Eagles miss FG with :05 seconds left to force OT as Westwood stuns SCA

Photo by Danny Aller

Photo by Danny Aller

CAMILLA -- Westwood didn't just win its third game of the year Friday. And the Wildcats didn't just win their third come-from-behind game in the late minutes, either.

The GISA Class A school rallied for the third straight week against a larger classification team to go to 3-0 with a 10-7 win over GISA Class AAA Sherwood Christian.

As head coach Ross Worsham so eloquently summarized, "Who'd a thunk it?"

"We're 3-0 after playing a AA (program) and two AAA schools," Worsham said. "Probably a betting man wouldn't say that. When you fight like our kids fight, anything can happen. Those kinds of games we just didn't win (last year), and they remember that."

Westwood hung on to a 10-7 lead in the fourth quarter after freshman J.T. Edore scored on a 6-yard run with 11:15 left to play until disaster struck. The Wildcats lined up to punt at the Sherwood 30 with 1:42 to play, wanting to trap the Eagles (1-2) inside the 20 and force them to drive the field.

But for the second time Friday, an errant punt snap set Sherwood up deep in Wildcats territory. But the Eagles fumbled away the gift the first time then nearly made Westwood pay the second time.

Sherwood drove to the Westwood 4 with 13 seconds to play when quarterback Terrance Burnette stretched across the goal line and scored, but an illegal procedure negated the points and forced the Eagles to try to tie the game on a field goal with just five seconds left and send it into overtime.

The penalty was Sherwood's 11th of the night, costing the Eagles a total of 71 yards in flags.

"The receiver jumped the gun too early," Sherwood head coach Reggie Mitchell said. "He was anxious to get out and make a block. We've got to cut out these penalties. (Those) are our Achilles heel right now."

T.J. Clay's 27-yard field goal attempt to knot it up fell short and Westwood survived again.

"I was worried," Wildcats senior Jake Edore, the older brother of J.T., said of the final drive. "(But) every game we've played, we've come back in the second half."

Jake was stymied by Sherwood's defense for most of the night, rushing for just 18 yards on 17 carries, but he made up for it in other ways. He caught three passes for 96 yards and kicked a 30-yard field goal in the second quarter for the game's first score. The younger

Edore did most of the damage on the ground, rolling up 93 yards rushing and a score on 15 carries.

Westwood had shut out Sherwood in the first half before Mack Green caught a short pass from Burnette and then ran sideline-to-sideline to score from 40 yards out as time expired in the first half, giving the Eagles a 7-3 lead.

"That could have been a big momentum swing," Worsham said. "We had to put it behind us. We had to just go out and win the second half."

For the third straight week, the Wildcats did just that. They'll try to do it again next week against Class AA Flint River.

Westwood quarterback Mason Worsham completed 6-of-9 passes for 135 yards and was intercepted once by Green. Burnette was 7-of-16 passing for 88 yards a touchdown for Sherwood, while Phillip English led the Eagles with 51 yards rushing on 12 carries.

Sherwood hosts Bethesda Day on Friday in its second GISA Region 2-AAA game of the year and will hope to heal after missing several starters against Westwood.

"We've made some strides," Mitchell said. "The defense played a whale of a game. Offensively, we're just going to keep evaluating personnel."