Warrant: Albany city judge hit wife with beer bottle

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

ALBANY, Ga. -- An arrest warrant filed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation contends that Albany Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver hit his wife in the head with a beer bottle on the night she turned up at an Albany hospital with a laceration to the head.

Signed by Judge R.J. Lane and sworn out by Special Agent Matt Marchant of the GBI, the warrant states that on May 21, Weaver "did commit the offense of Aggravated Assault when he did use an object, TO WIT: a beer bottle ... by striking a person, TO WIT: Vester Weaver, in the face with said object, resulting in serious bodily injury, TO WIT: a laceration above her left eye."

Weaver was booked into the custody of the Dougherty County Sheriff's Office and immediately released on a $10,000 bond Friday.

The warrant further states that the incident occurred at an address listed in local directories as being the home of Albany Police Capt. Mack Green.

While neither the warrant nor the incident report say whether Green was at home at the time of the incident, Albany Police Spokesperson Phyllis Banks told The Herald Tuesday that there was no immediate word as to whether an internal investigation had been launched to determine if the department's standard operating procedure had been broken.

According to the incident report, which was taken by police from Vester Weaver at Palmyra Medical Center early in the morning of May 22, the incident occurred sometime between 11 p.m. on May 21 and 12:26 a.m. on May 22.

Johnnie Graham, who is serving as Willie Weaver's attorney in the matter, told reporters when Weaver surrendered to authorities Friday that he had no immediate comment but that there would be a time to lay out his case.

"He does not have any comment," Graham said. Those will be made by me at the appropriate time. "This case will be tried in the court, as it should be."

Weaver, who as judge of Municipal Court works at the pleasure of the Albany City Commission, was the topic of an impromptu closed-door session following the commission's May 24 pre-briefing meeting, but no formal action has been taken.