Rick Allen to run against Sanford Bishop

Bishop is seeking his 11th term in Washington

photo

Rick Allen

COLUMBUS, Ga. - Rick Allen of Columbus has made it official, he will challenge incumbent Sanford Bishop Jr. D-Albany, in next fall's Georgia U.S. Congressional District 2 race.

Allen was crushed in the 2010 Republican primary by Mike Keown, who eventually lost in the general election to Bishop, who has represented the district for nearly 20 years and will be seeking his 11th term in congress.

"After much thoughtful deliberation I have made a decision to run for U.S. Congress in GA-2 again," Allen wrote in an email to supporters. "As I venture into this fray I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers. As you know it's going to be another uphill battle, and I would be extremely thankful for any help and support you could give to my campaign."

Bishop won reelection in 2010 in the battle of his political life, retaining the seat with 51 percent of the vote. At one point during the evening the Associated Press had called the race for Keown, but came back an hour later and recanted.

Bishop's reelection last year was due in large part to swinging the urban centers of Columbus and Albany. Recent redistricting changes have added Macon to District 2, effectively conceding the district to the Democrats.

Comments

VSU 2 years, 4 months ago

Hate to say it, but he doesn't stand a ghost of a chance unless he can promise the entitlement crowd more welfare money than Bishop can.

GeorgiaAl 2 years, 4 months ago

Time to get a second job to support MaCongo......

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 4 months ago

Where do I send my campaign contribution? Call me, "ABB"...Anybody But Bishop. I wonder if his press secretary will issue an "Allen has bitten off more than he can chew" email from the Congressional office...in clear violation of House Ethics Rules (who knew they had such a thing?). Bishop is an absolute "do-nothing" member of Congress. BOOT BISHOP!!

Cartman 2 years, 4 months ago

God bless you Rick. I wish you had a chance.

Why do we tolerate a system that ensures a loafing, ineffective, dullard like Bishop gets reelected? Our district is forfeit to inaction and apathy. Our champion? A Congressial nobody. I would rather the office be officially vacant, than to see another term of office for Sanford Bishop.

richie 2 years, 4 months ago

Lee Ferrell is running for the 2nd District as well and even Lee is a better candidate than Rick Allen. The thing I remember about Rick Allen is the irresponsible way he left his signs up in the right of way after the election was over. They should have written him about a thousand tickets for littering.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey Roger Marietta, when are you going to take down your sign over College Corner like you were ordered to by the city before the election was over with? You should talk... Lee Ferrell will NOT be supported by the Taxpayers' Association this time since they know he is one of your political spies now. So stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I would NEVER vote for Lee Ferrell for Congress. I think I would rather have Bishop again and that's saying a lot coming from me.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 4 months ago

Talk about politicians being irresponsible. You had so many illegal signs during the election I lost count, Roger. I hope you paid a hefty fine to have that sign over college corner or did you weasel out of that?