Friday, April 15, 2011
© Copyright 2014
The state Board of Regents is scheduled to vote on the new rates, which will be released at Tuesday's meeting.
Tuition increases are practically an annual tradition for the 35 colleges in the University System of Georgia. But there's heightened concern among families this year because of changes to the HOPE scholarship, which used to pay all tuition for students who earned at least a 3.0 GPA.
Now only the state's brightest students -- about 10 percent of recipients -- will get full-tuition scholarships. For the rest the awards will equal 90 percent of current rates, meaning HOPE will not cover any tuition increases.
Tuition increased by as much as 16 percent at some campuses this year. It went up by 25 percent at all campuses during the 2010 fiscal year.