CRCT fallout plan revealed

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

— With the state investigation into Criterion-Referenced Competency Test cheating in the Dougherty County School System entering its final days, Superintendent Joshua Murfree acknowledged for the first time Monday that some school administrators and teachers will likely lose their jobs.

“We are prepared; we’re not just sitting around waiting on the final report,” Murfree said. “We are on point and ready to take action, but we are also not going to just throw anyone under the bus.”

The Herald obtained a copy of Murfree’s initial blueprint for dealing with a crisis that, according to sources familiar with the investigation, could result in as many as 10 principals and 50 teachers either resigning or being fired.

The plan, entitled “The CRCT: The Proactive Stance For Achievement,” lists eight areas of focus: among them identifying the possibility of lost positions; preparing the community; holding news conferences to keep students, teachers, administrators and the community updated; and moving forward in the probe’s aftermath.

“We are moving forward right now,” Murfree said. “We have vision and a plan in place, and if replacements are necessary, we will hire competent replacement teachers and administrators. The welfare of our students and educators will be at the forefront.

“We’re suffering a hiccup right now, but we are still moving forward.”

Investigator and former Georgia Attorney General Mike Bowers said Tuesday that the team expects to receive the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s final summaries today.

“We’ll look at the summaries and then figure out where we are,” Bowers said. “Right now we are running a little behind, but we are certain to be completely finished by Thanksgiving.”

After the investigation’s findings are released in a report to Gov. Nathan Deal sometime in December, Bowers said what happens next in Dougherty County will “depend on the governor.”

According to sources, the school system is reportedly in the process if setting up an administrative tribunal which will determine the fate of the teachers, administrators and principals brought before it.

The investigation into the exams administered to first- through eighth-graders in Atlanta and Dougherty County began last August at the direction of then-Gov. Sonny Perdue. At issue was the number of erasures on the 2009 CRCTs in which wrong answers were corrected.

State officials were concerned that at some schools in Atlanta and Dougherty County there were unusually high numbers of corrections. The findings of state investigations into Atlanta’s schools were announced July 5.

Among other things, the governor’s report found cheating in 44 of the 56 Atlanta schools examined and said that 178 teachers and principals in the schools had been involved in the cheating or should have known it was going on.

Dougherty County had the state’s second-highest number of flagged schools with 14, more than half of the system’s 26 schools. The probe narrowed the focus to 11 elementary schools.

CRCT investigators, bolstered by 15 special agents from the GBI, began the DCSS investigation in early August and wrapped up the probe’s initial phase last month.

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 11 months ago

Anyone want to bet a Beef Chili Dog from Hot Dog King on how Junebug votes on terminations? Mrs. Whatley has accepted final responsibility, as she should, so what will that mean?

bany_baby 2 years, 11 months ago

This is so sad. I honestly believe that any of the teachers and administrators that may have been involved in the cheating have learned their lesson. I think to fire them and have them resign is just too much. I could maybe understand it better if the students did not do well on the CRCT last year when the test was guarded like the White House. I'm sorry for anybody having to go through this. At the end of the day this is all political and that's my opinion.

Momof3 2 years, 11 months ago

The firing or resignation of 10 principals and 50 teachers is more than a "hiccup" Dr. Murfree. You have 1600+ students that will be effected by this mess that was made. How easy is it going to be to just "find" competent teachers and administrators here in town to replace those people. I do not just want anyone off the street to fill a spot just so your plan will take effect. My children's educaiton is important to me as I hope it is for everyone else in Dougherty County, so I PRAY that you have already started the interviewing process of people so that the transition can be as smooth as possible... IF that is possible. Sighhh......

gotanyfacts 2 years, 11 months ago

To bany_baby. It is always sad when someone loses a job, even when it is of their own doing. However, I question what lesson they may have learned. Hopefully, they already had knowledge that cheating is wrong. Did they learn that getting caught is a reality? There should be greater sadness in the fact that so many in charge of our children lacked the character to do what was right.

lmerie 2 years, 11 months ago

More than a "hiccup" and more than just political. It was Washington politics putting an unreasonable expectation on States. States putting pressure on counties. Counties jumping thru hoops to please those above. Pressure on Principles and Teachers that in turn, made a choice that teaches our children a lesson more important than politics - dishonesty is the Answer. I would have rather my children see these adults show honesty as an action. Values. While I feel for the teachers, this also makes me angry that this could be handled as a slap on the hand. There is no practical way to handle it, but as I have wished in the past, I wish the teachers, nationwide, would say enough and protest or find a legal way to get there point across to Washington. I wish Superintendents would step up and lead the way for their work family, for the students in the community.

Cartman 2 years, 11 months ago

I think their names should be published; they should be barred from teaching; and they should be criminally prosecuted. Why would we hesitate to treat corrupt public employees any other way?

chinaberry25 2 years, 11 months ago

bany_baby, of course they should all be fired. They should also go to prison and that is not off the table. If you are willing to promote dishonesty, then that is what you will get. They should also have their teaching certificate revoked. They are playing the devil with taxpayers money. Turning out poorly educated children and you want to give them a pat on the back. You must be one of the chosen to get welfare and never pay a dime in taxes in your life. To you I do hope you are not one of them.

rock 2 years, 11 months ago

integrity has to be on the fore front of everyone, most of all to the people we intrust to educate our children. What messgae is sent when an educator is caught cheating and then allowed to stay on and teach. Also, as an adult, being told to cheat may be the norm, but actually doing the cheating is unacceptable. Educators have to be held at the highest standard, not just the acceptable standard. The leadership issuing the order to cheat should be jailed, the teachers? Fired and losing teaching creditionals at the minimum for lack of integrity and judgement errors. Jailed if they prove to be those who thought of it as joke and benefitted with 100k salaries.

wowmcjam 2 years, 11 months ago

Walter Specht as usual spreading his hate racist views one can tell that he must be a relative of Hitler!

bany_baby 2 years, 11 months ago

@chinaberry25, I am not on welfare, I work everyday and pay taxes just like any other citizen. I'm not promoting dishonesty, I just think its sad for so many people to lose their jobs and that's that. It is sad to me and I don't make excuses for it being sad to me, it just is!!! They are not turning out poorly educated children, there are outstanding students that come from the DCSS although I do believe that most of the learning takes place in the homes and from students having a supporting family. @cartman, If you want to talk about corrupt public employees, that can take all day on many levels...name one politician in this area that is not doing backhanded deals to get what they want at the end of the day @gotanyfacts, I know that cheating is wrong and it does not look good. However, Dougherty County and the Atlanta area schools are not the only schools were admins and teachers cheat. If there was not such a big squabble surrounding the unjustified hiring of Dr. Murfree as Superintendent then this issue would not be as big as it is. I am glad that the cheating has been brought into the light, however, punishment does not have to be firing qualified admins and teachers who got sucked up into a horrible act. Especially when the system is already filled with long term subs.

I have no problem with anyone who disagrees with me. It happens. At the end of the day, we, on this side, will never really know what all happened. We are not teachers (probably most of us commenting anyway) and we are not working with these kids every day.

Citizen_A 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree this is not a "hiccup"...more like the system is downright choking. And what do you do when someone is choking? You give them the Heimlich, and dislodge what is choking them. And you don't give it back to them to try and eat again! It's just another example of a lack of common sense in our society these days. "...for wide is the gate, and broad is the path that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go thereat:" I think many have forgotten the strait and narrow gate!!!!

Momof3 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't think we'll have to worry about them teaching anymore. If they follow suit like Atlanta, they will lose their certifications and not be allowed to teach.

And actually @bany_baby,there were alot of kids who did not do well this past year either on that test who had to take it during the summer just to move on o the next grade. And the sad part about that is, IF it had NOT been as guarded as you say, then how many would have "passed" that too like before. I have 3 children, one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school and thank God, I have no issues with them being able to learn and retain information so that they can pass. But if for ANY reason they are not learning or passing, I want to KNOW BEFORE HAND so I can help in any way possible. I don't want my child being given a grade for the sake of passing. If they fail, and they tried their best, then so be it. But right is right and wrong is wrong and cheating is wrong. If a kid cheats on a test, they are punished.. same rule applies here. And these are suppose to be the people MAKING the rules.... so

Citizen_A 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree that it's more than a hiccup...more like choking. And what do you do when someone is choking? Give them the Heimlich, and expel what is blocking the system. And you don't give it back to them to try and eat again. It's just another example of the lack of common sense society is lacking. "...for wide is gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:" And it seems like fols are running through it at full speed. Has everyone forgotten the strait and narrow gate?

Momof3 2 years, 11 months ago

@ bany_baby, you said " punishment does not have to be firing qualified admins. and teachers..."

While I agree, anyone getting fired in today's society is not a good thing, if they are qualified and know their jobs well, then the cheating would not have been an issue in the first place. If a child's teacher was one of the ones that got caught doing this, and he knows that (which he WILL because of media), and he is sitting there listening to them tell HIM that cheating is wriong and he shouldn't do it.. how well do you think those kids will listen to him? I mean seriously. We can tell our kids all we want, but if the adults, the ones they look up too are doing it, then something should be and has to be done about it. I know the government is putting all kinds of pressure on them as teachers with the No Child Left Behind Act, but all the more reason to buckle down and HELP the kids succeed,. not give them a free pass.

And I am working on my Masters in Special Education now, so I WANT to be in the classroom and work with these kids.

And you are right... none of us will totally agree, but as an adult as a person period.. we all have consequences for the acts WE decided to do. They could have said no, been honest but they didn't and now those consequences are coming to pass... but this is just my opinion.

mik178 2 years, 11 months ago

Who wants to bet that half the teachers fired will try to file some kind of suit and that a quarter or more of them will be teaching in dougherty county angain within two years! works for the fire department why not the board of education!

Jack_Frost 2 years, 11 months ago

bany_baby, You think they learned a lesson though? Oh, it's sad when someone loses their job, but not when their own actions are the cause of that. I'm sorry, but I refuse to feel bad for anyone who knowingly did wrong and got fired for it. The deserve what comes afterwards.

As for whether kids graduate from the DCSS as educated or not, don't hold up those that truly are exceptional like they're the standard. You have to look at the weakest link, those students who are graduating and can't even read a job application. There's a big difference. Those kids you mentioned, that are well educated? Those kids would probably thrive anywhere, because of a variety of factors that have nothing to do with the school system.

For the record? It ain't politics if it's wrong by any other standard. I agree with Cartman, they should be treated like any other corrupt public employee. You mention backroom deals, but do you have evidence of those deal? If so, turn them over to the local media and watch me yell the same thing about them too!

supersquawker 2 years, 11 months ago

The only "lesson" that would be learned from NOT getting fired if you cheated is that "Hey it must be OK!!"

coachjohnson42 2 years, 11 months ago

Dr. Murfree said he is not going to throw those people under the bus. Well, if they get fired, they will certainly have tire tracks on their face.

LuLu 2 years, 11 months ago

What an ignorant statement, wowmcjam. There wasn't one racist word in Walt's post.

chinaberry25 2 years, 11 months ago

I had the privilege of working with a Downs Syndrome child last year who can read better than I do. And I score very high in reading where the average American reads on the 6th grade level. This is fact. My point is that if this special needs child reads that well, there is no reason a child who is normal cannot read well. One of the main reasons is poor teachers. Have poor teachers for several years and you will never catch them up. Now next we will go to math. At least half of the students in ninth grade cannot do fractions and a multiplication chart must be displayed in the classroom. Still counting on fingers or must use a calculator. These are the students who are coming into high school after being socially passed and expect the high school teacher to teach Algebra to them. There is a special place in heaven for good teachers.

chinaberry25 2 years, 11 months ago

bany_baby, I work with these kids everyday. Last week Character was the key word for the week or month. Speeches were given by minsters and we sit here and preach about something that few have any knowledge of. Glad your children are doing well, but more than 1/2 of the students in DCSS struggle every day. These are facts. If no one cares about cheating in the school system, then let's just disband public schools. If we are not willing to follow the rules, why have them? But all said and done, you are the only one here that who feels that way.

bany_baby 2 years, 11 months ago

@chinaberry25 you are right, I do seem to be the only one that wants a little mercy thrown their way. All I'm saying is sometimes people need a wake up call. I don't think the teachers are poor teachers or poor administrators for that matter, I just believe that some had gotten comfortable and lazy and yes, failed our students. But, I do believe in redemption. Who can say where the buck started. The students could have been passed along from one grade to the next lacking in the ability to be in that grade. I'm not making excuses for these people by no means. Cheating is wrong and should not go unpunished. In all fairness, parents should be aware if their child is struggling while working with them at night and reviewing their work each week when it is sent home. Maybe I'm a sap on this but I do believe some mercy should be thrown their way. We got teachers and what nots charged with DUI's who people want to be shown mercy, but teachers who made bad judgment for the sake of their jobs (still no excuse, I get it) to get fired just like that.

@Jack_Frost, I have no proof that phone calls were made and other back room deals to get this CRCT investigation going. I do believe that had it not been such a big hoopla surrounding the hiring of Dr. Murfree this would not have gone as far as it did. To think that cheating only took place in the DCSS and APS systems is absurd in my opinion.

Have a good day folks, God loves you!

waltspecht 2 years, 11 months ago

Womacjam I can't seem to reply to your comment, so I will make another. Commenting on Junebug's known behavior has nothing what so ever to do with his race. Last time I looked, Sally Whatley was Caucasion. My family fought against Hilter, what did yours do? Members fought on both sides of the Civil War, but there is no known history of slave ownership. So what are you addressing? The fact that at other times I have addressed a behavior that strikes a particular racial cord to you? Funny the comments I have made, and will make, address behaviors, not any specific group, or Ethnicity..

Sally 2 years, 11 months ago

It doesn't matter whether or not you think it is right to fire them or let them go....When something is clearly stated in the State Code of Ethics for Teachers and you violate them knowing what you were doing then you lose your job no matter what! I am a teacher myself and I think they should all be fired. Don't try to cover up your lack of teaching and possibly teaching skills by cheating for your students. What values in life are you teaching them by doing that?

bubbavet 2 years, 11 months ago

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM GETTING FIRED. ALBANY STATE HAS PLENTY OF DEGREE TEACHERS THAT'S WHERE MOST OF THEM CAME FROM. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

scientist 2 years, 11 months ago

scientist- I am a recently retired teacher. I taught for over 30 years. I do agree that cheating is not the answer to the problems that some of our students are having. I also know, that while teachers are being blamed for poor student performance, no one has looked at the role that parents play in the educational success of their children.

I know that teachers are blamed if they have a certain number of students failing. They are told that they can only fail a certain percentage, even if more are failing. They are reprimanded and jobs are threatened. Students are given so many opportunities to makeup work missed. Teachers stay after school to tutor, come before school to tutor, and even work on Saturdays. The system offers evening school, summer school, and used to offer night school. They can even make up work on the computer and get course credit.
I would love for someone to look at the pay scale and compare teacher salaries to those of other professions. If blame is to be attached, let it be equally distributed. parents, school board, state and local, and the children themselves need to be made responsible along with the teachers.

bubbavet 2 years, 11 months ago

LULU. YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER WHERE SHE CAME FROM. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT RACE WITH HER AND HER KIND. BLAME,BLAME, BLAME. NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING.SHE WILL NEVER CHANGE.

rorschach 2 years, 11 months ago

If teachers cheated on CRCT's and caused some children to pass who might have otherwise failed, it is serious business and the guilty parties should be punished. However I think that the punishment should fit the crime. I feel that firing teachers is a bit extreme in this case. Those teachers are highly qualified and have dedicated most of their lives to educating our children. Why not use levels of discipline like reprimands and probation instead of going straight for the jugular and firing them or forcing them to resign. for those of you who advocate firing the teachers; How would you feel if your child got kicked out of school for cheating on a test? That would be too extreme just as firing teachers would be in this case. I hope Dr. Murfree comes to his senses and realize that the DCSS will take a big step in the wrong direction if it were to lose that many qualified educators (and their smart children) all at once.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 11 months ago

bany_baby..... Really are you kin to #34 or just sadly misinformed or maybe you learned to read in DCSS? Please read the story once more, the “Fact” of reason for the DCSS being investigated is plainly stated. “Dougherty County had the state’s second-highest number of flagged schools with 14, more than half of the system’s 26 schools.” DCSS was the number 2 flagged school system. The fact that DCSS Board had standards so low that they choose #34 to lead the schools was not a factor. The sad fact is these same people you want to have pity on are the very ones who play a very large part in the shaping and molding of the child who do not get good guidance from home. So what life lesson are you wanting to promote….Cheat, work the system, blame someone else for your own bad decisions, or how about stand on your own two feet, work hard and understand if you break the law even the “State Code of Ethics for Teachers” there are consequences. How can you say “They are not turning out poorly educated children“ and then explain the good students are because of family support. With people like you willing to accept #34 as the “Most Qualified” and wanting to be sappy about people who have no respect for ethics how can we expect DCSS to turn out productive members of society. Poorly educated, poor family upbringing, no respect for ethics, will surely condemn most of these kids to a life of little or no success. Try not being such a sap and push over and stand up and demand better for your tax dollars from your School Board. Thanks for the laugh too “I work everyday and pay taxes just like any other citizen“. Really again check your facts there is a large number of the “Other citizens” not paying taxes and sadly DCSS is not providing the basics to help a lot of students become working taxpayers.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 11 months ago

To those who keep screaming “Race” you are just amazing to read. I mean really DCSS has predominately Black students, taught by predominately Black Teachers and lead by a predominately Black board. Why are you not speaking out and leading the way to improve the opportunities for our black children instead of condemning the whites that speak out about the poor Black Leadership. The "Race" card is no excuse for poor leadership but it is an excuse to blindly follow it.

Darn_Yankee 2 years, 11 months ago

The DCSS fiasco is a joke. #34 (i.e. Murfree) stated months back that there was a witch hunt going on in lieu of such cheating claims. Man, I bet he is kicking himself in the rear now as there is no telling how many administrators and teachers are under the microscope. The fact of the matter is that this is not only a problem with the DCSS but one that is in no doubt a statewide issue. Thanks to NCLB and AYP rules and regulations such cheating and tampering with tests are rampant throughout the state. Additionally, the DCSS is not the only joke of a school system and school board that is present in SW GA. Has anyone else been reading the news lately...Baker County Schools has been in the news for possible financial infractions, Mitchell County School District has been known to fudge scores on the GHSGT, the Pelham City School District is in the middle of a Federal lawsuit, and the list could go on and on here...Let's face it, public education in SW GA is in a mess and there seems to be no recipe for a cure. Voters should get out and elect school board members that will clean up their districts and make EDUCATION in those Districts a priority again rather than widespread politics and cronyism. The state of Georgia should also make the move to get out from NCLB and pursue actual learning rather than federally-mandated hogwash with dollars attached to it.

BeenThere 2 years, 11 months ago

Having retired from the school system and worked in teaching & administration, I'd like to be assured that only the "Cheaters" be punished, and not those who unknowingly got caught in the "fallout". Having worked with Sally, I can not believe that she knew this was going on. A finer person never existed.And yes, it is possible for someone not to know. I know she and others are going down as "ultimately responsible". The people who make the rules everyone has to adhere to-like "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" should take a bit of responsibility too. It is NOT possible to take some of these children up at that rate of speed. A whole lot JUST DON'T CARE.. have graded test where over half the questions they did not bother to put anything.. This is over 50%. And uncaring parents are responsible for an even bigger %.

Citizen_A 2 years, 11 months ago

The community needs to accept that there are problems in this school system. We need to come together as a community and figure this out. If I was on the school board I'd be very concerned. We might just might vote you guys out. Dr. Murfree and the school board should take this situation as an incintive to start making some changes. I know they have a lot of things on their plate, but that is what they signed up for. And we as parents need to be involved in our children's educations. If we put it all in their hands, and they fail, it's just as much our fault, too. We can't send them to school with the attitude that "it's their job". It's all of our jobs. We as parents need to support our teachers. We need to raise our children so that they can be taught. Teachers shouldn't have to spend more of their instruction time diciplining than teaching. Our public school is not a babysitting service! I am SO involved in my kid's education. I am there whenever their teachers need me. It's not as if my kids are perfect, but I accept my responsibility as a parent when my child does something, and if punishment is involved, so be it. When God gave us free agency, he didn't say that there weren't consequences involved. If the principals/teachers involved clearly made the decision to do this, then they clearly need to accept the punishment.

waltspecht 2 years, 11 months ago

Where and when I went to school, you would be kicked out for cheating. It wasn't an accepted standard to be allowed to get away with it. There were usually several others waiting in line for you to be removed so they could fill your seat. You were taught to subscribe to a rigid code of conduct. Violate it and you were gone. The same code that has tripped up so many in our Military Schools. Then there is the recent spat of cheating on the SAT's. Those involved criminal charges, as the CRCT cheating might also. No, they may have stolen from the children, but they also stole from the Taxpayer, both in pay and incentives. In otherwords, thrft of their paycheck, and any bonuses the Administrators received.

supersquawker 2 years, 11 months ago

I just watched the documentary film "Waiting for Superman" about the condition of public education in the USA. Everybody in Dougherty County should see it.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 11 months ago

Citizen_A .........Thank You!!!! Thank you!!!! ...... Wow you hit so many nails square on the head with your last statement….I hope everyone reading this story will be sure to read your post twice and listen with a open mind what you are saying….Albany needs more people like you speaking the truth. Thank you Aby

cesspool_city 2 years, 11 months ago

Dr. Whatley was a self serving bully that used thinly veiled threats to get what she wanted. Even her "motivation" speeches were threats. In her very first year scores mysteriously skyrocketed to Lee County levels. Don't think for a single second that she didn't know. Been There, I know for a FACT that if you have retired out of the system within the last three years the investigators have given you an interview and if you fed them a bunch of bull along the lines you stated here, you can expect another visit.

Albany_Native 2 years, 11 months ago

ONE TEST ON ONE DAY DOES NOT NECESSARILLY REFLECT WHAT GOES ON FOR THE REST OF THE 179 DAYS OF SCHOOL!! It is not teachers that have failed the students, it is the pressure put on them and the students by NCLB Act to meet unreasonable expectations.

supersquawker 2 years, 11 months ago

Fallout is what happens when an atomic bomb goes off and that's what it will take to get this whole thing back to moving forward in the right direction and making progress versus just getting by to get a check.

Jack_Frost 2 years, 11 months ago

bany_baby,

What does Joshua Murfree's hiring have to do with the CRCT cheating? Nothing. Not only that, but there is almost no way it can get hit in the fallout of this. NONE. It happened under Sally Whatley's watch, not his, so quit trying to make this into something it's not.

Teachers and administrators, who we trust to educate our children, cheated in an effort to either protect their jobs or to maneuver themselves into positions for pay raises. That is wrong on every level, and you're wanting these people kept on the job?

Honestly, that's just sad.

cthisr1 2 years, 11 months ago

This is not a case of "Race." This is a case of School board wanted the scores up. Dougherty County System School as a whole has been substandard for over 30 years. Do not get me wrong there are a "FEW" real teachers in the system. Let's not forget how many have been arrested in the last 10 years for crimes against the children they teach. Cheating when I attended school would get you expelled. Teachers that can not teach material, should not be teaching. The blame needs to be placed on voters as well. Voters of Dougherty County have voted in substandard uneducated board members to make decisions on the education of children. No wonder the jail is full and big business is leaving. Dougherty County built several pretty buildings, yet students have out of date books and not enough money in budget for students to bring home books. If the teachers are told to teach based on CRCT then the kids should have learned the material. If the kids did not learn it that is the teachers fault. You can not blame children for "Teachers" lack of education and ability to teach.

FailureISanoption 2 years, 11 months ago

The CRCT scandal is a bad enough, but in a system where the students are told that failure is not an option, where teachers are told not to fail students, where a student can fail classes all year long and then recover enough credits to pass their grade in the last two weeks of school, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Students throughout the district are being taught that they are ENTITLED to good grades, that they shouldn't be judged by their behavior, that only positive reinforcement and rewards should be used. Don't say this isn't going on, because it is. It's just being swept under the rug while everybody tries to pretend that all is well. I feel sorry for the students because the real world is going to be a rude awakening for them. Contrary to what some people believe, failure IS an option and the sooner students recognize that THEY are responsible for their success or failure, the better off they will be.

Oh_Brother 2 years, 11 months ago

STOP SITTING BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER SCREENS ACTING AS IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX THE WORLD!

BE QUIET AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

VOTE FOR NEW SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS, GET INVOLVED AND HUSH!!!!!!!!

DOUGHERTY AND LEE CO RESIDENTS MAKE ME SICK WITH YOUR COMPLAINING AND BASHING!

UGHHHHHHHHH.........SO NEGATIVE! AND THAT'S A SHAME WITH A CHURCH ON EVERY CORNER AND IN BETWEEN!

Citizen_A 2 years, 11 months ago

I didn't think I'd comment again on this subject, but I' like to ask Oh_Brother a couple questions....What do you do when the candidates you voted for do not get elected? There is nothing to do but let your opinion be heard in hopes that the ones who did get elected hear your concern. And then you pray that they listen. Being quiet gets you nowhere...if a wheel doesn't squeak it doesn't get fixed. If we sit back and say nothing, the "powers that be" will think we are content with the way things are. And unfortunately sometimes the complaints or squawks are ridiculous, but sometimes they are a very useful tool. My other question to you....What makes you think we aren't already doing something about it. I don't know about you, but I do intend to vote next month. And if my cadidates don't get elected...I will continue to voice my opinions when and where I can.

Oh_Brother 2 years, 11 months ago

@Citizen_A...the comment sections always get out of hand and gives off negative attention and energy. I believe it stomps growth and even discourages business owners from coming to Albany. One of the tools that business owners use when looking at if they want to invest in a city or plant a location is by reading the newspaper to see what's going on in the city and what the people in the community are thinking. Just by the reading of most of the comments ever placed on here no matter what the story is about, we seem like hick towns who are totally divided by race and no matter what you do you're going to be destroyed by ignorant comments.

All in all, ignorance floods the comments sections. It seems like it is a utopia to have sensable debates about various opinions. Everything gets personal and people are attacked. If we learn how to attack an action or behavior of individuals and stop making things so personal, then we can move forward. Right now, the negativity energy dampen these message boards.

justme 2 years, 11 months ago

Mrs Whatley, what about the lunch money? It's been years and no one has fessed up on who messed up the account.

supersquawker 2 years, 11 months ago

I've been eagerly anticipating the announcement of Doctor Murfree's achievement of Certification that was part and parcel and conditional upon his hiring. I must have missed it?!?! Could someone please enlighten me?? When did that happen??

Citizen_A 2 years, 11 months ago

@Oh_Brother....unfortunately ignorance is abundance these days. But hopefully common sense will prevail and those reading the comments can discern what are true and intelligent concerns. The fact of the matter is that the CRCT issue is up front and in the media. And people will always have their opinions or concerns about what is in the media. The condition of our public education system should be a top concern for the parents and our city. It directly relates many of our community's other issues. I wasn't bashing your comment or attacking anyone. I was letting you know that I did my voting, and will continue to do my voting. And when I deem it worthwile throw my opinion out there. Which if you went back up and read my last comment before yours... it said pretty much what you said. We need to get up off our butts, be involved with our childrens' educations, and raise respectful children who are teachable.

patman 2 years, 11 months ago

If the report does indeed show that a widespread culture of document alterations has occurred by teachers and/or administrators (which it apparently does), then this is a criminal act. As a fellow teacher, I can tell you that in each of these exams, we are all required to sign documentation affirming that we will follow testing protocols and procedures and safeguard the contents and integrity of the exam instruments. Obviously, this was not done. Professionals violated their code of ethics. If a physician or attorney violates the ethics of their profession, do we not expect sanctions to be taken against the perpetrators? Why is education any different? Perhaps if we hold (my fellow) educators accountable for their actions, and if parents continue to do their part by raising their children to follow laws and ethics, as well as expecting their children to keep their integrity intact, this can ultimately be a positive learning experience. There are consequences for our actions, regardless of our intents.

Lilly 2 years, 11 months ago

The cheating problem is very unfortunate; however, the really sad part of this is that cheating is only a symptom of our deteriorating society. I work for state government (not the school system either) and everyday I am disappointed in the degree of integrity that many people display. Unfortunately, the lack of integrity is seen in the employees as well as those we serve. Traits such as honesty, dependability, a good work ethic, compassion for others and other characteristics that we have held important are disappearing. It is more than a little scary. Just think, the issue here is cheating, but it is only one of many behaviors we consider unethical. People who behave unethically in one way also tend to live their lives this way regardless of the situation. It wouldn't hurt any of us to look at ourselves in the mirror and examine our own level of integrity.

washedupcoach 2 years, 11 months ago

As a former high school teacher, I remember JUST LAST YEAR signing forms that I swear to follow the rules for the state graduation and writing tests or face state charges. Is this not also true of CRCT proctors? Any cheater should lose his certificate, or be fired if he does not. The curiculum director should be aware of what goes on in the system. She was highly praised when "scores went up". Now that we know why, will something be done?