

The other half of the dynamic duo -- Green -- had some exciting plays as well, including a 46-yard dash for the score on his way to a three-TD performance.

"We can't get a big head after (just one) game," Green said. "We just have to get prepared for the next game."

But Sherwood did a good job taking advantage of Brookwood all night.

"We did not play with a sense of urgency early and it hurt us," Brookwood coach Robert East said. "(Sherwood) did a great job of play selection and we made a lot of mistakes."

Sherwood's offense was clicking from the start, getting inside the 10 after a long run by English that set up a short run by Green that put the Eagles up 7-0.

Brookwood responded with a long drive that concluded with a 2-yard touchdown run by Justin Johnson to knot the score at 7-7.

Sherwood countered with Green's longest touchdown carry of the day to take a 14-7 lead and then a long, boominh 40-yard field goal by T.J. Clay put the Eagles comfortably ahead 17-7 going in halftime.

Brookwood started the second half with 71-yard touchdown run by Chris Alexander to climb back in the game but after the blocked punt, that gave Sherwood possession on the six yard line as Green found the end zone again, giving Sherwood another 10-point cushion (24-14).

English darted in for Sherwood's final touchdown late in the fourth quarter to give the Eagles yet another commanding lead, 31-14 lead.

Johnson added a meaningless score with 30 seconds left in the game.

"It was a hard fought game," said Mitchell. "We were actually battling for our lives tonight and I give a lot of credit to Brookwood, coach East, and his staff."