Accused shooter turns 17 while in custody

View Girl Shot in face in a larger map

ALBANY -- A 17-year-old man is in jail charged with aggravated assault in connection with the shooting of a 13-year-old girl Monday afternoon, the Albany Police Department reported.

Lyndasha Davis was hit in the chin by a bullet fired by someone on the 1700 block of Gadsden Drive around 5:45 p.m. Monday. The shooting occurred after two groups of males in the area became involved in an altercation, said Phyllis Banks, police spokeswoman.

"While on the scene, detectives and officers gathered information from witnesses, which helped them develop a 16-year-old suspect," Banks said. "After interviewing him, detectives charged Patrick Stokes, who turned 17 during the investigation at midnight."

Stokes was arrested on the 900 block of South Maple Street and taken to the Dougherty County Jail after questioning. He was booked on aggravated assault charges, the report added. Additional charges from the APD Gang Unit are pending.

Lyndasha was taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital on Monday. A hospital official said today that she was released Monday night.

In unrelated gunplay, shots were fired around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday during an altercation that sent police to the 1200 block of Gillespie at the 400 block of Poplar Street. According to police reports, the altercation resulted in a man firing at least 10 rounds at his attackers, Banks said. No one was hit, she added.

Alfred Hunter Jr., 18, was arrested for discharging a weapon on a public road, reckless conduct, possession of a firearm without a license and possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime.

The fight involved Hunter and several residents living at 408 Poplar St. after he fired shots, Banks said.

Earlier in the investigation police taped off the streets involved while they searched with a metal detector for a handgun, Banks said. The case remains under investigation.

Lyndasha Davis was standing in an area on Gadsden Avenue when she was struck by the bullet, Albany Police Department spokesperson Phyllis Banks said.

The injury was not considered to be life-threatening, Banks said.

Banks said that preliminary indications were that two groups of males got into a fight near the 1700 and 1800 blocks of Gadsden Avenue around 5:45 p.m. when shots were fired.

Police and members of the city's gang unit canvassed the area looking for possible suspects. Witnesses to the shooting were quickly taken to the APD's Law Enforcement Center for questioning. Police were questioning a person of interest in the case Monday night.

In a related incident, an Albany police officer was involved in a minor car crash while looking for suspects, Banks said.

The crash happened near Heard Avenue and no injuries were reported.