Group making push to get more parents involved

From left, Dougherty High student Devin Green, Parent Volunteer Constance Green and DHS teacher Marjorie Slaughter were at the East Albany Walmart last Saturday urging parents of Dougherty County students to get involved in their children’s education.

ALBANY, Ga. — Constance Green says Dougherty County’s school children are “falling through the cracks every day” and she wants parents to help plug those gaps.

A parent volunteer and member of the Parents Advisory Boards at Dougherty High and Dougherty Middle school, Green says parents need to communicate with educators and counselors to help keep their children on the right path.

“After meeting with Dr. (Joshua) Murfree (DCSS Superintendent), we remembered he was asking for parents to become involved with their childrens’ education,” Green said. “We were wondering how to do it. So we decided to be like politicians during election year, put on our t-shirts, make up some signs and wave them at cars and talk to people.”

Last Saturday, the group took its efforts to the East Albany Walmart and talked to curious parents.

“We told the people that it takes a community to raise a child — they are our future,” Green said. “Parents need to communicate with their kids’ teachers so they will know what’s going on the Suzy and Johnny.

“We are trying to help parents understand there are many ways to communicate, like through email and through web sites like I-Parents, which will help them spot potential problems before they start.”

Green added that most of the schools in the Dougherty County System offer extra help for children who need it.

“The schools offer tutoring programs for students who need help, all parents have to do is sign their kids up” Green said. “But we want everybody to step up, the students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community needs to stand up and hold hands around the children.”

Green said anyone who wants more information about the group’s activities can call (229) 449-7868.

Comments

GeorgiaAl 3 years ago

Good luck to y'all. I got 3 children through high school as a working single parent. I didn't rely on "community" but my own value and priority of being educated and instilled that in my children. No, it wasn't easy...."Community" seemed to always be pulling the other direction with all of its mind numbing "glitz" and distractions. I went to PTOPTA meetings and teachers conferences even though they were passing with skills learned. I thank the Herald for printing this article and God be with you in this endeavor......Keep encouraging the parents!!!!!!

Momof3 3 years ago

I commend you GeorgiaAl on being a single parent raising 3 kids. I too am single and have 3, (high, middle and elementary schools) and honestly I can say I have been blessed with some good kids. Grades are excellent and no issues in school. But I just feel like my three have it but I know a few of their friends don't have the same support or skills and if I can help just one of them, then maybe that will be the push they need. With you already having raised yours and them doing well, we need parents like you who can encourage us yopunger parents and maybe some other kids that who like I said, don't have the same luxury as our kids do. My kids do well, but I still am open to any and all positive and good advice on things I may not know. But you are right when you say "keep encouraging the parents" because that is what some of the kids in the DCSS need.

Momof3 3 years ago

I will be calling today.... Thank you Mrs. Green for all your efforts!!

Citizen_A 3 years ago

I don't think we need to rely on the "Community" to raise everyone's kids, but we as a community should come together and be a voice that holds our school system accountable and make sure that our children are getting the best education the school system can give. I do all the things those ladies suggest, but some children don't get the same support. But if a group like theirs can help those children, lets give them the support they need. I myself hope to be able to help them. I hope more parents will step up. It may be the kick this system needs to start cleaning up it's act.

billybob 3 years ago

I would trust the "community" that put this intellectually challenged school board into office to raise a goat, much less a child. In fact, I think that "it takes a community" mentality is problematic. The community if full of a bunch or criminals, freeloaders and morons. How else do you explain supporting someone like Junebug?

whodat 3 years ago

Parents, listen up! One thing you could do that would help immensely.....give your correct, current phone numbers to the school and/or teachers so that contact, when necessary, can be made in a timely fashion. Teachers can't keep you up-to-date on your child's progress or behavior if they can't reach you.