Squawk of the Day - Dec. 7, 2011

"Why should I work for a minimum wage job when the government will pay me just as much to stay home and do nothing?"

Comments

supersquawker 2 years, 10 months ago

Uhhhh.......personal pride maybe? Or just plain old human decency? How about obligation to take care of yourself and your family? Maybe because you follow the Biblical standard that "he who will not work...let him not eat" ?? You tell me.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 10 months ago

This is what is wrong with prolly 60% of Albany. It's so pathetic...

TheBoss 2 years, 10 months ago

What is just as bad is the ones that are collecting unemployment and receiving a paycheck at the same time, like some of my employees do.....and getting away with it!

LuLu 2 years, 10 months ago

You are part of the problem if you don't REPORT IT!!!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I have reported it before... it does no good... it IS the government I report it to, you know...

TheBoss 2 years, 10 months ago

It's the employee's responsibility to report that they are back at work to stop their unemployment payments. I don't know they are still collecting until I get my quarterly reports from the DOL showing that all the unemployment money is used.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

I work 40 hours a week because I want more out of life. I have pride. I dont want any handouts. Id rather be broke after paying all my bills than get a handout and sit on my butt all day.

bubbavet 2 years, 10 months ago

ANOTHER LIE REV. I WISH YOU WERE ON A LIE DETECTOR AND IT SHOCKED THE CRAP OUT YOU EVERY TIME YOU LIED.

VSU 2 years, 10 months ago

If you don't want to work for minimum wage, then perhaps better yourself to get one of those higher paying jobs. It's people like you that just settle for the minimum. I'm talking about minumum effort.

Beth 2 years, 10 months ago

I've had an epiphany! Instead of cutting social security and raising taxes...how 'bout we cut welfare benefits down to the bare minimum and give the recipients no choice but to make a living.

TheMember 2 years, 10 months ago

Beth, you are going to violate someones civil rights!! I just think the employers are not judging the inside of a person, they are judging the person they see in their pajama pants and bedroom shoes with their hair in curlers filling out the application. They need to look past the initial impression.

waltspecht 2 years, 10 months ago

I can't help but believe the Squaker did this as an example, not as reality. Just my thoughts.

TheMember 2 years, 10 months ago

I would agree, but the squawker is speaking for thousands of people hoping Obama extends the unemployment benefits.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, this squawker isnt the actual person walking to his mailbox for a living, but this is a common practice (and common attitude) in society today.

herewegoagain 2 years, 10 months ago

Unemployment Checks, Welfare Checks, Foodstamps, Disability Checks

In order to recieve one of these you ought to be required to take a drug test. Gripes my you know what to be in line paying with hardearned money that I have earned at my place of employment after being subjected to drug and alcohol testing. Look ahead or behind me in line and you have a person paying with foodstamps, pull out a roll of $100s to pay for cigarettes and beer, talking on an iPhone, carrying a coach pocketbook, with a new hairdo, go out get in a new ride, with a $3000 stereo rattling all surrounding windows. I climb in my old ford pickup truck that is on its last leg, but till I can afford something different I will continue to patch it up to get me back and forth to WORK!!!!

Chazzim 2 years, 10 months ago

This is the problem with Albany right here. The mindset of rather staying at home and live off other people's taxes rather than making a living yourself. I believe welfare is in need of a reform big time. I think a person receiving welfare should only get an increase when they have 2 kids anything more they won't get a dime more. That will stop these people from having six to seven kids. It isn't fair that a hard working family can only afford one or two children but a person on welfare can have as many as she wants because the government will foot the bill. And these kids grows up to be in gangs and end up in jail or in the grave. Why? Because they didn't have the proper upbringing like a person who was raised by both parents. These welfare parents don't give a crap about their kids they are just their to increase their income. Sad but true. So how do we stop it? By not increasing their income when they have more than 2. In China if a couple has more than 2 babies they kill the rest. Too many people are taking advantage of the welfare system just because they DO NOT want to work not that they CAN NOT work. That is why this town is in the situation it is. It is sad a person who fought for this country can end up homeless and not get a dime from the government who sent him to war but at the same time a person who hasn't done crap for this country can get a free check and free food every month. What is wrong with that picture? This angers me. I do love what Kentucky and Florida are doing, they are making these welfare people take drug tests!!!! That is what needs to happen. IF you can't work why should our taxes buy your drugs? If they test positive no welfare for you!

carbonrob 2 years, 10 months ago

Chazzim for Mayor of Albany. No, wait, Chazzim for President!!!!!