Albany Herald - A user's guide to our website registration features

AlbanyHearld.com web site, August 21, 2011

AlbanyHearld.com web site, August 21, 2011

Our digital team has developed a rich website full of new features and improved old ones. This was done with you, the reader, in mind.

Social Media

Social media have become a huge part of digital life today, and the Albany Herald is no different. You can now select stories, writers, photos and other media as your favorites. This allows you to essentially bookmark your favorite parts of the site and easily access them in the future.

Comments and votes are also part of our social media. It's now much easier to track your comments. Just create a free user account to comment on stories. Interacting with other registered site users is another great feature of signing up for a profile, allowing friending, direct messages and other possibilities.

We still have integration with popular social networking sites Facebook and Twitter, allowing you to share your favorite content with your friends and followers.

Most of the new features will require you to register for an account. It's free and an easy process, and you have control over how much or how little information you share.

Getting Started

photo

By clicking "Sign in" at the top right of the pages on our site, you are directed to this page. To register as a user for the site, fill out the information and follow the instructions in the confirmation email you receive. Registration on our site is free.

To get started, click "Sign in" at the top middle of any page. You can choose to sign up with an account local to the site, or you can use a Google or OpenID account. To create a free local account, select the "I'm new" button. Enter the username you want, enter your preferred password twice and enter your email address. Be aware that your username must be unique and you can only have one username per email address.

Your privacy is important to us, and we will not share your information with any third parties. For more information, read our privacy policy.

After completing this, an email will be sent to you. Click the link in the email -- or copy and paste the link if your email doesn't support HTML -- to activate your account. Click on the link and you're ready to go.

Now that you're logged in, your profile can be managed in numerous ways. Click "Profile" in the main navigation menu or click the drop-down arrow next to "Profile" and you will see a number of options. From here, you can track comments and votes, track friends and favorites, edit your profile, change your password, sign up for email or SMS text alerts created by editors, create your own alerts based on search terms, and adjust your privacy and anonymity on the site.

Helpful Links (once you are registered and signed into the site):

photo

This menu provides a list of options for registered Albany Herald users after creating a free profile. Options available include comment and vote tracking, friend and favorites management, profile and password management, the ability to subscribe to email and SMS alerts and to create custom alerts, and privacy and anonymity options.

Your Profile: This page displays the profile information you have entered into your profile through the Edit profile page. You can view your profile by clicking the "Your profile" link on the Profile drop-down menu. To edit your profile, click here.

Comments: After making a comment on a story, photo or other item, it will be listed in the Comments section. If you were in a conversation the day before and can't remember something you wrote, this is where to find out. To manage and view your comments, click "Comments" on the Profile drop-down menu.

Votes: Votes act much like the Facebook "Like" button, but Votes are only specific to the site. To view the Votes page, click "Votes" on the Profile drop-down menu.

Friends: To keep in touch with other website users, use the Friends feature. If you like discussing an upcoming local football game with another user, you can follow the person using this social tool. If someone else follows you but you choose not to follow that person, he or she is a fan of yours. If you both follow each other, you are friends. To visit the Friends page, click here.

Favorites: When you come across a story, photo, video, writer or other item on the site, you can add it as a Favorite. This feature can be helpful if you like following a sports columnist, education writer or blog. To view the Favorites page, click here.

Edit Profile: By editing your profile, you can upload an avatar, tell a little about yourself, or edit your contact information. To edit your profile, click here.

Change Password: If you need to change your password, use this feature. To view the Change Password tool, click here.

Manage Alerts: Alerts are news items, such as breaking news or daily headlines, that are automatically sent to you via email or SMS text message. To subscribe to one of our alerts or manage an alert subscription, click here.

Search Alerts: If you prefer alerts based on a customized search term, such as a local high school or a county commissioner, you can use Search Alerts. To set up or manage your Search Alerts, click here.

Privacy: This tool gives you the ability to show or hide items that you have marked as Favorites. You can change your Favorite information from public to private individually or globally from this tool. To adjust your privacy settings, click here.

Anonymity: If you would like to have your account verified, the Anonymity tool can be used. This can be helpful if you are an elected official or public figure who is being misrepresented by another user. To use the Anonymity tool, click here.

Reader poll

Was our user's guide helpful?

• No 67%

46 total votes.

Logout: When you want to sign out of your account for security purposes, use the Logout function. To log out of your profile, you can click "Sign out" at the top right of any page or click "Logout" on the Profile drop-down menu. To use the Logout function, click here.

Please continue to send us your feedback with comments and questions. Click here to submit feedback to help us improve our site and tailor it to your community information needs.

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

One more and I'm through. The "peel down" ad in the top righthand corner is (and has been in the past) EXTREEEEEEMELY ANNOYING! It took forever for me to sign out because anytime my cursor gets near it, it peels down over the sign out/sign in part! And then when I wanted to sign back in to write this, it took another forever!

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 8 months ago

YES LULU!! Thank you! I was fighting with the page earlier trying to sign out and it was EXTREMELY annoying. Not good advertising for Shoe Station when I get so irritated from seeing their name!

I signed in below, so you don't need to be at the top of the page. I just wish there was a Sign Out section below too so I don't have to dodge the folding page. Get rid of it, or put the sign in/out area in a new place on the page. Thank you!

rgranfeldt 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry folks, we're working on that corner peel. But while we're getting it straightened out, you can sign out at the bottom of each page. To the right of your name, in "Profile" below. Again, we apologize for the issues.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

That's okay! This is how problems get resolved. Thanks for listening.

rgranfeldt 2 years, 8 months ago

You may have noticed that we moved the log-in / log-out area from the right side of the page to the top-middle. Also, we are working on a more permanent corner peal option.

justme 2 years, 7 months ago

1 week,3 days ago and the corner peel is just like your newspaper repeating yesterdays news over and over. This 9/3/11 lets see just how long it will take to fix.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 8 months ago

YES, it's fixed! Thanks for getting that fix done so I don't have to fight with the folding corner!

DGAshberry 2 years, 7 months ago

The Albany Herald news email is sorted backwards. At first I did not think the email was being updated, but then realized the new news stories are being added at the bottom. This needs to be changed. The new headlines should be at the top.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

What the @#%#@ I have tried for 30 mins to read stories on this website and the "PEEL back" keeps attacking me. If it does not jump fully open it rolls back and forth like a vulture waiting to jump on me. The "Peel" needs a disable button. STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL STOP The PEEL See after awhile it becomes EXTREEEEEEMELY ANNOYING! Now fix it or KILL IT

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

rgranfelt PLEASE call Impact Engine at 866-467-2289 and they will help you with the “Site Peel” Explain this Adverting “Showcase” only “Produce” is not going to “Retain” advertisers because the site viewers are complaining to your advertiser. This annoyance is ruining your website.

Clyde 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe it is some type of ActiveX problem with my machine and if so I am sorry but there seems to be a problem with the little blue bullets on the left of each paragragh that covers up the first few letters of the first word. Is this just happening to me or does there need to be more html code work done on the new site?

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 7 months ago

I've seen that too and it's irritating. It's time to play Guess That Letter!

rgranfeldt 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree that is very annoying and our technology provider is looking into the issue. We have screen shots of those dots, but they do not show up on all browsers (the reason we didn't see them before launch). We've narrowed down which browsers it occurs in and now we're just waiting for the fix. Sorry.

Clyde 2 years, 7 months ago

Abytaxpayer, please don't keep your feelings so pinned up inside. It's not good for your blood pressure. Let it out! I know they won't post this but I'm not fond of the new release either and it's not just because of change. It's because too much doesn't work, it's not as user friendly as the old one and we are forced to register using a legit email addy which will stop about 85% of the regular folks who comment because they don't want to be traced after they post some of the crazy things they have put on here the last few years. Many days I check out the Albany Herald website just for the intertainment I get from reading the comments. We all know what the news is going to be every day. It's Albany. A store was robbed, a gang member got shot or shot someone, the DCSS board is doing something crazy again...same stuff, another day. I'll miss some of the regulars who post. :(

supersquawker 2 years, 7 months ago

Ditto my feelings about the loss of the diverse and pelntiful responses. I used to post at the Macon.com website but they did the same thing and it's just no fun anymore.

MRKIA 2 years, 7 months ago

so true. there was nothing wrong with the original web site. i say go back to it..

msa651 2 years, 7 months ago

HTML in the alerts does work right.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

The "peel down" thing in the corner is still alive and driving me insane! I hope someone is still working on getting that fixed. It's getting tiresome trying to "sneak up" on it to click on the profile tab before it catches me.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove a post. Help, please!

GranfeldtTester 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm logged in as a non-administrative user to see if I can delete a post.

It looks like you cannot delete the post but you can edit it. Go to "Profile" in the top right side (yes, near the corner peal) and click. Then go to "Comments" and click on the post you'd like to edit. You can edit it there - maybe consider typing "Post removed by your name...

rgranfeldt 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure that's what you wanted, but give it a try. And BTW, we are working on adding a "click" to expand feature for that corner peal.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

No, that didn't work for me. It won't let me edit. Oh, well. Whatever you can do to call off your attack-peal will be greatly appreciated!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

rg I must be misunderstanding your post on editing. When I get to my "Comments" page I have tried to click on a post with no results. The only link that I can find to work is "Suggest removal" and "reply" on any of my post listed on my "Comments" page..PS I would Really Really like a fix for the #%&*$ "Site Peel" I would hate to think it is left to the Herald readers to call Impact Engine at 866-467-2289 to get this advertising format fixed. The poor reception alone with all the negative comments posted on the site will deter potential new advertisers from wanting the "Site Peel". It will be hard for the sales department to sale something no one wants. I noticed you crop the top of your photo, I hope it is not because you have been pulling your hair out debugging this site.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

If Abytaxpayer or I can't easily figure out how to delete posts, then I guess it can't be done. This confirms my suspicions then that one poster had a friend at the paper go in and remove her posts for her. Does this mean that anytime we post something and then regret it that we can call the paper and have it removed? I hope this feature isn't reserved just for special friends, but would be available to everybody.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Will someone please answer this this one ^^^^^^^^^^ for me? Who do we call or e-mail to get posts removed? Or is this info hidden under the attack-peel?

Engineer 2 years, 7 months ago

You can't even edit your profile just to add an avatar or gender. When you click save, it pops up some text on the page in red saying "This field is required.", but here's the kicker, there is no field adjacent to it.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Engineer as you can see I posted a photo on my profile.( the wife says it not one of my best photos, but the most honest)..When I first tired to post it I got the same popup as you...I went back to the first page (use back button) I deleted my e-mail addy then added photo and then put my e-ail addy back in and clicked save, it worked for me

Engineer 2 years, 7 months ago

Still doesn't work. Red text still shows up between the e-mail and avatar field saying, "This field is required". It would be nice to know what field this darn thing is talking about. :|

ABY1 2 years, 7 months ago

I would like to know how to get to archives...? Used to be much more researcher friendly...

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

I Killed the PEEL .....I Killed the Peel**
Ok not really but I did find a work around.....If you want to go to anything on the right side of the page like the "Search Box, Help link or Profile link... Follow these steps 1. Click the restore
down box at the very top of your web page ( box to left of red X that closes web page, it looks like two pages laying on top of each other)
2. Adjust only the width of the webpage to about half or less. ............................................... 3. Click the restore
"full size" box next to the red X.................................................... 4. Click the restore down** box again the @#$^# "Page Peel" is now pinned to right side of the downsided page......................................................... 5. Go to bottom of the web page and use the scroll arrows to move to the right side of the web page and you can now see the right side of the page and the "Page Peel" is pinned or stuck to the location that the reduced size page placed it...With this trick i can now reach from the link for the OBs all the way to right side of page....once you have opened the desired link next restore to full size again and you have your page open and the "page peel" is once again lurking in the top right corner

mik178 2 years, 7 months ago

The @#$%@#$%^& peel back corner has got to go!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Well I just got my first Censor on the “Herald” website. I tried to post a workaround for the “Page Peel” and the censors blocked my post. Anyone wanting to know how to do the work around e-mail me at this same name at yahoo dot com

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Beat ya. I made two posts on the Buffalo Wild Wings story about a week ago that never posted. The number was updated to include them, but they never showed. What I wrote was the truth, but not very flattering to the BWW enterprise.

Terri 2 years, 7 months ago

Please list the funeral homes along with the persons name on the original list!!!!!!! Not everyone wants to look at each obit, if you list the funeral home it lets you know if it is local or black or white. I spent too much time going back and forth.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Can someone PLEASE, PLEASE answer this for me? Who do we call or e-mail to get posts removed?

rgranfeldt 2 years, 7 months ago

It appears that we have the issue with the corner peal taken care of. Sorry it took so long - our ad provider had to write some custom code to keep it from automatically popping. Seems simple but as with most technology there always something slowing you down.

Now, it should pop only on click.

Again, sorry for the delay in resolving this issue.

Robert C. Granfeldt Jr. Vice President, Digital Media - Southern Community Newspapers, Inc.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

RG a great big thanks. That was the first thing I noticed this morning when I signed on, No attacking site peel. Thank you Thank you

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Yea! I hadn't noticed. I've conditioned my mouse/cursor to avoid the top righthand area altogether. Now if someone would only answer the question I've been asking for the last week! Why will nobody answer?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

LULU I have not tried to remove a post yet but under my profile home page when I click comments it shows all my comments with a "Suggest removal" link under each comment. I am guessing you have tried removal from your comment page and the people in “Censor” land are asleep at the switch….it only took two weeks to fix the peel so don't hold your breath.. If you have already tried this and it did not worked please let us know. Wish they would allow us to edit our own post .

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually I don't want to remove one of my posts, but I am curious as to how another commenter's multiple posts were removed from an on-going discussion. She had at least 5 or 6 posts in a discussion that were somehow removed, messing up the flow of the conversation and conveniently erasing a very stupid remark that she made. The silence from admins here regarding my question is deafening, proving that my suspicions are correct. Evidently if you know the right person at the Herald, you can call in favors. This is WRONG, but I was hoping that there was a solution that I just wasn't seeing, but now I know my suspicions are correct. It's just a good thing I saved a screenshot of the post before she had her buddy delete it, because IF the case should go any farther, and IF she should be called to testify on the plaintiff's behalf, then what she wrote is definitely something the judge should be made aware of.

Engineer 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess I have to make a fresh post for a response. Editing profile still doesn't work. Red text still shows up between the e-mail and avatar field saying, "This field is required". The earlier suggestion by Abytaxpayer does not work for me.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't think anyone is listening, Engineer.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Engineer I played with my edit profile again and the only time I get the "This field is required' is when my e-mail is blank or not exactly the same as the email I registered with…Not trying to be a smart a.. but double check your email addy for caps spaces etc and that you use your complete email addy as example mine is Abytaxpayer@yahoo.com
If that does not correct the problem try emailing rgranfeldt at robert.granfeldt@scompapers.com maybe he can direct you to the tech guy in charge of the profile page.

Engineer 2 years, 7 months ago

but I don't want my e-mail displayed

Engineer 2 years, 6 months ago

Not that it seems to matter, but I still haven't gotten a response. Furthermore, the reply button seems to be broken.

jhendricks 2 years, 6 months ago

Engineer and Lulu, I'm getting in contact with our digital folks on these questions. Hope I got them right: (1) whether users can delete comments once they're on the site; (2) problems with the "reply" to comment button not functioning properly, and (3) a message "this field required" that shows up when you try to make changes to your profile. If I missed something let me know. Jim

Engineer 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for checking in on that for us.

jhendricks 2 years, 5 months ago

The reply button is working now. Let me know if you have any more problems with it.

jhendricks 2 years, 5 months ago

On the removal of comments, Lulu, a comment is only taken down if there is a valid reason why it should be removed.

On the "this field required" coming up on attempts to make adjustments to profiles, our digital team is working on that now. I'll let you know as soon as I have an answer.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

jhendricks, what constitutes a "valid reason"? Who determines that and how? And who do you contact to request it? There is a story on here from a while back that generated a lot of heat-filled responses, and one poster was able, somehow, to get ALL her posts removed from that conversation. If you go back and read the comments on the story about the parents trying to have the Lee County paraprofessional arrested, you can clearly tell by the flow of the comments that large chunks were removed. She was so big and bad with her comments until I pointed out that something in particular she posted would be very interesting to the defense lawyer and the judge should she be called to testify. Shortly after that her comments were all gone.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

So I'm guessing by the deafening silence and the amount of time that's passed, that it's safe for me to assume that no one has any intention of answering my question. It appears that the Herald subscribes to the Obama definition of the word "transparency".

jhendricks 2 years, 5 months ago

Lulu, If you're referring to your question about having posts taken down, I thought I had answered it earlier. My apologies.

We only take down a comment if there's a valid reason to remove it. A post can only be taken down by a site administrator. You can voice any concerns in a posting yourself, or by emailing any of the editors on the contact list of News Department contacts under the "Help" dropdown menu on the home page. Jim

leecogirl 2 years, 3 months ago

Where are the old classified ads? The new one is not a complete listing and it is not as easy to navigate.