0

Residential blaze tied to space heater as ignition point

ALBANY — A space heater placed too close to combustible material sparked a West Desota Street residence fire Monday morning. The fire raged on for 30 to 45 minutes while reaching into the attic before Albany Fire Department firefighters were called to the fully involved home, fire investigator Sam Harris said.

“The heater was next to a chair, and the chair caught on fire,” Harris said. “Remember that space heaters need space. You need to keep a 3-foot area around it clear so it doesn’t ignite anything.”

No one was at home at the time of the fire, and firefighters took the fire and its hot spots down in about 25 minutes, Harris said.

“No one was injured,” he added.