Lee County mother contends her son manhandled by teacher

LEESBURG, Ga. — The mother of an autistic sixth-grader contends her son was manhandled by a special education paraprofessional at Lee County Middle School on Monday, resulting in bruises and the child wetting himself.

April Hogan said her son, Stone Hogan, 11, was in a physical education class and apparently angered a teacher who, she contends, dragged the child, resulting in bruises.

“It’s a personnel matter, so there is not much I can say about it, but we are aware of the accusations and they have been reviewed and discussed with the parent,” Lee County School Superintendent Lawrence Walters said. “I’m satisfied with the review and the process that was done.”

Walters added that there are no immediate plans to take any action and that it’s important to remember that there are two sides to every story.

The mother said the incident was reportedly witnessed by several children and a substitute teacher.

The child is non-verbal and in a self-contained classroom at LCMS, the mother said.

The Herald has filed an Open Records request with the Leesburg Police Department asking for the incident report.

The Herald has filed an Open Records Request with the Leesburg Police Department asking for the police incident report.

Comments

billybob 2 years, 11 months ago

With all due respect, that child is not a sixth-grader as he does not function like a sixth-grader. He's in some sort of program they're calling sixth grade because he's 11. Frankly, if he is "non-verbal" and requires a special classroom, he doesn't belong in public school. He belongs in a facility with the resources and staff trained to handle his situation.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 11 months ago

Doesn't belong in public school?! He has every right to be there. When I went to Lee Co there were special classes for children with disabilities and I am sure that is still in place today. Sorry, but you are wrong, the child has every right to be there.

mike 2 years, 11 months ago

you are stupid even if a child has some handicap they still desurve to be treated as any other child

akd125 2 years, 11 months ago

And with all due respect what the hell does that have to do with anything? Who cares what grade he is in or if he should be there or not? No child should suffer ANY type of abuse!! Put yourself in the position as if it were your child!

andyvrw 2 years, 11 months ago

With all due respect billybob, while in a perfect world a facility that could accommodate his specific needs would be better than him being placed in a public school, that doesn't give any teacher the right to manhandle any student at any time. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to send him to a specialized facility? Maybe the family can't afford it and is doing what they can. And as for your thoughts on the child not being a sixth-grader, that's just ignorance on your part. He's just as much a sixth grader as any other 11 year old. The only difference being that he has special needs. With all of that being said, I'm not automatically saying that the teacher is guilty. I don't know the other side of the story, but I will follow it to see what comes of it.

tracihenry 2 years, 11 months ago

WOW....BillyBob your pretty ignorant....

There is a Special Education Program in every Public School..

Really???? I cann't even believe I read this comment. Got any questions? Please feel free to call me! I'm listed in the phone book........ I was with the parents of this child when the report was made. I also have a Special Needs Child in the school system.

Put them in a facility? REALLY? what country are you from???? NO child left behind act.....

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 11 months ago

You go Traci!!! You are so right.

JRhodes 2 years, 11 months ago

Billybob, obviously you have no clue what you are even talking about. The fact is, this child was abused, doesn't matter whether you think he should be in a facility or in a regular school. Abuse to a child is unaccpetable no matter where this child was. I think you should have really thought out your response, which obviously you did not, before writing something so incorrect and ignorant.

scamero1 2 years, 11 months ago

ALL children, regardless of any disability, is allowed FAPE (free appropriate PUBLIC education). Children with significant developmental delay should be allowed the social interaction with children with and without disabilities!!! Those children have EVERY right to be at the school. The teachers of these children DO have the training to educate these children. We aren't in the 60's and 70's where children with disabilites were sent to an institution. An investigation of a child being injured, regardless of disability, should be filed. Do your homework, billybob, and learn that these children deserve every right that "normal" children get!!

paigenicole 2 years, 11 months ago

You Billybob have shown your ignorance. Just because a child has a disability does not mean the child should be treated any different. Just because he may be "non-verbal" does not mean that he is not capable of learning. And if I were a judging person, by your name I would assume you are some backwoods redneck that has an IQ lower than the amount of fish able to breathe out of water. I hope and pray that your children (if you were even lucky enough to have someone to put up with you) do not turn out to be as prejudice towards those with a learning disability as you are. You should learn one simple thing that you obviously were not taught as a child "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

SheenaH 2 years, 11 months ago

billybob, can you really be that ignorant!? The purpose of this article isn't to inform people of this childs age or the grade he is in.. The fact that you didn't even comment on the child being hurt shows how inconsiderate you are! This little boy is just as much a 6th grader as any other 6th grader at that school! He goes to school every year, and completes the school year just as every other child.. Being he has special needs does NOT mean he doesn't belong at public school! He has just as much right to be there as anybody else. Obviously it's the teacher that doesn't need to be at the school, it seems to me that she's the one that has a problem being verbal. If she were more 'verbal', maybe she could have talked to this child rather than getting angry and abusing him!

mturpin 2 years, 11 months ago

really ????? BillyBob no matter what this child can or can not due he has the right to be in school. And no teacher has the right to put their hands on them for any reason. this includes all children. just because he is non- verbal does not mean they can do what ever they want. . we send our children to school where they should be safe and this is not happening . 2 times in three day is unexsuable. IF THIS WAS YOUR CHILD I GUESS YOU WOULD PUT THEM IN A FACILITY SO THAT YOU WOULDNT HAVE TO BE IN YOUR CHILDS LIFE. PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS ARE VERY LOVING PEOPLE. SOME OF THE MOST CARING PEOPLE YOU WOULD EVER WANT TO MEET. THEY GIVE UP A LOT TO LOVE AND CARE FOR THEIR CHILD AND FOR YOU TO MAKE SUCH A COMMENT LIKE THAT SHOW US THAT YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE !!!!!!!!!!!

billybob 2 years, 11 months ago

I wonder why the school system superintendent said there are no plans to take any action in this case based on the system's investigation if it is a matter of fact that the child was abused as so many of you contend. Additionally, from the available information this child's handicap is not physical which is more easily accomodated in an educational setting than the mental challenges he faces. Futhermore, if one is to believe the allegations, then the staff does not have the training and resources neccessary to accomodate this child properly as I asserted earlier. While that may appear insensitive, it is accurate and the child is not being served as well as he could be. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole just because it makes you feel good doesn't make it right.

Ignorantly yours, Billybob

Rose 2 years, 11 months ago

you are stupid yes they have proof and he functions fine but no child needs to be abused no matter what. Some people do say things to get money or something but you need to know facts before you run your hick mouth.

chinaberry25 2 years, 11 months ago

I have been a substitute teacher and the para does not have control over PE classes. This is usually the coach who has some knowledge of first aid and a sub does not usually have special students alone. No one addressed what the child did to cause this outrage. You can tell how a nation is by how they treat those who are different.

tina_lindsey 2 years, 11 months ago

With all due respect, Billybob, I have not, and I'm assuming that you have not, seen this child's test scores. So how can you comment on how he functions? I can tell you, as the mother of an autistic child, that they do learn. Being non-verbal may or may not slow down a child's learning process, but it does not completely shut it down. My child was basically non-verbal until the age of 4, but please trust me when I tell you that he was able to learn. In fact, many autistic children excel in one subject or another. Daryl Hannah, Jason McElwain, Temple Grandin, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, and President Thomas Jefferson (just to name a few) are some of the more famous autistic people you might know. What would have happened if they were stuck in a "facility"? EVERY child not only deserves, but as an American, is owed the right to the best free public education possible...no matter what their special needs might or might not be!!

billybob 2 years, 11 months ago

Thank you, Rose. I always appreciate a reasoned, well-written response. I do have a question though, and perhaps you can answer it since you seem to have some inside information. If there is evidence as you indicate, why did the school system decline to take action? I find it odd that some people take such offense at the suggestion that this child would be better served outside the public school system in an environment created for children with special needs.

LuLu 2 years, 11 months ago

Chin up, billybob. I get accused of being cold and heartless sometimes, too. Some of us are just more linear in our thinking, while others are emotional. If the boy was mistreated, then I'm sure it will be handled accordingly. My question is this -- Where did autism come from? I never even heard the term until maybe 5 or 10 years ago, and now I hear it ALL the time.

billybob 2 years, 11 months ago

Tina, you actually missed a few. Some people claim Bill Gates, Isaac Newton, Emily Dickinson, Nikola Tesla, Andy Warhol... the list goes on and on and on. And that is part of the problem. According to Dr. Fred Volkmar, autism expert and director of the Yale Child Study Center there is a cottage industry of people in the autism community trying to ascribe some form of Aspergers to everyone. The fact is, most of the historical people you mentioned have not been diagnosed and many experts such as Dr. Volkman don't believe they have a condition at all. And none of this addresses the the negative impact and feelings of inferiority that people suffering from a real condition can experience by telling them that Einstein, Jefferson, Newton, etc. have the condition and achieved so much. That type of thing can lead to feelings of "well then what's wrong with me?" It is not fair to lump people with a real verifiable condition in with high achievers who may or may not (probably not) have had some mild form of the same thing.

DueRespect 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, sounds to me that ole Billy Bob is David Workman and LuLu must be his girlfriend. LuLu, you need to be careful of what you say...things have a way of coming back around and 'getting' you. Billy Bob, all people, regardless of who they are, are to be treated with respect. I'm sure there are times in your life when you should have been dragged across a floor but you weren't. I'm sure there are things in your life that you don't want people to know. You seems to be the kind of person who preys on weaker people. David Workman - I'll bve glad when you get your's. Folks in jail do not take to kindly to "child abusers".

LuLu 2 years, 11 months ago

Careful of what I say??? I reread my post and found nothing out of line in it at all. I sure hope that wasn't a threat.

SpecialNeedsMom 2 years, 11 months ago

BillyBob other wise known as David Workman, . First, let me tell LuLu that Autism is not new. I have a much older child with Autism who graduated from high school thru the special needs program. Oh, sure it took my child a little longer but my child did it. Now, BillyBob, Mr. Workman knew when he took the job that these were special needs kids. He knows what his temper is and if his life is in such a mess that he takes it out on defenseless children then he has no business being around any children. Mr. Workman is a bully who should try picking on people his own size. Bet ya he'd get beat down. Abusers have one place and that is in jail. I would be questioning Mr. Workman's guilt if there were no bruises and no witnesses but there was both.

chinaberry25 2 years, 11 months ago

Autism has been around for many years. They are learning more about it. A movie was made 15 years ago and it was in its infancy. James Farintino played the part, but cannot remember the name for we had to watch it in college for special ed class. Autism seems to run in families and some cannot be reached at all and others are highly trainable.