'Courageous' nears $30 million mark

Garrett Tukes, left, buys a ticket from box office cashier Bridget Williams for the premiere showing of Sherwood’s “Courageous” Friday afternoon at Wynnsong Theater.

ALBANY -- As of Monday afternoon, "Courageous," the fourth film made by the moviemaking arm of Sherwood Baptist Church, had made $27.8 million.

The Sherwood Pictures film, which cost $2 million to make, collected $9.1 million its opening weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. Opening in 1,161 theaters, it had a per-theater average of $7,849 its first three days of release.

Based on the figures from Monday, the film is ranked No. 10 overall. So far, it has not dropped below the No. 11 spot.

"Every day, we hear from hundreds of people thanking Sherwood for making 'Courageous,'" said Kris Fuhr, vice president of Provident Films. "We recently passed 300,000 Facebook fans and are thankful for the impact of the movie and the continued support of moviegoers everywhere."

In the days since its Sept. 30 public premiere, "Courageous'" widest release has been in 1,214 theaters in the United States. The film is also showing in Canada, Latin America and Australia, according to the movie's website.

On Friday, there were more than 100 additional theaters that "Courageous" opened in -- including theaters in Blue Ridge, Decatur and Eastman.

It is now playing in 1,134 theaters.

The most recent updates of Box Office Mojo have the film ranked among the top 100 movies within the past year. Readers of the platform have given the movie an overall grade of "B+" with 83.1 percent giving it a grade of "A."

"Courageous" is the fourth film to be released by Sherwood after "Flywheel," "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof." The most recent predecessor, "Fireproof," grossed slightly more than $33 million in theaters.

The $33 million gross included the $6.8 million in ticket sales it had made on its opening weekend in September 2008.

Comments

supersquawker 3 years, 1 month ago

"Sherwood Pictures Ministries" (aka SPM) should release its earnings statement as well as Source and Use of Funds accounting to its members (tithing and non-tithing) and also to the general public as a gesture of goodwill and financial transparency consistent with ECFA (Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability) principles. No Comment = Hiding Something. Refer to ecfa.org.

supersquawker 3 years, 1 month ago

Also note that the "Top Rating" of the film comes from the cult-like group American Family Radio, the same group that continues to predict the "End of the World" every few months. Credibility = ZER0, just fyi. They don't seem to want to mention this fact.

Justice4Moma 3 years, 1 month ago

StrongAnd they pay no taxes to Albany,then they cant take care of there own child prograham.Something is not right here.GOD SAY'S HE DOES NOT WANT OUR BURNt OFFERINGS,JUST OUR LOVE..So where is all the money going.Well if you go in some of the clinics in Albany loook on the walls.Some have sighns saying that if you are an illeagel,they will help you get your USA rights,teach you english,and help you find a home. Why not help the ones here that need the help.We cant take care of the people we have now in this town,and for them to turn away there own people,what does this say to Albany.Hey the movie maybe good,i dont know,but i will not pay to see it for them to help others than there own.Im sorry but this is hard times right now.

whattheheck 3 years, 1 month ago

Sherwood has been very successful in its movie venture. The films produced have been of the type Hollywood would not touch and are certainly "wholesome". Obviously there is a big difference between reported gross earnings and what will wind up in Sherwood's hands. But it is safe to say the amount will be substantial. And as Super says, there should be some public information put out on what happens with money from the non-profit. How about releasing some IRS Form 990s?

Sixty 3 years, 1 month ago

@ Justice4moma - It is your choice to not go see the movie. Your reasoning is crazy. Do you go see other movies? I am sure all of the Hollywood movies spend a lot of money made on their pictures to help other people. I do not know where Sherwood spends their money. I do know that they spend a ton of money helping people in Albany as well as around the US and world. As far as their child program is concerned, it was one of the smartest moves they ever made to close that down. The cost of running a daycare and keeping your building up to code is astronomical (not counting the liabilaty insurance cost). Surewood could probably afford it right now but in the long run, it would be a money pit. The Administration at Sherwood has to run their church like a business. They can not just throw money away. The movies do bring in money but how long will that last?You do not spend every penny you get. What if they never make another movie? You can not outspent your tithes. You can not count movie money as a stable income. @ Supersquawker - What is your point about where the top rating comes from??? You sound like a cynical little ....... Have you seen industry leaving the area? Do you realize what kind of reputation Albany has nationwide? The area is hurting. Here you have a church that is bringing in money to the area. A church that is making positive movies that are being successful across the nation. Movies that lift Albany up instead to tearing it down. Movies that bring money into the economy. In spite of this, you want to try and put a negative spin on it. Throw a little bit of doubt and deception out there for people to grab on to. You my friend are what's wrong with Albany. Please go back in your little hole. I did not realize that "occcupy wall street" had quit illegally camping out in parks. What happend? Did they make you take your tent down and go home?

Outtahere 3 years, 1 month ago

You sure like to point out other people's "crazy way of thinking"!! How about yours?? These are your words: "They can not just throw money away." How is taking care of children from our community "throwing money away"? Even though some aspects of a church organization have to be handled as a business - some do not! If Jesus operated everything "like a business" then compassion, grace, and mercy would not exist. Investing in children means more than money - especially if you have a substantial income coming in. I am not judging their decision, just your comments!

albanyherald1 3 years, 1 month ago

It was a daycare people! Daycares should be able to stay open due to the parents paying for childcare. Apparantly there were numerous parents with large debts owed to this facility. NO daycare can operate with that going on. Alot of the people who took their children there are able bodied people who had the means to pay for daycare, like the rest of us have done. Just because they either choose not to work or choose not to pay their daycare fees, is not the concern of the church (I am not a Sherwood member by the way). It is not an outreach program when most of the families utilizing it are able to pay for daycare regardless. When my kids were growing up I would've loved to have someone else pay my fees. But that is not reality.

whattheheck 3 years, 1 month ago

Herald is right. If the issue is parents not paying, it should fold. Churches do not have an obligation to provide daycare and if the decision is to close, so be it.

Sixty 3 years, 1 month ago

SBC has the right to close their daycare doors if they want without getting pressed. Running a daycare is a business. Because SBC closed their daycare does not mean they are not taking care of children. I am not a member of sbc but have been there. They have an incredible children's ministry. Would be willing to bet no church around can match it. Running a daycare is not a ministry.. Any paid employees and other bills. Taking big losses on a daycare is not an option. Please tell me you can understand this.

Outtahere 3 years, 1 month ago

Um, DUH!!!!!!! That is why I replied in the first place - BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!! Jeez, what is with some of you people not reading the posts before responding!!!! "Running a daycare is not a ministry" You are exactly right. BUT IT IS A MINISTRY WHEN YOU ARE A CHURCH!!!! HELLO!!! Churches are ministies and everything that branches from them!!! They can do what they want but closing a daycare facitlity when a few of the parents don't pay is punishing everyone and not the ones who are responsible!! I'm sure that the money that is owed from the few that didn't pay is not enough to break them. Even so, it is their choice. Now I now that "Business" and "the bottom dollar" is what is most important to Sherwood at the end of the day! Yeah, exactly the attitude I want my church to have! NOT!!!

Cartman 3 years, 1 month ago

I am not a Sherwood member and I say: May God continue to bless the staff and congregation of Sherwood for supporting their movie ministry! Thank You!

As far as their daycare center is concerned: It's none of my business. If you didn't contribute money or are not a member, then why does it concern you? If it really bothers you that much for them to shut down the daycare, then you should be motivated enough to start up its replacement.

Quit being an obstacle. Be part of the love.

supersquawker 3 years, 1 month ago

I think the definition of "ministry" is basically reaching out to people in grace and mercy to assist them without expecting anything in return.

Outtahere 3 years, 1 month ago

Why yes it is!!! But as sixty and albany 21 say: A daycare should be run "as a business"! Give me a break!!! Ministry is helping people, even those that don't deserve it from time to time!!!

noname 3 years, 1 month ago

The thing that bothers me is that all these ladies that work at the daycare are out of work with no severence package and are not eligible for unemployment because Sherwood is a "non-profit." It really bothers me that Sherwood would treat so many employees like that.

billybob 3 years, 1 month ago

Sixty said "the Administration at Sherwood has to run their church like a business." No they don't, and that's the problem. If they ran things like a buisness then the people who are losing their jobs due to the daycare center closing would receive unemployment benefits. I think people are frustrated at Sherwood because this church acts like a church when it suits them (no taxes, no unemployment benefits, no audited financials) and then acts like a buisness when it suits them (closing "unprofitable" business units, licensing revenue, etc.) That is hypocrisy no matter how you slice it.

churchinsider 3 years, 1 month ago

I really have been struggling as to if I wanted to post a comment on this article or not. Since I am directly affected, I am trying to get over the anger and get to figuring out I am going to support my family with half the income. However, I have decided to say a few words.

Yes, I agree that SBC has the right to do what it so well pleases with it's day care but here are a few points that just rub me the wrong way.

First, it does not matter how much money they make on Courageous or what they do with the money but why in the world would they continually decline to comment when asked about the money. I understand that out of all these millions SBC will only see maybe $5 million but I think that the parents and staff deserve an honest answer to this question.

Second, I still cannot get my head around that fact that a church of this size is not protecting it's staff by paying unemployment taxes or insurance. My family already lives pay check to pay check and now at the most important time of year we are left with no job nothing to help get us back on our feet. I have not hear any mention of a severance package. I think that one weeks pay for every year you have been with the church is very fair.

Third, I cannot believe the timing of this closing. I believe that it's a slap in the face to Alex Kendrick. I personally know Alex and know that he has poured everything that God has given him into this movie. I truly believe that God has sheltered this story from the national media because of the few God fearing people that poured everything into this movie.

Finally, this situation never had to happen. If the administration at SBC would have removed the problem two years ago then this day care would not be closing. Instead, the SBC administration allowed Merry Johnson to continue to destroy the daycare. Keep in mind, this is the second children's program at SBC that has been closed under her directorship.

Oh, and one last point. I love the fact that all we have heard from Jim McBride but we still have not heard from Brother Michael. Not even a mention in a worship service to pray for these people.