Small fire prompts hotel evacuation

Hotel evacuated, damage limited to one room

ALBANY, Ga. — Patrons and staff on Friday morning were briefly evacuated from an Albany hotel after a small fire broke out in one of the rooms, fire officials say.

Fire engines responded to the Wingate Inn on Dawson Road around 10:15 a.m. Friday after reports of fire and smoke came into the Dougherty County E-911 center.

Roughly 75 customers and staff members were waiting outside when the units responded. Deputy Albany Fire Chief Ron Rowe said it was his understanding that the fire was electrical in nature and originated from the bathroom exhaust fan in one of the rooms.

He said that hotel staff managed to put the fire out with an extinguisher before the first units arrived, but that there was significant amounts of smoke that had to cleared from the building.

YouTube video

Small fire at Wingate Inn


Sign in to comment