Mayoral candidates saddled with ethics violations

Ethics officials say neither Dorothy Hubbard nor John White have filed campaign disclosure reports for the Sept. 30 filing period while B.J. Fletcher has been fined for not filing a June report.

— Officials with the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission say that the candidates running to become Albany's mayor are in violation of state ethics rules governing campaign disclosures.

Holly LaBerge, executive director for the Georgia GTCFC, says that candidates B.J. Fletcher, Dorothy Hubbard and John White have violated state ethics laws regarding the filing of campaign paperwork and will likely be fined.

According to the GTCFC's website, the Fletcher campaign has been fined $125 for not filing its June 2011 campaign report on time. Fletcher does have a personal financial disclosure available online.

LaBerge said Monday that Hubbard's violation stems from not having a campaign disclosure report on file for the Sept. 30 filing deadline. Hubbard has filed a personal financial disclosure to the GTCFC before the deadline but it wasn't notarized or properly signed to make it "properly executable," as required by law.

White, on the other hand, has yet to file a PFD or a campaign contribution disclosure with the agency as required by law.

"We have a 2011 PFD for Dorothy Brown Hubbard but it’s not signed and notarized as required. We have contacted her and are waiting for her to mail us a properly executed PFD," LaBerge wrote to the Herald following a request under Georgia's Open Records laws for paperwork for the two candidates. "We do not have any CCDR’s or any PFD’s for John White. Both candidates are in violation of the law in that they haven’t filed the election year September 30th CCDR."

The fine for not filing is $125 for the first 30 days and goes up from there.

White already has $300 outstanding for reports not filed from as early as 2002.

Comments

Momof3 2 years, 6 months ago

Soooo they can't even file their reports (a not so hard task, use Outlook, that's what I do for reminders) on time, not one, not two, but all three of them but they all feel like they can " change" the City for the better.....

Sighhhhh

iko 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a racist story as to John White. He has been a fighter for the under-privileged forever. I support John Whjite and Roger Marietta.

lonmcneil 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm all for ethics, but perhaps the real problem is not the intent of the candidates to hide or mislead the source of their funding, but the ridiculous process and redundant, unending demands of a bloated governmental system that justifies it's relevance by the amount of paperwork and red tape it requires. It's a wonder anyone runs for office anymore. Maybe that's the plan of the bureaucrats; take elected officials out of the formula all together by generating a "lack of interest", making the process of running too much of a burden to deal with. They could then run it all and secure their own careers and those of their cronies. Perhaps we should run ethics checks on those in charge of the paperwork. My guess is we would find a lot more to be concerned about with those in government that never have to go before the people and ask for votes to keep their jobs, than we would in candidates.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Again, Iko, you are using someone else's forum name so quit. The real Iko would never say such a thing. Shame on you!!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Please can someone explain to me how reporting the FACTS about John White is Racists? I am confused because the report points all three have messed up it just points out that John the “Professional Politician” has sat on his ass and done nothing he was supposed to. I will say it does may one stop and wonder if they can’t do the basis how can they run a city government.

Whitedude 2 years, 6 months ago

If you are white and say anything about a black person you are a racist. Why can't people in Albany wake up and smell the flowers. This town won't get better until we give it an enema and flush out the crap.

chinaberry25 2 years, 6 months ago

And they want to be mayor of Albany? Dorothy Hubbard seems to be the lesser of the three. At least she made an effort. I do not live in Albany, so do not jump on me for I cannot vote for any. But this is a lot more serious than it looks. If you cannot take care of your personal business, then how do you expect to run a town the size of Albany?

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

Seems one canidate has owed money for fines since 2002.Is that responsible Citizenship? Should he even be allowed to run when in arrears? If thats his style, you don't need it in a Mayor.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 6 months ago

Who cares???? Non of these candidates can help this pitiful city. Companies are never coming back and start hiring here again, and crime will continue to rise. This place will be just as bad as Detroit very soon. Run while you can.....Yes, the sky is falling in Albany,GA.!!! RUN , RUN, RUN

Terihdfxr 2 years, 6 months ago

I want to know how BJ will create jobs ? Open another restraunt? Please discribe in detail what you are going to do not just say you will do it. This is for all of them. I dont trust Mr. White becouse he is a life long politican, dont trust any of them. As far as Mrs Hubbard what good has she ever done this city ?. Just a lot of smoke and empty promises if you ask me. What will you do for Crime, Police, Fire, Economic development, Unemployment, Schools, ect.. I want those answeres and in detail.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 6 months ago

All White has to do is call on all those people that he "knows" and they'll probably get the fines revoked. That man is a snake in the grass...

I'm still trying to decide between Mrs. Hubbard and BJ. Mrs. Hubbard did file, just didn't file correctly. BJ hasn't, so I'm giving Hubbard a bit of an edge. I still need more time to understand what each candidate is going to do about our problems. And here's a hint...throwing money at it doesn't help.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Terihdfxr - Go to BJ4Mayor.com and ask her personally how she plans on creating jobs for Albany. She will answer your question. Actually, I think all the candidates have websites so you can make contact with them and ask your question. Don't just get on here and ask your question take it to them. I bet you get an answer from them all.

T_Paine 2 years, 6 months ago

Of course this story is racist against John White. There's no reason to point out the fact that his failures to file go back to 2002 and that he has not turned in any documentation, legitimate or otherwise, for the month in question. How dare the Albany Herald bring up that this seasoned politician has yet to do what is required of him in order to qualify for the ballot, and that he is in violation of the law for his failings? A violation of the law which by no means makes him a criminal. Never mind that they also brought up the other candidates' issues and that they are in the process of resolving them, the real story is that this innocent man is being humiliated simply for being a black man.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

TP unlike the guy on Knight's TV Commercials. This is the right place to insert "LOL"….Thanks I have not laughed so hard in days.

supersquawker 2 years, 6 months ago

Jesus Christ done gone back to heaven yall and we gotta live with who all's left! I know who I think has more "skin in the game".

43cop 2 years, 6 months ago

All you have to do is check John White's record when this city sent him to Atlanta. So many of you can only scream "racist" when the person running for any office is "Of" color when that has absoloutely nothing to do with who is qualified and who is not. Enought of John White; at least look at the other two (2) candidates.

richie 2 years, 6 months ago

who the heck is the "real iko? Kaosinalbany - we know you are the weekly publisher - but who cares? I wish Marietta had run for Mayor - he gets it!

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope that TP's post was sarcastic, or we have far bigger problems than I thought.

Momof3 2 years, 6 months ago

@ KaosinAlbany, well I took your advice and e-mailed BJ and the other candidates...because honestly I really AM curious as to just HOW they are going to make businesses want to come and STAY in Albany. I mean true enough BJ has restaurants in Albany but lets be honest, hiring 20-50 workers won't do much for the ecomony... BUT I give her an A for at least trying. Anyway.. out of the three, BJ e-mailed me back with her cell number so I will be calling her tonight... so we'll see I guess....

justme 2 years, 6 months ago

With no major highway into Albany one cannot expect big business to come here. Albany is a small venue and everyone is fighting over nickles and dimes. There are no major players in the elected offical race, including the incumbents. The elected leadership of albany has failed for years and the townsfolk are begging for a new restaurant.

What do the above remarks tell you or make you think of?

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Momof3 - I'm glad you took my advice. BJ will talk to you.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 6 months ago

No matter who gets elected...this city will continue to fall due to a lack of jobs, high crime, and poor leadership. The skiy is falling...I'm warning you!!!