Judge: 'No probable cause' to support warrant against para

David Workman was accused of 'manhandling' a special needs child at the school.

LEESBURG, Ga. — Citing a lack of “probable cause” to support a warrant application, a Lee County Magistrate judge on Tuesday dismissed a criminal complaint against a paraprofessional special education teacher.

The warrant had been sought by the parents of a Lee County Middle School special-needs sixth-grader who contend their child was “manhandled” by a paraprofessional special education teacher earlier this month in the school gym.

Magistrate Jim Thurman said he believed there was no other course of action for the teacher, David Workman, to take in dealing with the autistic child.

“I don’t know what else could’ve been done in this situation,” Thurman said, addressing Preston and April Hogan, parents of 11-year-old Stone Hogan. “If the child had gotten run over and injured, you’d be suing (the paraprofessional).”

Reached later in the afternoon for comment, Preston Hogan was not happy with the hearing’s outcome or Thurman’s comments.

“This whole hearing was a circus,” Hogan said. “We’re very disappointed because we feel like Stone was not represented at all in this case. We were also offended that Judge Thurman stereotyped children with autism by saying they cannot be reasoned with like normal kids.

“We think the outcome was predetermined before we walked in the door.”

The Hogans contend Workman acted inappropriately when he dragged the child across the floor of the Lee County Middle School gym. They claim the incident caused bruising and was traumatic for the child.

“He is obviously relieved; he did his job,” Workman’s attorney, Eddy Meeks, said. “He was protecting the safety of the child and other children. The school investigated, and officials were satisfied that Mr. Workman was simply doing his job. And he did it well.”

During the warrant hearing, the Hogans presented three witnesses to the incident: two LCMS seventh-grade female students and a substitute teacher.

After the three testified, Meeks made a motion to dismiss and Thurman agreed and granted the motion.

The Hogans do not consider the case closed.

“We are not satisfied,” Preston Hogan said. “We will be seeking legal services in Atlanta from someone who specializes in legal matters involving special needs children.”

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Good. It sounds like someone WAS making a mountain out of a molehill! I think Mr. Workman is owed a huge apology for all the nasty remarks made on the original story.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

It is normal behavior for an autistic child to start hitting their heads against something. I have seen autistic children react that way. The only was you can handle them is mostly the same way. They pitch tantrums just like normal children, but they cannot be reasoned with, just like a 2 year old. They use to be able to use the timeout room, but that has bet outlawed. Next time just call the parents and let them come deal with them.

scott 2 years, 7 months ago

stereotypes and ignorance defines your comment.

truthsayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Enough already, stop blowing wind, we would just like to know ''how much money do they think will make them feel better'', that's the real issue here. It seems nowadays things they did in school as far as dicipline has become a assault now. The board of education wasn't down town, it was sitting on the P.E. teachers desk with holes drilled in it.

john01 2 years, 7 months ago

and how would you move a 6 ft 160 lbs boy that refused to move? could you physically lift him? so him being special gives him the right to disobey teachers?

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Now how do you know I wasn't there? How do you know that I don't know the Hogan's?? And the story here, on a public forum with the little comment feature tells me that I DO have every right to an opinion!!

Rose 2 years, 7 months ago

MAYBE ONE DAY YOUR KID WILL BE MANHANDLED AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL. HE IS A GOOD CHILD AND NEVER HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. ALL SPECIAL NEED KIDS ARE NOT BAD ARE CAUSE TROUBLE.

john01 2 years, 7 months ago

most kids now arent taught, regardless of handicap, to obey teachers or any adult for that matter! when a child is being disobedient he/she should be manhandeled or repremanded, whatever the situation calls!! if the boy wasnt special needs what would have happened to him for his refusal to move when the teacher told him too?

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but some of them do. I had one who took his clothes off and went to bathroom. They have issues just like other kids and cannot be reasoned with. But you are right, money is the whole issue because Daddy sitting there is not doing much work. You can see that by looking at him. It is a way to get big money if they squeak that wheel enough it will get greased.

john01 2 years, 7 months ago

you are very right that Mr. Workman deserves an apology!!!

jennwork 2 years, 7 months ago

Trust me....this is no molehill and this person is very much capable of doing this. I hope the parents don't stop until they have justice.

Rose 2 years, 7 months ago

YOU ARE RIGHT THESE ARE GOOD PARENTS I KNOW THEM AND HE IS A GOOD CHILD AND THURMAN IS A BAD JUDGE HE ALWAYS LET SOME OF THE BAD ONE GET AWAY WITH WHAT THEY DO. AND I HOPE THEY FIGHT FOR THEIR SONS RIGHTS

DueRespect 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey LuLu --- there is a difference between nasty remarks and the truth. I hope you never see the real person behind that smile. And my comment the other day was not a threat. The tongue is powerful tool. We all have to be mindful of what we say (or write). I took your comment about Autism as a person who does not believe that is a real disability. God puts people in our paths to show and teach us. When you have an Autistic person come into your life, cherish each second with that person because they are some awesome people.

wallz 2 years, 7 months ago

false accusations of murder, then drugs, now when a teacher does this its ok. i completely understand

Jeez 2 years, 7 months ago

It sounds like Mom and Dad need to get together on where they stand. When this was first reported, mom said that the child IS non-verbal. And now dad is mad because the judge said he can't be reasoned with like normal kids? You're being contrary!

JessieJackson 2 years, 7 months ago

Non-verbal doesn't mean they can't be reasoned with like "normal" kids. It means they can not communicate the way they think and feel through speaking! It means that they use sign language and behaviors to express themselves. It means you have to be patient and read them.

Just because someone can not TELL you anything doesn't mean they are any less of a person. I am deeply saddened by people who are so simple minded that think this way. People are people no matter their physical or mental status.

scott 2 years, 7 months ago

just because the child does not communicate verbally doesn't mean he cant listen.

Rose 2 years, 7 months ago

NO HE DOES NOT NEED AN APOLOGY AND THE JUDGE IS GOOD AT LETTING CRIMINALS GO. HE NEVER WANTS TO DO HIS JOB THE RIGHT WAY. AND NO ONE MADE A MOLEHILL OUT OF ANYTHING. I KNOW THE CHILD AND HE NEVER GETS IN TROUBLE AND IS GOOD. I COULD UNDERSTAND IF SCHOOL WAS ON FIRE BUT IT WAS NOT SO LULU MAYBE ONE DAY SOMEONE WILL MANDHANDLE ONE OF YOUR CHILDREN AND SEE HOW IT FEELS. I HOPE THE PARENTS CONTINUE THIS FIGHT FOR HIS RIGHTS CAUSE THE LAWYERS IN LEE COUNTY ARE A JOKE AND SO IS THURMAN.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Sign language???? ESP children do not use sign language. Tantrums are one of the communications. I have seen one take his clothes off to go to the bathroom and refuse to put them back on. If you have never worked with one, you have no rel opinion except to attact and believe what you want to. They had an autistic child beat a teacher almost to death and she has brain damage. NO this did not happen in NYC, it happened in Moultrie, GA.

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Your comment is right on, Chinaberry!

SpecialNeedsMom 2 years, 7 months ago

Mr Workman is also very involved with the local Boys Scouts. Boys Scouts live by certain laws. Which Mr.Workman does not think apply to him. The laws are posted below for all to read; The Boys Scout law's A Scout is Trustworthy.A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.A Scout is Loyal.A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.A Scout is Helpful.A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.A Scout is Friendly.A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.A Scout is Courteous.A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.A Scout is Kind.A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.A Scout is Obedient.A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.A Scout is Cheerful.A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.A Scout is Thrifty.A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.A Scout is Brave.A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.A Scout is Clean.A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep his home and community clean.A Scout is Reverent.A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

SpecialNeedsMom 2 years, 7 months ago

LuLu ; People are trying to warn you about the kind of person that Mr Workman (AKA-BillyBob ) is. He has a short and explosive temper . Please take it from people who have been around him. Yes he does give you false since of security till he lures you in . Then he goes after what he wants from you. I don't wish him on anyone. A child wth special needs child is a gift from God.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 7 months ago

Just to be completely fair about this - and I know that many here have already reached their own conclusions - but while the Hogans had three witnesses testify prior to the summary dismissal, Workman also had three witnesses waiting that never took the stand because of the motion for dismissal.

I think people on both sides had already made up their minds on what happened long before the 10 a.m. hearing.

EddieG 2 years, 7 months ago

Not a single person commenting on this story was in the gym on the day in question. God forbid one of you that thinks they know exactly what happened (without being present and wanting to "hang him high") find yourself in that man's shoes one day with judgemental know-it-alls like yourselves on the jury. Might not turn out too pretty.

jennwork 2 years, 7 months ago

I can't even believe he (Mr Workman) was able to find three people that were willing to speak on his behalf.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

You formed an opinion before hearing all the evidence from both sides? God, I hope you're never called for jury duty.

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Interesting story. My severely autistic child (female) goes to the same school....with this young man and we have had ZERO problems with this teacher and this school. WE LOVE THEM AND SUPPORT THEM. I totally agree with the magistrate, this teacher did A GREAT JOB! These parents are looking for a cash cow with a money hungry lawyer leading the charge. The Hogans disgust me. This teacher did his job and protected my child and your child from something more harmful. Get over yourselves and deal with your special needs child like the rest of us do. I am ashamed of you. The reporting of this story by the Herald just antagonizes the situation.

scott 2 years, 7 months ago

i don't guess your child came home with bruises on her did she? Cash Cow? These people don't care about money. You stereotype people automatically by thinking all they care about is money. I am sure you were fed the same line of bull as the rest. You NEVER know what these people are doing to your children. I just hope you don't have to deal with something like this one day and listen to other people judging you cause you choose to stand up for your child.Go ahead Be naive and THINK they give a flip about you or yours.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

They ARE looking for money for they have already been to an attorney in Atlanta. Know why?? Because no lawyer will take the case in Albany Area. They know that it is a lost cause.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Children get bruises all the time. I get bruises, so do you. You cannot prove that the bruises were put there by school and when. Take your child out of school and have him homebound. The state will pay for teachers to come to your home and school him.

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Never will I have to deal with this situation because my special needs child is receiving all the support she needs. Trust me she is her autism is much worse than Stone's. I have no problem with a teacher DOING HIS OR HER JOB. I deal with a special needs child 24/7...DO YOU DEAL WITH ONE, SCOTT? I DOUBT IT. As for your judgement comment...that is bull....I expect these parents to be accountable and take care of their son properly. LIKE I WROTE BEFORE, WE HAVE HAD ZERO PROBLEMS WITH THE TEACHERS IN THIS SCHOOL. The fact that this couple goes to the media to RUIN A TEACHER'S REPUTATION IS DEPLORABLE. You want to complain about others complain about them.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you to all who took the time to educate me on autism. It takes a special kind of person to handle a special-needs child, and he is lucky to have the parents he does. I certainly wasn't implying that it's not a real condition. I only stated that I never heard of it until recently. BUT, because I wasn't there when it happened (as were none of you!), a judge was given the job of determining if there should be criminal charges. The boy's parents and you and I all pay and trust him to look at all the facts in front of him and make the best decision, which he did. If he found no reason to pursue it any further then I trust him on that. He must have been sufficiently convinced that he didn't even need the teacher's witnesses! He thankfully used facts and logic, rather than feelings and emotion. The daddy and granddaddy in him may have wanted to squash the teacher like a bug, but cool heads MUST prevail in a court of law, and I'm glad we have a judge who can separate the two!

On another note, SpecialNeedsMom -- NOT COOL outing someone's alias!!!!

sallymaesmith 2 years, 7 months ago

Here is what is really crazy is that this "paraprofessional" that is in the center of all this is only a subsitute teacher!!! He doesnt have the proper certifications to actually be hired as a para!!!!! oops seams no one new this.......and now he is free and clear to go back to work with special need kids when he never had proper education or training in the first place..... How does that happen???????

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

seams needs to be spelled seems..first of all...and you want to knock this para's educational requirements...what a joke! Why don't you enlighten us as to how you know about this particular para's qualifications.

sallymaesmith 2 years, 7 months ago

well for those of you that werent sure if billybob was mr workman lulu just answered loud and clear didnt she!!!!!!! wow you would think an educated man would know better that to post such things but then again he'd have to have been educated wouldnt he. Mr Workman keeps pointing out in his post that the school system has done nothing to him maybe thats the bigger picture everyone need to look at!!!!!! Maybe they are scred if he did get into trouble everyone would find out they hire non qualified individuals for gobs and turn a blid eye when something like this happens. I thought Lee County was susposto be better than this!!!!!

outraged 2 years, 7 months ago

To the person that said that PARA is a wonderful man.....I hope and pray that your child NEVER has to experience what this child did! I do have a question for all of you that think he is such a wonderful man...... Do you know, as I understand it, he has had NO training to deal with special needs children? He has been placed in a classroom with these special children and has not the slightest idea how to deal with them! I have children that go to Lee County schools and I have been very happy, but to know that they put and un-trained person in the care of those children makes my stomach turn. To me this is as much on the school system as the para involved!!!

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Once again, I would love to know how you acquired information about this para's experience. Is your post based on what others say or do you have formal documentation to back up your post? I am waiting for your reply.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

"well for those of you that werent sure if billybob was mr workman lulu just answered loud and clear didnt she!!!!!!!"

Huh??!! I'm not clear on what you mean by this. I don't know BillyBob, nor do I know Mr. Workman. I clearly said that IF SpecialNeedsMom knows for a fact that Mr. Workman IS BillyBob (or even if it's just supposition!), then it's very inappropriate for her to out him. Please don't put words into my mouth.

SpecialNeedsMom 2 years, 7 months ago

If you would take the time to go back and read all the post it was not me that oused him. Mr.Workman has had no training to work with these special children. If this would have a typical child or adult there would be simple battery charges presses against him. Due to the child being special and non verbal .They have done nothing. American With Disabilities Act has not been put into action here. The Hogans need to contact Atlanta and get a child advocate to work with them. I praying that this will open the eyes of the administrators of all the school systems to what children and parents with special needs have to put up with.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

SpecialNeedsMom 2 days, 14 hours ago BillyBob other wise known as David Workman, .

Yeah, I think it was you.

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Once again I want to see formal documentation to show all of us that this para has no experience or training to work with special needs children. As for my family and our special needs child, we have not had to put up with anything except just life stuff...as for your comment about an advocate, I think the Hogans' lawyer will suffice in this role. I talking to the media and telling the media and all of southwest georgia that an outside lawyer is becoming involved in this matter definitely make the Hogans look bad. I will write this one more time...sounds like they are looking for money..

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

WOW!!!! THIS IS CRAZY IF THIS IS TRUE.... A PERSON HIRED BY LEE COUNTY MIDDLE SCHOOL(COUGHT UP IN ALL THIS NEGATIVE LIGHT) IS NOT EVEN QUALLIFIED TO DO HIS JOB!!!!!!!! IF I WERE THE HOGANS IS GET A DANG GOOD ATTORNEY AND SOME ONE WOULD HAVE TO ANSWER FOR THIS. WHO ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN????????

imwright 2 years, 7 months ago

are you serious? how come this isnt common knowledge? i wonder if judge thurman knows the guy isnt even qualified for this job!!!!! your right akaalex sounds like a law suit waiting to happen to me. is what i want to know is why did judge thurman take it apon himslef to be both judge and jury. he should have let it go to trial and let a jury decide!!!!!! he needs to remember he is ellected as do all you voters net time you cast your vote!!!!!!

soccermom 2 years, 7 months ago

OMG how is that possible? I can't believe that that man still has his job will to be honest he should have never had it in the first place it looks like! I have special need children(3) all in Lee County and this really has me wongering as to what else we don't know and what other short cuts are being taken at our childrens expense. I am NOT happy about this!! AT ALL.

billybob 2 years, 7 months ago

I find it interesting that there are people who believe I am the paraprofessional in question. I merely stated in the comments section of the original article that this child is a sixth grader in name only and would in my opinion be better served at a school or facility equipped and trained to handle his particular situation. And despite all of the emotional, heated comments, I have not read anything that has made me change my opinion. In fact, many of the comments I have read have reinforced my opinion. And while it may frustrate some of you, the judge in the case and the school system both came to the conclusion based on an impartial review of the available evidence that there was no cause to take action against Mr. Workman. Many people have a hard time setting aside emotion and replacing it with logic and reason - particullarly where children are concerned - but it is the job of the judge and the school administration to do just that. Hopefully this child can get the education he deserves.

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

I am no lawer and I dont know just how our legal system works but let me see if I have this right. This was a hearing to determine if warrants should be given. There was council present for Mr Workman and he got to interogate witnesses on the stand and the only one present for the Hogans was a cop. Is that the way it went down? Where was the DA and why wasnt he there?sounds to me that Lee county all around has forgoten hoe to do ther jobs from a want to be teacher, the school system that hired him, the cops, the Da, to the Judge. Looks like the "good ole boy" system is still working well!!!!

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

You must be a "product" of the good ole thug system the Dougherty County School System. I am concluding this by the misspelled words and sentence structure, not too mention the fact that you believe all these posts and hearsay regarding the para's work experience and education. Sounds like the "good ole ghetto" system is alive and well for you, Alex.

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

no actually im a product of war since i lost 3 fingers on one gand and all of the other and my tyoing skills arent the best the days my mistake. A unexpected land mind crossed while serving your country will do that to you. I fought for my country willingly as no i still fight for those who cant defend themselves. if that make me "ghetto" then I guess I am..... Whats youe excuse???????

SpecialNeedsMom 2 years, 7 months ago

As a parent with a special needs child I have some concerns about why the Lee Co School system did not do any traning on how to interact and care for a special needs child. There are so many different levels of disabilities out there from some children being very mildly affected to some children being severely affected. There needs to be training to set up how to do the basic care and how to interact with a non verbal child. .

imwright 2 years, 7 months ago

hey billybob....... judging from the comments made people don't think you are the paraprofessional in question but that you are the man posing as a paraprofessional in question. I cant speak for the Hogans but I think the public out cry is we dont want you working with kids! Expecially special need kids. Tend to your own needs go to school get educated take the test and then we can revisit this conversation. I would however sudgest a field of study change!!!!

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you have any proof that Billybob is the para in this article? Show all of us. If you don't have proof, then I suggest, you watch what you write in your posts. I will speak for Billybob, I think he should find out who you are and get a lawyer(just like the Hogans) and pursue a course of legal action that allows him to publically write comments(truthful or not) regarding your profession and your work.

soccermom 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree 100% specialneedsmom! I would like to know why it says on the board of educations website that a PARA must have associates degree or have taken and passed the paraprofessional GACE test if Mr Workman has not and clearly they hired him as a paraprofessioal so what gives???? I honestly can't beleive that its due to lack of applicants for the postion. I have several friends that are unemployed teachers that have 4 year degrees and passed all GACE teaching test that are working as subs because they cant find a job due to state cut backs. Is this yet another cut back??? Maybe I will contact my state official to find out!!!!!

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Not all teachers will work in a ESP profound class. You go in there and lift a 200 pound child and change diapers for not much more than minimum wage. It will not be a student here and there but 5 or six students lifted from a wheel chair. Some re 22 years old. Those jobs are hard to fill. And I would love to see a certified teacher doing that. I will volunteer to be able to witness that.

imwright 2 years, 7 months ago

looks like soccermom might be on the right track! Well Stated!!! We all need to contact our BOE members and demand that Mr Workman is terminated. Im sure they can find someone else that not only meets there job reqiurments but also doesnt have a cloud of doubt hanging over his head. I can also tell you that NO teacher or school employee should EVER put their hands on ANY child for ANY reason. Thats why they dont use old school punishment ( the paddle) any more without parental consent and many schools wont then. Our justice system failed the Hogans lets come together as a comunity and show our support for all special needs children by saying WE WON'T STAND FOR IT. Workman must go!!!!!!

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

So where was all this outrage BEFORE he was hired? Or BEFORE the day in question? If he's SO horrible why didn't y'all make sure he wasn't hired in the first place?! And maybe a little old fashioned paddle-on-butt might do this child some good! I mean, really! Is the child REALLY hurt? Was his arm broken or did he require stitches? I agree with truthsayer. At this point now, it's ALL about money.

concernedLCMom 2 years, 7 months ago

Probably because the public was not aware of the current findings? He is a manipulator and is very convincing...

AreUKiddingMe 2 years, 7 months ago

imwright Your comment about No teacher or school employee should EVER put their hands on ANY child for ANY reason is just plain wrong. There are situations where restraint is necessary to protect the other students as well as student being restrained..

john01 2 years, 7 months ago

i think the parents are out for cash!!!

concernedLCMom 2 years, 7 months ago

You are making posts on here that aren't even relevant to the actual case at hand. You do not know the family, witnesses, nor everything that has happened. If you are going to make comments... please make sure that you have your facts straight before commenting...

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Okay, now this is getting ridiculous. How do YOU know that john01 doesn't know the family or any of the witnesses? See, this is where things get SO twisted up in knots. People are on here making statements/accusations about other anonymous posters, as if you know who they are! No one here knows who I am, no one here knows who john01 is, yet some people here are taking it upon themselves to tell us who we know and who we don't know!! You want US to have OUR facts straight before commenting, yet you're doing the exact same thing that you're getting onto us for! I certainly don't know everything about this, and I have no problem admitting that. But don't TELL us who or what we know or don't know when you have absolutely no idea yourself!

concernedLCMom 2 years, 7 months ago

Lulu... fyi... I know what has happened and i know what has been going on... so congrats on making yourself look like a fool...

just because I havent posted before doesnt mean that i don't know the entire story. I know everything that has happened... I have chosen to keep my mouth shut until now.

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

So, you know all the facts? I doubt it. You are allowed to post but the rest of us cannot? Wrong!!

shutup 2 years, 7 months ago

OK OK ALL YALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO BUT SIT HERE AND TALK ABOUT A MAN THAT HAS TO DEAL WITH YOUR KIDS THAT HAS SPECIAL NEEDS. i HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ?? WHY ARE THESE KIDS IN MAINSTREAM SCHOOLS ANY WAY. THERE SHOULD BE A SCHOOL FOR KIDS THAT HAS THESE ISSUES AND THEN YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT A SPECIAL NEEDS TEACHER HAS DONE CAUSE THEY WILL BE TRAINED IN HOW TO HANDLE THE PROBLEM. NOW ON THE OTHER HAD YALL SIT HERE AND LISTEN TO THE WORD OF 7TH GRADE CHILDREN IF YOU DUMMIES KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHILDREN THEN YOU WOULD KNOW THAT KIDS SEE THINGS A TOTAL DIFFERENT WAY THEN GROWN UP'S FOR EXAMPLE YOU CAN SAY THE WORD DAMN AND BY THE TIME A KID HAS FINISHED WITH THERE VIEW ON THAT WORD THEN THEY WILL LEAD YOU TO BE LEAVE THAT YOU HAVE CURSED THEM OUT AND TALKED ABOUT THEIR PARENTS. YOU ADULTS NEED TO GET A LIFE AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE AN ISSUE OUT OF SOMETHING THAT WAS NOTHING. KEEP YOUR KIDS AT HOME AND HOME SCHOOL THEM IF YOU DON'T TRUST THE SCHOOL TO DO THEIR JOB WITH YOUR CHILD. EVERY ONE IS NOT GOING TO BE YOU WHEN IT COMES TO DEALING WITH A CHILD. NOW FOR THIS ADULT THAT SEEN THIS HAPPEN THE SUB TEACHER "BY THE WAY IS A FRIEND OF THE CHILD'S PARENTS JUST LIKE THE TWO KIDS THAT TOLD THEM ABOUT THE INICIDEINT" YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR FAILING TO REPORT A CRIME SINCE YALL SAYING A CRIME TOOK PLACE QUESTION FOR YOU WHY DID YOU NOT COME AND FILE A POLICE REPORT OR WRITE A STATEMENT FOR THE POLICE. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THE SCHOOL FIRST AND TWO IF YOU ARE A SUB IN A SCHOOL AND YOU SEE AND WATCH THIS INCIDENT TAKE PLACE WHY DID YOU NOT CONTACT A SUPERVISOR AT THE SCHOOL AT THAT TIME. I THINK THAT STATE LAW OBLIGATES YOU TO ACT WHEN YOU SEE AN INCIDENT IN THE SCHOOL AND YOU MUST ALSO FILL OUT AN INCIDENT REPORT.... SOOOOO STUPID YOU SHOULD BE IN JAIL FOR THIS. NOW FOR MS. HENRY PLEASE GET A LIFE!!!!! YOU AINT NO ANGEL TRUST WE KNOW THIS... IF I WAS MR. WORKMAN I WOULD GET ME A LAWYER AND SUE THE HELL OUT OF ALL YALL INCLUDING THE KIDS AND THEIR PARENTS FOR STRESS AND SLANDER FOR WHAT YALL HAVE PUT HIM THROUGH......

ALL I HAVE TO SAY NOW IS SHUT!!!!!!!! UP!!!!!!

john01 2 years, 7 months ago

how would the school have delt with a child that was being disobedient if he/she wasnt "special"? iss, suspension, paddeled? arent all children "special"? they should all be able to disobey teachers and lay on the floor and just do whatever they want!!!

corvette1976 2 years, 7 months ago

how about verifing credentials, certifications and such, prior to awarding employment... might make sense....

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

imwright I will have to say you are right!!!! I will speak up and stand up for all the special needs kids. These kids are our furture and it is our responsibility to protect, love and educate them. The BOE is an elected board and we all need to let them know what we think. we wont stand for it workman must go!!!!!!!!

Tanmarkyl 2 years, 7 months ago

To ittybittyme: As a personal friend of the Hogan family I just want to say that it angers me when people like you make these comments about THE HOGANS being money hungry and that they need to deal with their child like the rest of you do. First of all, they are not money hungry, they are far from it. Second, just because this was brought to the papers attention does not mean that they contacted them (because they were never quoted until today's article) So learn the facts before you go saying people disgust you. I have known the Hogans and Stone for a long time. His parents are the nicest, most loving parents and friends, and just because your child has autism too doesn't mean that she acts the same way Stone does. They are all different and special in their own way. I send my children to school everyday with hopes that they will be treated well, and I know they will be because if they are mistreated they will be able to talk to me and communicate what happened. But Stone and other children in his class are not able to do that as well as my children can, and I can't begin to imagine how that must feel for the parents. Just because you havent had a problem with this particular teacher doesnt mean squat. Regardless of what Stone did or was doing the man admitted to pulling him across a gym floor by his wrists AND THAT IS WRONG NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!!! This whole ordeal is about the fact that the man did what he did to Stone!!!! And with Stone being unable to verbally say this is what he did to me, he thankfully had witnesses to SPEAK OUT FOR HIM!!!! Stone is not a violent child and just wanted to play, but was being made to sit on the bleachers and watch all the other children play because this teacher did not want to have to follow after him. I know he loves to play with other children from experience because Stone plays with my three children on a regular basis. He loves to be anywhere the kids are playing whether it be inside or outside and he interacts with them so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These parents just want something done for their child because he was mistreated in this way. And I want to end by saying, DEAL WITH YOUR AUTISTIC CHILD THE WAY YOU NEED TO AND LET THE HOGANS DEAL WITH THEIR AUTISTIC CHILD THE WAY THEY NEED TO. (AND OBVIOUSLY THEY THINK THIS IS HOW THIS SITUATION SHOULD BE DEALT WITH). I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD MAKE ANY COMMENTS ABOUT ANYTHING ESPECIALLY WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THIS FAMILY DISGUSTING YOU UNTIL IT IS ACTUALLY YOUR CHILD INVOLVED. BECAUSE YOUR IGNORANCE ABOUT THEIR REASONING FOR THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

soccermom 2 years, 7 months ago

lulu i am truly beleive that you are a complete idot!!! If before he was hired we'd know he wasnt qualified or that hed forcefully put his hands on a student then i promise you would have heard from me. sorry i dont have that crystal ball of foresight. As for spankinf the child in question.... I only pray that you dont have kids and are never ever able to!!!!! as for your and jons comment about the money...... maybe you should educate yourselves on the difference in criminal and civil court!!!!!!! Thats just plain STUPID!!!!!! I hope and pray that the Hogans dont drop this and do take it all the way they have every right!!!! And because the MONEY would be important to you their SON is what matters the most to them!!!!!!!! WE WONT STAND FOR IT WORKMAN MUST GO!!!!!!!

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

john maybe someone should give you a little lesson in manhandling... wow really are you that stupid. no kid special needs or not should be manhandled and let me tell you what if it were my kid I would be camped out on the states door steps demanding action. If that kid could talk mr workman would be in jail!!!! I bet you were a bully in school too, oh and by the way in todays world thats not tolerated either!!!!!!

akaalex 2 years, 7 months ago

lulu if you were there than that means you are empoyed at the middle school and you given your post shouldnt be there either. If you truly believe in workman and what you are saying step out and tell us who you really are.. its easy to run your mouth when its annomonus!!! busted ever I>T department can tell which of their employees are on what sites at an exact time. haha

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

I never said I "believe in Workman". Again, I don't know the man. But I do know that the family's attorney presented their grievance, three witnesses testified, and evidently the judge ruled that it was insufficient for any further action. Case closed.

tracihenry 2 years, 7 months ago

I would like to correct myself from an earlier post:(Why was he allowed to have council represent him and to also question the witesses but the Investigator was the one that presented the story to the Judge....never once calling their Lawyer, Pat Eidsen to the stand to cross examine. Office Vicks was NOT aware he would be in this position and was not prepared.)

Mr. Eidsen WAS NOT retained by the Hogan family. He was there merely for support. This was ONLY a warrant trial. Mr. Meeks is the Attorney for the School System and that is why he was in quesiton.

tracihenry 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish this whole blog of comments was deleted!

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Why? Just because some people want to hear ALL the facts so they can form a rational and impartial opinion? Because the judge found the accusation to be frivilous and without merit? Or would you rather we all just go into a court of law with our minds already made up before even listening to all the evidence from both sides like you said you did?! Once again I'll say that I hope you NEVER get called for jury duty. I'd hate to think that my life could be held in the balance by someone who thinks they know it all and has predetermined my fate.

And anyway, it appears you must already have a buddy on the Herald staff because somehow all your posts from yesterday mysteriously disappeared. Again, why?

ittybittyme 2 years, 7 months ago

LuLu,

I may not always agree with you or your posts, I enjoy reading your posts and the sparring with other posters.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, itty. It's just so infuriating trying to reason with people who are incapable of separating emotion and logic!

caramelfox 2 years, 7 months ago

For those of you who keep stating that Mr. Workman does not have the proper training to work with special needs children I have a question for you. Have you had any formal training to work with special needs children? Can you honestly say that, with the exception of your own special needs child, you have never worked with any other children with special needs? I have because I was just thrown into the situation. This child also had autism which was very difficult for me to learn to deal with but I did the best I could and never had one minute of training for the job.