Breaking News

ASU coach Mike White resigns December 17, 2014


Westover boys soccer team wins, girls lose in opening round of playoffs

Photo by Mike Phillips

Photo by Mike Phillips

ALBANY -- The Westover boy's soccer team is going to the second round of the state tournament.

And that's thanks heavily to Danny Brown who scored all four goals to help the Patriots defeat Hephzibah, 4-1, in their first round of state matchup Friday.

"His game could have been better -- mainly because (Hephzibah) had one guy that was on him (Brown) the whole time," said Westover coach Van Pressley.

"He played well (but) he has a lot more than that."

If that's the case then the rest of the teams in the tournament better take heed. Brown's first goal knotted it at 1-1 at things at 1-1.

Sergio Ward had put Hephzibah up early. in the half.

Brown's second goal came moments later on a penalty kick that was bobbled by the Hephzibah goalie Shaquille Wheeler before it rolled into the back of the goal to give Westover a 2-1 advantage.

Brown would lay low for the remainder of the half as his team the same going into halftime.

In the second half, Brown scored his third goal of the game during a scramble for the ball in front of the Hephzibah goal after a Westover corner kick with 20 minutes left in the game.

Brown's final goal came with five minutes left in game and all but closed the door on any comeback attempt by Hephzibah.

"I couldn't have done it without my team," Brown said. "This is the best performance we have had all year."

With the win the Patriots improved to 11-2 overall for the season and await its second round opponent.


The Westover girl's soccer saw its season end Friday after suffering a loss to the Harlem Lady Bull dogs by a final score of 3-2.

"We were fortunate (today)," said Harlem coach George Berry whose team improved to 12-3 overall. "Westover is a good team and they are well coached."

And Westover showcased how good they were in this game.

After giving up a goal early in the game the Lady Patriots battled back to tie the game at one all on a shot by Jordan Lane that sailed over the head of Harlem goalie LeeAnne Newberry and in to the back of the net.

Moments later Jade Cotton would answer for Harlem after she broke away from the pack and zipped one passed Westover goalie Jakiah Oliver who could do nothing but watch as the bounced around in the back corner of the goal.

This gave Harlem back the lead at 2-1 which it maintained until halftime.

In the second half Mika Reid knotted things at two apiece after she took a long lead kick from Sachi Doughety the rest of the way for the score.

With under 10 minutes left in the game Christina Rentas snuck one passed Oliver to give Harlem a 3-2 lead and from there they hung on as Westover desperately tried to nail the game tying goal but fell just short.

"Obviously I wish we had won (but) I could not be more proud of these bunch of girls," said Westover coach John Daughety.