Blogger acquires Albany Journal

Tom, Knighton, blogger and owner of Knighton Media Inc., has purchased the Albany Journal, an area weekly newspaper. Knighton said that as far as he is aware, this is the first time a blogger has purchased a newspaper.

ALBANY. Ga. — The Albany Journal, an area weekly newspaper, has been purchased by Knighton Media Inc., said Tom Knighton, owner of the corporation and an area political blogger.

For the past several years, The Journal has been owned and operated by Kevin Hogencamp.

According to Knighton, who writes a column for the weekly, The Journal will change official ownership on Nov. 1. Knighton’s first edition will be available the following day.

“The Nov. 2 issue will be totally mine,” Knighton said. “Up until then, Kevin will be looking over my shoulder. He’s been a tremendous help.”

Knighton’s day job, which is winding down, is at Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany, where he oversees the disposal of equipment that would be used in a toxic chemical or biological environment. He may be better known, however, as a local political blogger at his former site, SWGAPolitics.com or his new one, Laws-n-Sausages.com. On both sites, Knighton identifies his political beliefs as Libertarian.

“As far as I know,” Knighton said, “this could be the first time ever that a blogger has bought a newspaper.”

Knighton said that “for reasons of his own,” Hogencamp and his family are planning to relocate from the Albany area and that decision prompted the move to sell The Journal. Hogencamp could not be reached for comment.

“I got an email from Kevin,” Knighton said. “It said, ‘I’m looking to relocate and do you want to buy my paper?’ That was a real no-brainer. I’d wanted to be a newspaperman since I was a kid.”

Knighton said there would be very few changes to The Journal format or content, “at least right away.” He did reveal plans to start a book review section, where works of local or regional authors would be highlighted for Journal readers.

“Kevin Hogencamp did a fine job making the Journal into the family weekly it is today. For me to come in and change all that would be a roadmap for disaster,” Knighton said.

Comments

Geeze 3 years, 2 months ago

It has been clear that since Al Lott left, Kevin Hogencamp has had the wind knocked out of his sails. Not really anything for him to report on when his personal vendetta against Lott came to an abrupt end. Hogencamp hurt a lot of innocent people in his quest to get back at Lott - everyone was fair game. Where's Hogencamp going - Wash DC where he can continue to follow Lott around? Good riddance to both of them, I hope they get what they gave.

Jack_Frost 3 years, 2 months ago

Geeze,

Yeah, it's like like Lott actually DID any of those things...oh wait, that's right. He DID. Hogencamp didn't print a blasted thing that wasn't true, so get over it.

Cartman 3 years, 2 months ago

Quit fussing about Kevin Hogencamp and Al Lott for a moment. Everyone is missing the real story. Tom learned and accomplished a lot when he started and ran SWGA Politics. He learned that blogging can actually influence and expose what would otherwise go unnoticed. Tom has paid his dues. Owning a local paper might just be a stepping stone to a much greater future. Personally, I think its inspirational. Amidst the economic misery and deterioration of our time; here is someone making his move to live the American dream! Good Luck Tom and Give 'em Hell!

KaosinAlbany 3 years, 2 months ago

Geeze, is your real last name Marietta? LOL

KaosinAlbany 3 years, 2 months ago

Geez, you really don't know where Kevin is going so quit trying to stir up some bs. Best wishes, Tom.

BettyR 3 years, 2 months ago

I have worked for Kevin Hogencamp since March. He is a good boss and a good person. Al Lott was a blight on Albany. Kevin turned the Journal around and made it a great local paper. Tom will continue that trend. I can honestly say I am proud to work for the Albany Journal.

Justice4Moma 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope all goes well for Kevin where ever he goes.He did a great job with the paper.He told the truth.Thats why alot did not like him.But that is what Albany needs honest reports about people who dont know how to speak up for there selfs,or are scared to.In Albany the Good Ole Boys did nt get half of what should have been said about them.Let Kevin be,he will do good anywhere he goes becuase he is honest. Now for Tom,way to go.I know you will do the paper good.Although Kevin and will be missed,i know tom will carrie own with the honest things people in Albany need to know. God Bless you and Yours Kevin,you will be missed.

TrixibelleBento 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope that Mr. Knighton will report more positive stories about the good in our community rather than trying to dog the City of Albany continually. It just made Mr. Hogencamp look bad and biased. I hope that he can move on with his life and relocate to a community that is better suited to his family.

Justice4Moma 3 years, 2 months ago

I would rahter have someone dogging the people who run this city and get to the truth,than like most people who sit on there butts and say nothing.I dont see where he dogged anyone,he told it like it was.And if all those he so called dogged would have answered the questions asked of them instead of hidding behind there jobs,this whole town would be better off.And i hope the Journal keeps up trying to find out the truth for us who are shut ins,that cant get out and go to meetings.There is so much wrong doing going on here,someone has to tell it like it is.It seems as if the Herald is doing a good job of that now. Me,i have lost all faith in the justice system in Georgia.Maybe some people have to go through what i have been with them to understand the cover ups.But at any given time people can see it,just go to some of the trials being held,not just the big ones,the small ones matter to.And they are the ones that get covered up cuz no one shives a git.Its not them so why should they care.One day it may be you.So loook at the whole picture.Not just what our elected Officals would like you to see. I have no doubt that Tom willl be good at what he does with the paper.But still want the truth about what and who is going around in our town.You should to. And if i ever spell anything wrong,like some do sometimes and get made fun of,think back to a time that you could not spell,or get so mad about something that you hit the wrong key.

iko 3 years, 2 months ago

I think a lot of these anti-Hogencamp posters are Roger Marietta pumpers who simply want all of Albany's dirt swept under the rug so that taxpayers don't know how badly they're getting robbed.