Man faces life in prison if found guilty of fatal beating

ALBANY, Ga. -- According to testimony, "She's just a woman, help me out" was Monty C. Simpson's response when he was arrested for beating Beverly Williams in August 2009.

Seven months later Simpson was arrested again; this time for beating Williams to death on March 15.

Simpson stands charged with malice murder, felony murder and aggravated assault. Simpson's trial before nine female and five male jurors began Tuesday in the Albany-Dougherty Judicial Building.

"Monty Simpson beat and strangled his girlfriend Beverly Williams to death," said Kathy Fallin, assistant district attorney. "He has beaten her before. He can get life in prison without parole."

Fallin was attempting to establish a pattern of brutality and abuse by Simpson that would eventually lead him. she said, to kill Williams.

Before the couple moved into the Dollar Inn they resided at the Superior Creek Lodge. On the witness stand Bertram Ashley, the lodge assistant manager, said that on August 29 he saw "a lady come flying out the door of a room, hit the steel guardrail head first and then slide down."

When police arrived they found Williams back in the room with abrasions and lacerations to her face and hands while Simpson stood over her with his hands balled in fists, Fallin said.

Officer Janel Herring asked for identification from Simpson. She said he showed her a $20 bill and said Herring could have it if she did not arrest him.

Herring said, "I told him that wasn't an ID."

According to testimony, Simpson then turned to Officer Christopher Richardson and made the remark about Williams only being a woman.

Defense attorney Leisa Johnson played a recording of Simpson's December trial for the earlier beating. On the recording Williams defended Simpson.

Williams described herself as a mental patient with bipolar disorder who was suicidal in the bathroom at the lodge.

"We were drinking and I started having illusions, hearing voices in the bathroom," Williams said. "He got me out of the bathroom. We're friends. He has been helping me for seven years."

After the recording played, Fallin asked Herring how often victims of abuse disclaimed they suffered abuse.

Herring said, "All the time."

The murder trial continues today.