Hubbard picks up key endorsements

Albany Mayor Willie Adams explains to reporters why he feels former commissioner Dorothy Hubbard would be the best fit for Albany as its next mayor Wednesday. Hubbard also picked up the endorsement of former commissioner Morris Gurr.

— Mayoral Candidate Dorothy Hubbard picked up two key endorsements Wednesday, including that of current Albany Mayor Willie Adams.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Adams said that Hubbard was the one person in the race he believed was knowledgeable enough about municipal government to keep the city moving in a positive direction.

"She's a consensus builder who has the personality and character to work with any group or person in the community," Adams said. "And, during her time on the commission, she's proven that on various issues...we're making positive traction in this community and I believe she can grow and build on that."

Hubbard is running against local business owner B.J. Fletcher and former state representative John White for the seat that Adams will be vacating later this year when his term expires.

Reader poll

How much weight do you give endorsements?

• A lot. Whoever backs a candidate says a lot 0%
  • Not a lot, I'd rather focus on the issues 33%
  • Very little 0%
  • Not at all, endorsements are overrated 67%

6 total votes.

Joining Adams Wednesday in backing Hubbard was former Ward III Commissioner Morris Gurr.

Gurr said that as a commissioner, he's witnessed first hand what he said was Hubbard's thoroughness and attention to detail as a public servant and said that, as a candidate, Hubbard brings with her accountability and the knowledge gained at the commission table to the mayor's office.

"I'm here to say that Albany needs to wake up!" Gurr said. "Dorothy Hubbard is the only truly qualified candidate to be mayor...I want a person to be the mayor for the city of Albany who will represent all of the people of Albany and for me that is Dorothy Hubbard."

A gracious Hubbard thanked both Gurr and Adams for their comments and support, and pledged to work to improve what each had started.

"I appreciate all they have done for the city and I appreciate their kind words. I promise each of you that I will do my very best to work with all the people of Albany to move the community forward and to work with the team that we have on the commission so that Albany will become a championship team," Hubbard said.

Also speaking Wednesday was Rev. Orson Burton Jr. -- a person Hubbard called her "adopted grandchild," because he spent so much time at her home while he was growing up.

"I believe that the 'back to the basics' platform that candidate Dorothy Hubbard is proposing is quintessential to the needs of the city today," Burton said. "By focusing on youth programs and cutting crime, you'll create an environment that is conducive to middle and long-term jobs and will contribute to economic development...I think its time Albany got back to the basics."

Now that the early voting period has started and with election day less than three weeks away, Fletcher, Hubbard and White are feverishly campaigning in hopes of swaying undecided voters.

Earlier this week, the candidates participated in a forum sponsored by Emerge Albany and the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce. Last week, the three presented their platforms at a forum held at Albany State University.

Comments

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 5 months ago

I knew Slick Willie would endorse her. Cronies only back cronies. I have heard her platform many times and it is very weak and nothing will change under her watch. Vote BJ for Mayor!!!!

supersquawker 2 years, 5 months ago

Did you notice the humongous Dorothy Hubbard political billboard on the property of the Monumental Faith Church out on Gillionville Road? Another key endorsement no less. NEVER MIND THAT IT IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL TAX LAW AND THE NON-PROFIT STATUS OF THE CHURCH COULD BE REVOKED!! Too bad we can't record all the sermons of all the city's churches in the coming months to identify all the other violations.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

((((Why does Reply no longer work?))))

@ supersquawker -- e-mail the Secretary of State's office about that! I did it last year when 2nd Mt. Zion had about 20 signs on their property. Someone called me within 15 minutes to get more information.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 5 months ago

Marietta has a sign at Darton College and it is also in violation of the State Ethics. Also his billboard looking sign is a city sign violation and was ordered to remove it by the city a few weeks ago and I still see it's still standing.

Jack_Frost 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh wow. Look. Willie Adams endorsed Hubbard. That's all I need to know to vote for someone else. Thanks Willie!

MRKIA 2 years, 5 months ago

OLD MOTHER HUBBARD IS A REMINDER OF WHO NOT TO VOTE FOR. SHE DID NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL AS A COMMISSIONER AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO NOTHING AS MAYOR. SHE'S RUNNING FOR THE RECOGNITION AND THE TITLE AS WELL AS THE T.V. FACE TIME. SHE HAS NOTHING NEW TO OFFER AND CONTINUES TO REGURGITATE THE SAME OLD DEAD END IDEAS. IF SHE IS THE BEST ALBANY HAS TO OFFER THEN ALBANY WILL REMAIN LEADERLESS.

supersquawker 2 years, 5 months ago

"Leaderless" including that look in the photo from yesterday, looking down her nose at the citizenry who have the audacity to ask her a question or challenge some decision or initiative that she put out there! "NO COMMENT" is the next thing out of her mouth most likely.

chinaberry25 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, who is there to vote for? The other two, I would just stay home. NO filed disclosures if enough for me to not vote for you. As far as changes go, do not expect any changes regardless of who gets elected.

ABY1 2 years, 5 months ago

Tell me you didn't see this one coming... Adams has been openly endorsing her at Commission meetings for the past year.

ABY1 2 years, 5 months ago

John White is the only candidate that still has not filed any disclosures. Hubbard and Fletcher filed late and were each fined $125 for the violation.

Justice4Moma 2 years, 5 months ago

Willie comes out only when his driver is not busy.And you should have known he would endorse her.ITS THE GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM WAY! BJ,show em how to handle jobs,show em how to be honest.Pleaseeeeeeee.