Ex-deputy challenges sheriff

David Cheshire is running for sheriff of Lee County.

David Cheshire is running for sheriff of Lee County.

LEESBURG — David Cheshire says his goal is to “give the people of Lee County their sheriff’s department back.”

Cheshire said he feels strongly enough about that issue to step down from his position as first lieutenant with the department to run against Sheriff Reggie Rachals.

“Ever since Reggie took office, I’ve had this little itch in the back of my mind that things were not quite being done right,” Cheshire, whose almost 23 years in law enforcement includes a six-year-plus stint as a Lee County deputy, said Tuesday in announcing his candidacy. “A lot of my close friends in the department were fired when Reggie took office and while I have no problem with someone firing employees when necessary, I do have a problem with firing people who have a good work ethic for personal reasons.

“In addition to (law enforcement being) my job, as a citizen of Lee County, what the sheriff does affects me as a taxpayer. I noticed things, especially in the way money was spent, that didn’t set right with me. So I decided to run for office and to offer the facts for people in the county to see. I will not get into mudslinging in this campaign, but I will tell the truth.”

Cheshire started his law enforcement career at the age of 18 when he was recruited by officials with the Leary Police Department. After a year, he moved on to the Edison Police Department, then worked as a sheriff’s deputy in Calhoun, Early and Lee counties.

He sought a position with the Lee department when he started dating his wife, Kristi, who is a paramedic with Lee EMS. The couple have three children: Danielle Musgrove, 24; Taylor Cheshire, 16, and Mikayla Eubanks, 11.

“One of the biggest concerns I have is that we keep putting the same people in our jail over and over and over,” Cheshire said. “If we had some kind of program in place to head that off, there’s no telling how much money we could save the state and Lee County.”

Cheshire said he resigned from his position (his last day was Thursday) in accordance with policy implemented by Rachals in October “when rumors of people considering running against him started to circulate.”

“New policy was enacted in October that basically said anyone planning to run for office could resign or be terminated,” Cheshire said. “One thing I’ve always done is adhere to policy. I have a clean disciplinary record.

“I could have stayed in my position and remained comfortable, but I decided to follow my heart and not my gut.”

Chris Anderson, a former Lee deputy who said he was fired by Rachals for supporting former Sheriff Harold Breeden when Rachals took office, is working with Cheshire’s campaign.

“I know David’s not running for office just to be sheriff,” Anderson said. “He has a love for this community, and he feels that he can make a difference in the financial dealings of the sheriff’s department and in the morale of the employees.”

Kristi Cheshire said she supports her husband’s decision to run for office.

“I’m behind him 100 percent,” she said. “I know the type of law enforcement officer he’s always been, and while I may be a little biased, I think he would make a wonderful sheriff.

“David’s one of those rare individuals who gives out his phone number to citizens he’s worked with and tells them to call if they have problems. He’s always been that way, and our phone has always rung off the hook with people calling him for help.”

Cheshire, who owns a lawn-care business, said he will spend most of his time during the next seven months leading up to the election meeting and talking with the people in the county.

“I’ve seen first-hand the way the sheriff’s department is being handled,” he said. “In order to make it right, I felt I had to step up (and challenge Rachals). I can’t just sit back and leave things as they are. I’m in this for the right reasons.”

The general primary election is scheduled for July 31.

Comments

whattheheck 2 years, 7 months ago

If Mr Cheshire knows of things that are being done improperly under Rachals, let's hear of them. While there may have been things we don't know about,the termination of long time employees under who worked under Breeden, after many years the in-house culture of "we have always done it this way" and loyalty to the former incumbent can become intolerable. And perhaps it is even more important within a law enforcement organization that the house be cleaned periodically due to the nature of the business--one can have too many friends and wrong friends over time.

justme 2 years, 7 months ago

So what do think Lee County should do go to part time cops or rent a cop or how about security guards. Cleaning the house is getting rid of some Officer who is not up to par.

LeeCountyCitizen 2 years, 7 months ago

The thing is Rachals lied about not letting anyone go when he was campaining. As soon as Lee County elected him, he fired several people and some were for personal reasons. Why not give people a chance instead of going in and cleaning house, all because you don't like somebody. Mr. Cheshire is an AWESOME person but even better he knows the law and wants to do right by the citizens of Lee County and the LCSO. VOTE DAVID CHESHIRE LEE COUNTY SHERIFF 2012!!!!!!

waltspecht 2 years, 7 months ago

In many States this political nepotism has been outlawed. It's about time it happened here. Many people have their careers thrown on the dump for being loyal to their current Boss. That's just plain wrong. The newly elected Sheriff should be able to work with anyone, not just their cronies. It has long been used as a payback for support during the election. Just plain wrong. Then there is the Political Process, Someone has to run against the incumbant, even if it is just the loyal opposition.. Wonder if we will ever get a female to run for Sheriff?

Lee_County_Resident2 2 years, 7 months ago

And the first to throw mud was...............NOT the current Sheriff of Lee County. It does not sound like Mr. Cheshire is off to a good start. Keep it clean.

LeeCountyCitizen 2 years, 7 months ago

No body has thrown mud. I don't think you can count facts as throwing mud.

Lee_County_Resident2 2 years, 7 months ago

Then show the facts now. Don't wait til voting time. Get your skeletons out of the closet now. And LeeCountyCitizen how do you know they are the facts? Are you kin to him?

LeeCountyCitizen 2 years, 7 months ago

You will find out in due time, just like everyone else will, be patient and speaking of skeletons why dont you tell Mr. Rachaels to let his skeletons out of his closet.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 7 months ago

Is he the same David Cheshire from Edison that was caught doing doughnuts in a police car in a church parking lot in Edison many years ago?

wonderbread 2 years, 7 months ago

Kaos, you just made that up - you promised your husband you wouldn't smoke weed at work any more - bad girl!

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 7 months ago

No I did not. I have ties to Calhoun County so I know this for a fact. He use to be a friend of my dad and that is how I know. Moron!

LeeCountyCitizen1 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't know either man well but I have been approached by Sheriff Rachals' wife. It is a little off putting to have someone speak so badly about a person to a complete stranger. That said, I do understand that sometimes people say things out of anger and/or fear so I let that slide. But, I do not appriciate having my young children at parade and having that same person's family yelling obscenities to the float carrying Mr. Cheshire. There are lots of other things we need to be concerned with other than who can make who look bad. If that's all they have, my mind is made up.

Lee_County_Resident2 2 years, 7 months ago

If you dont know him well then how do you know it was his family yelling?

LeeCountyCitizen1 2 years, 7 months ago

Because they were sure to announce to everyone around them that they were family. I guess that makes it ok.

Foxhound 2 years, 7 months ago

Anyone that vandalizes a church or church property shouldn't be allowed to continue to be a Police Officer, much less the Sheriff.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 7 months ago

If I recall correctly he was terminated from his duties stemming from the incident.

kasoinalbany 2 years, 7 months ago

First of all you need to get the facts correct. The incident that happened was not in a patrol car and he was never charged with anything so a crime must not had been commited. Yes he was terminated but the Lord never closes one door that he does not open a bigger and better door. Mr. Cheshire is one of the most dedicated law officers I know. He cares more about the people he helps to protect than you will ever know. Yes my vote will go out to him in the 2012 election.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 7 months ago

That's your decision to vote for him. I'm not contesting that. You get what you deserve.

justme 2 years, 7 months ago

First and foremost, the state of Georgia is still in the dark ages with it's "AT WILL" work force.

Rachals fired people before he was even voted into office, by telling them in the media to find another job.

Neither Rachals or Cheshire are street cops, however they are the "local boys" who will split the vote, and one of them will continue with "selective enforcement" as long as they don't upset the likes of the GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM.

ConcernedChristian 2 years, 7 months ago

I am very concerned by all of the gossipping that is going on. Why don't people pray about the election. Also ask yourself what would Jesus do about all the negative comments that are being made. I could make negative comments but I am a Christian so I will pray about this election. It is not for us to be throwing stones. Have a blessed day and pray.