Breaking News

Lewis-Polite wins DCSS Teacher of the Year April 17, 2014

0

Looking Back Jan. 9

Photo by Vicki Harris

Photo by Vicki Harris

Each week Albany Herald researcher Mary Braswell looks for interesting events, places and people from the past. You can contact her at (229) 888-9371 or mary.braswell@albanyherald.com.

1916

The Albany City Council granted 21 near-beer (beverages containing less than 0.5% alcohol by volume) licenses. People often added a little extra illicit alcohol to their near beer, turning it into so-called "spiked" or "needle" beer, a reference to punching a small hole into a keg for the purpose of adding alcohol.

1921

Albany Trust and Bank Company added general banking features to its other services. At one time, this bank was known as Citizens First National.

Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Son of Tarzan" was showing at the Cozy. The film promised "thrills, fights, romance and sensation," all for just 10 cents in the afternoon and 20 cents in the evening.

1927

An old-time fiddlers' convention, sponsored by the Broad Street School PTA, was held at the Municipal Auditorium. Fiddlers from throughout the southern part of the state participated in the two-night event. In addition to fiddling, a buck and wing dance contest took place both nights.

1933

Georgia resuscitated an 80-year-old carpetbag law and turned it into a weapon against communism. It provided that any person guilty of attempting to incite insurrection would be punished by death or long imprisonment. Originally passed to discourage slave rebellions, the law was revised in the late 1860s to address insurrection but largely forgotten thereafter. Despite years of neglect, the statute became prosecutors' preferred tool for pursuing radicals in the years that followed.

1939

A report was filed with Dougherty County officials stating that the number of building permits for the year just ending (1938) totaled 255. That number was up 40 percent over 1937. Also, 10 dilapidated structures were demolished and 151 wood-shingle roofs in the city were replaced with fire-retardant materials.

1942

One month and one day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the first buildings of the new Georgia Air Depot were completed. Located on a former dairy farm, the base for the Army Air Corps would later become Warner Robins Air Force Base.

1949

W.E. Tarpley retired from his position as "high sheriff" of Lee County after 23 years in office. Aside from his law enforcement career, Tarpley was a longtime farmer in the Palmyra District.

The Albany Board of Education announced that a new school for black students would be ready to open in February. The Carver Park School would house 164 sixth graders,128 seventh graders and 148 eighth graders.

1953

Georgia Power began laying an eight-mile, 110,000-volt electric supply line from Plant Mitchell to the Albany Marine Supply Depot. The project was expected to take about three weeks and cost about $50,000.

1954

The Hudson Motor Car Company merged with the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation to form the American Motors Corporation (AMC).

1960

Registration for a new class in practical nursing was underway. One-third of the year-long course would take place in the classroom and laboratory. The remaining time was to be spent in training at Phoebe Putney Hospital. The classes were offered through the Albany Vocational School located at the Municipal Auditorium. The cost to register was $20.

Judge Abner Israel and Albany Police Chief Laurie announced plans to begin a traffic school for first offenders in lieu of paying a fine.

1965

SOWEGA Youth Home submitted plans to its board of directors to secure a site for building its own facility. The home rented on Radium Springs Road was housing 16 boys and girls with no room for the six or more on the waiting list.

1972

A group of Albany High School students presented a petition to the Dougherty County Board of Education asking that an area on campus be set aside for students wishing to smoke, without faculty harassment.

The Albany Area Chamber of Commerce announced its backing of the construction of five dams along the Flint River.

1977

Super Bowl XI was played in Pasadena. The Oakland Raiders defeated the Minnesota Vikings by a score of 32-14. Tickets were $20. Face value of tickets in 2009: $500, $800 and $1,000.

1981

Services commemorating the birthday of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr featured addresses by local leaders Mary Young, Billy Black and C.W. Grant. The guest speaker was Capt. Richard E. Williams, Florida's inspector general. The services concluded with a march from Albany State College to the City-County Governmental Building.

1986

Pop Secret Microwave Popcorn was introduced by General Mills.

1994

The Albany -Dougherty Inner City Authority (ADICA) voted to purchase a block of riverfront property from the estate of Sam Farkas for $120,000. A park was planned for the property, bound by the Flint River, West Broad Street, South Front Street and West Oglethorpe. ADICA wanted the property beautified- it was the home of George Auto Sales and Goldcoast Complete Detail Shop.

2007

Apple Computer introduced the iPhone.