Squawk of the day - Oct. 26, 2011

"Keeping a 'historically black college' title is no more relevant today than keeping signs at water fountains and restrooms that say 'for whites only.' "

Comments

supersquawker 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes but you can be the HBC National Champion even though you lost the game.

tbmuch 2 years, 5 months ago

I must disagree with the Squawk of the day on 10/26/2011 that a black college/university remaining "black" is irrelevant. There are some things that should remain to a people that a place such as a college/university illuminates. The mistake we often make in this society is, that we all can or should merge into oneness in every aspect of our existence.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll bet that if there were a HWC, heads would roll. It's okay for them to use exclusive titles, but if others do it, it's racial.

truthsayer 2 years, 5 months ago

Ya'll have to remember we are in ''EBONY'' GA.

Ms_Rational 2 years, 5 months ago

The Albany Herald is such a racist media outlet. Why is this the squawk of the day? Yes, ASU is a HBCU. Would some of you prefer the term "University Created due to Racist US Laws". ASU is open to anyone who wants to attend.

Plus, since white privilege has been the law of the land since Christopher Columbus "found" (wink-wink) America, there is no need to term anything 'white'.

Lastly, I am sorry that so many whites cannot face and own ALL of their history; not just the parts that make them feel good. It's because of white racism, that there are HBCU's. You ought to be happy that in the face of hatred and bigotry, Blacks created their own schools to improve themselves.

HBCU's should have been embraced and supported financially; instead, some of the very people who complain that Blacks need to go to school and get a job, offer no support to a community that have endured one of the harshest past. HBCU's ought to be applauded. But nooooo....in Albany racism never dies, it just appears with a new face.

Somebody 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree that racism in Albany never dies, but that is true on both sides of the fence. I do agree with you that if the whites had not been prejudiced and did not bar blacks from schools. There would not have been a need for a HBCU. Funny that people today will complain about black people not wanting to work and drawing welfare, when it was the whites that blocked blacks from getting jobs for those that did want to work. Damn if you do and damn if you don't. You can't have it both ways.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't have a problem with any of MY history, but I get sick of being hounded to "pay" for inequalities that I had nothing personally to do with. When I say MY history, I mean things that I have done in my lifetime. I don't have the same mindset as my ancestors, so therefore I shouldn't have to treat anyone differently or submit to the endless requirements that others put out there to provide "equality". Everyone has the same opportunities in this world; if you work hard, you can achieve. Notice I didn't say "will", I said "can". HCBU's can contribute to that, it's true. But why fight so hard for integration in society when all you want to do is segregate yourselves? Just wondering.

twocentsworth 2 years, 5 months ago

Noone is asking anyone to merge into oneness....but the fact is there is definitely a double standard that continues. And that double standard is what keeps the our community divided. When people stop thinking there is a "white" or "black" way to act or think, and start thinking what is the "moral" way to act or think, and start thinking of others besides themselves, our community might actually make some progress.

tbmuch 2 years, 5 months ago

Keep dreaming, most of the racism that exist is so subtle, most will not recognize it, I have been there, seen it, been the object of it.

Citizen_A 2 years, 5 months ago

Just hoping that if what I said is actually heard, it might change someone or at least make them think on it. Looks like it made you think on it some. I hope that your having "been there, seen it, been the object of it" doesn't make you (for the the lack of a better term) bitter. Because that frame of mind, in our community, is exactly what is feeding the racial problems and keeping our community divided. I'm sure MLK was told many times to just keeping dreaming. Dreams are sometimes where solutions are found.

Patrick2K 2 years, 5 months ago

I am white, and I am so sick of this conversation. HBCUs do not bother me anymore than gays getting married. Live and let live!

Oh_Brother 2 years, 5 months ago

You all are doing just what the Albany Herald intended with your comments. Their purpose of posting this squawk as the "Squawk of the Day" is being fulfilled.

Somebody 2 years, 5 months ago

I just want to live my life and when I die, I die. I'm not gonna be bothered if a school is historically black, white or crystal clear. Too many people complain about the same old things. The school is there for anybody to attend. If you want to attend, fine, if not, then don't attend. Plain & simple!