Sexual incident involving two first-graders reported

ALBANY, Ga. — Dougherty County School System police are investigating a Nov. 17 incident between two 6-year-old, first-grade boys in a bathroom at Jackson Heights Elementary School. The incident prompted one boy’s mother to file a complaint.

According to the DCSS police report, the boys’ teacher, Faye Ashley, noticed that the “alleged victim and suspect had gone to the bathroom for an unusually long time so she went to check on them. When the teacher arrived she saw the two boys in the bathroom together and the alleged victim made the outcry to her that the suspect tried to put his private parts in his rectum.

“A forensic interview and sexual assault examination was done at the Lily Pad/Firefly House (Sexual Assault Center/Child Advocacy Center) on the alleged victim. The Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner reported there was no physical evidence of a sexual assault found during the examination of the alleged victim.”

The alleged victim’s mother wants her son removed from Jackson Heights.

“All I want to do is get my son out of that school,” the woman said. “They are telling me that they are still investigating, but I want my baby out of Jackson Heights now.”

The mother also was upset about a delay in her being informed of the incident.

“It happened on Wednesday, but I wasn’t told about it until Thursday,” She said. “That’s not right.”

DCSS police later conducted a recorded interview with the suspect in the presence of his parents.

“During the interview the suspect reported the alleged victim came into the bathroom stall with him and asked him if he wanted to ‘hunch,’” the report said. “The suspect reported his idea of ‘hunching’ is when a man and a woman make contact with their genitals.

“The suspect denied the allegations made against him and reported the alleged victim was the sexual aggressor.”

DCSS police say the investigation is ongoing. “The case is still pending. Both individuals are six years old and that makes an investigation very difficult,” DCSS Police Chief Troy Conley said. “We are currently working with the district attorney, and this is not an open-and-shut case, but that has been difficult to convey to the mother. There is a lot of ‘he said’ and ‘he said’ going on.

“We are considering criminal charges, but we are also looking at judicial remedies such as counseling.”

In the meantime the school system is mulling over options while it awaits the investigation’s conclusion.

“We have several options available to us,” DCSS Assistant Superintendent Kenneth Goseer said. “We can require counseling for the students and their parents. We can also remove one or both of them from school. Still, we won’t make a decision until we get all the information we can on the case.”

Comments

Parent 2 years, 10 months ago

This is very sad!! I think the best approach is to require counseling for both families. We are talking about 6 year olds and criminal charges would not be appropriate against these children.

hometowngirl 2 years, 10 months ago

It would be ridiculous to file criminal charges against a six year old child. What needs to happen is an investigation into both of the families for the well-being of the children. Six year olds do not come up with this stuff on their own. I suspect sexual abuse against this child by an adult he knows.

gagirl01 2 years, 10 months ago

My question would be where in the h%ll did two 6 year olds learn this behavior? What are the parents allowing the children to watch at home? 6 year olds do not know these things and should not know these things!!! I have an 8 year old girl and a 6 year old boy who don't know these things!!!!

Outtahere 2 years, 10 months ago

I am very saddened by this article. I agree with the other posters and think that criminal charges should not be an option here. Children are exposed to adult material and situations way too often. They are unable to process what they see and experience like we are! HOW SAD!!!! I really hope they get the counseling that they need and that the parents are held accountable if this behavior was learned in the home.
Some parents don't truly watch over and guide their children - they let siblings or someone else take over their responsibility. I have seen a group of young children from the ages of two to maybe ten walking around a neighborhood unsupervised - ALL THE TIME!! There was no parent around!! I have seen the same situation over and over!! Small children unsupervised!!! That is why they are exposed to the wrong things at such an early age - NO PARENTAL GUIDANCE!!!

bubbavet 2 years, 10 months ago

YOU WOULD ALL CHANGE YOUR MIND IF IT WERE YOUR CHILD. HOW MANY TIMES WILL IT TAKE TO STOP IT IF NOTHING IS DONE? THE GUILTY ONE WINS IF NOTHING IS DONE. HE SHOULD BE PUNISHED THAT IS WHATS WRONG WITH SOCIETY NOW..

Outtahere 2 years, 10 months ago

Bubbavet, I understand what you are saying but being only in the first grade and already behaving in this manner would say to me that he is a victim too!! A victim to horrible parenting and maybe much worse. This little boy may have been raped himself. I would agree with you if the boys were older.

chinaberry25 2 years, 10 months ago

I use to live next door to a child who was 5 and was talking about it. He did not act on it, but he knew the facts of life.

VSU 2 years, 10 months ago

Is this a product of the sex education classes? Home schooling at it's worst? Actually I am not surprised by this story, particularly with the low moral values within the communities. Just like these bad parents giving their young children alcohol, pot and crack at a very young age. Bottom line and end result is poor parenting.

billslugg 2 years, 10 months ago

In most states, children under 7 are considered too young to be put into the juvenile court system, so you can probably rule out criminal charges.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 10 months ago

Bill, I think both boys and their parent(s) will be required to undergo counseling. That's really the only recourse.