Two of Charlie Walters' sons, Elijah, left, and Morris, try to find anything of value to salvage after a fire destroyed their father's one-bedroom trailer at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday.
ALBANY -- Firefighters arrived to find a trailer ablaze after 5:30 a.m. Thursday on the 2600 block of South Madison Street, said an Albany Fire Department official.
"The resident was out of the trailer in shorts," said Allen Cravey, assistant fire chief. "There were no injuries except the smoke inhalation he had."
The blaze was under control by about 5:57 a.m., Cravey said. Dougherty County EMS took Charlie James Walters Sr. to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, he added.
By 5:30 p.m. a hospital spokeswoman said there was no patient at the hospital by that name.
Walters' sons, Morris and Elijah, said they thought their father was released after his blood pressure calmed down and the smoke inhalation cleared up.
"They said they'd just keep him for observation," Morris Walters said. "Everything my father owned is gone."
Cravey said the fire possibly started in a portable, propane grill that either was used to cook on or for heat. Spreading from that stove the flames engulfed the one-bedroom trailer.
The brothers weren't sure of their father's age, but estimated 88. They were certain it wasn't the first time the elder Walters lost his home. The Flood of '94 took the family's three-bedroom home.
"There were about 16 of us living in that house when we were children," Elijah Walters said. "FEMA gave my dad a trailer but then took it away. He bought this trailer."
Although their father escaped on his own with his dog Shaggy, the brothers gave firefighters a lot of credit for their actions during the fire.
"They did a great job," Morris Walters said. "But he lost everything. We'll have to see what we can do."