Albany Cat ordinance postponed

ALBANY, Ga. — After a lengthy discussion, the Albany City Commission once again tabled a proposed change to the board’s animal control policy that would create a new program meant to help control the feral cat population.

Assistant City Manager Wes Smith presented the ordinance to the commission, which would create a feral cat program that would facilitate a relationship with a non-profit group known as the “Catnappers,” who have been collecting feral cats and having them spayed and neutered.

According to Smith, the ordinance bans the tethering or “leashing” of cats — a move that was once considered — and requires all non-feral cats to either have a collar with ID, or be micro-chipped.

The sticking point, at least for Mayor Willie Adams and a handful of others around the table, was the cost of implementing the program — a figure that hasn’t yet been figured.

“I”m concerned with the hidden or underlying costs of this thing,” Adams said. “I’m hearing requests for staff time and startup costs and all of that means money. I don’t want to do anything that’s going to use more tax dollars on a program.”

Smith said that’s why staff is recommending that the commission implement a smaller pilot program in areas where feral cat colonies have been identified to see determine costs and impact on existing staff.

Ward III Commissioner Christopher Pike said he had concerns about the cost of the program and a recommendation from staff for the commission to consider requiring animal control officers to become certified peace officers through the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council.

“I think the ordinance is well thought out but I don’t think the implementation of the ordinance has been very well thought out,” Pike said. “Now its looking like the costs are going to be more than we thought — and to make animal control to be POST certified — I don’t think we need an APD officer catching cats when we have people robbing, stealing and killing.”

Commissioner Tommie Postell asked that the commission table consideration of the ordinance until staff could provide more information on the cost.

“I don’t see a cat problem. Cats are non-domesticatable, but not harmful to humans unless they are encountered in a negative way,” Postell said. “I’m not against cats. I’m against spending tax dollars hunting cats.”

Comments

richie 2 years, 11 months ago

The Humane Society is under city contract to dispose of cats. Neutering and spaying saves the Humane Society $25 per cat. The Humane Society should use their funds to pay for the cat costs.

Woodsman 2 years, 11 months ago

If you do your research you'll quickly find out that ANY TNR program and their advocates are making absolute fools out of everyone that they con with their nonsense. Not only causing untold damage of wildlife and further spread of deadly diseases but are also doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to curtail cats' breeding rates.

Not even ONE TNR program has EVER trapped more than 0.4% of existing cats in any one area for over a decade now. They simply cannot trap them faster than they breed out of control, no matter what they do. And those cats that learn to evade traps go on to produce offspring that now also know how to evade any trapping method used. This is why, due to TNR-Advocates' insistence that they have the "solution for everyone", that our feral-cat population has now climbed to an ecologically-deadly 150 MILLION feral cats across the USA. Soon to turn into 1.5 BILLION cats within the year if you apply cats' breeding rates to previous population numbers.

Find whatever way that you can to destroy all feral and stray cats on-sight. Avoid using traps if at all possible because trapping is what slowed everything down to where cat populations have now sky-rocketed out of control.

On advice of the local sheriff where I live I used a .22 equipped with a good illuminated-scope and a laser-sight for use when they are most active, dusk to dawn. I shot every last one of them on my property to try to restore all the native wildlife to proper balance. Mission accomplished! The cost was only 0.3 CENT per cat this way (got 5000 rounds on sale for only $15). And contrary to another famous "vacuum effect" TNR-Advocate's bald-faced LIE ... NO CATS REPLACED THEM. The NATIVE predators and their required NATIVE prey that WAS here and BELONGS here is what replaced these lousy invasive-species cats that destroyed the native food-chain.

May you have as much success as I did, and so inexpensively too.

p.s. Avoid the use of poisons if at all possible that, if released into the food-chain, might harm the very wildlife that you are trying to save from destruction by cats. And please bury or incinerate the carcasses so all the highly toxic diseases that cats now carry won't go on to harm or infect more wildlife or humans. Which, if you do a Google search, now even includes cats spreading The Plague in the USA. So much for that myth that cats would have saved people from The Plague in Europe, cats would have made it far worse!

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 11 months ago

Stop hatin' on the cats! They are marvelous. If I could adopt all of them, I would.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 11 months ago

Woodsman,

Ok, I think we know you hate cats worse than Al Qaeda. We get it.

Woodsman 2 years, 11 months ago

(typos corrected)

Why do you simpletons always presume that if someone wants to restore nature back into proper balance after it's been devastated by a highly destructive and deadly disease-carrying INVASIVE-SPECIES like cats, that that person must hate cats? I hate cats no more than a doctor that was excising a flesh-eating bacteria from a human body would feel hate toward that bacteria. The bacteria is just doing what it is genetically designed to do. But if I care more about the body it is destroying then I excise that INFECTION from the healthy body in any way that I can, as rapidly as I can. Cats are nothing but a DESTRUCTIVE INFECTION in the natural world. An invasive species, bred by man for man's purposes. Altered through selective breeding, a form of genetic engineering. A cat has no more right to be out in the natural world than some genetically engineered insect that if released out into nature will destroy all native wildlife. JUST AS CATS DO.

Which do you care about more? Humans and all other life on the planet? Or just cats? I already know the answer to this one, because I've proved time and time again that cat-advocates love nothing in life but themselves and their cats.They have zero respect or regard for anyone or anything else on the planet. They are hoping that they can destroy all humans and all other wildlife in existence, whether this is a conscious decision of theirs or a subconscious one it matters not. Their choices in life make their final motives clear.

If visiting a friend who is a responsible pet-owner with a cat, I'll even let the cat sit in my lap and I'll scratch its ears if it likes that. The friends I keep, unlike you, know perfectly well why any feral or stray cat outside needs to be destroyed. They even do it themselves. We've even compared notes on the best ways to destroy them and any mildly interesting stories about cats that were more problematic than others to destroy. See ... they have many things that you lack. Intelligence, common-sense, the ability to reason logically, awareness of the world around them, awareness of and RESPECT for others, and experience with the REAL world. Among hundreds of other worthy qualities that you seemingly and sorely lack.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 11 months ago

Woodman--I have 2 cats that never leave my house, so don't worry. They won't attack you.

Cats have a purpose in this world and they do serve a purpose in the ecosystem. I think one of the rabid ones bit you though.