ASU: 'All for One and One for All'

Spectators cheer on performances during ASU’s homecoming parade Saturday on Pine Avenue in downtown Albany.

ALBANY -- All of Albany seemed to unite as a family for the Albany State University Homecoming Parade Saturday morning along Pine Avenue.

Thousands of people lined the streets to watch the floats, the dancing clubs and listen to the marching band music despite the chilly weather.

Walter Lewis comes from Columbus every year to see his family and watch the parade. He sat with his mother Dennie Cross and several nieces and nephews just west of Jefferson Street on the parade route.

photo

A young Uptown Dance performer shakes pompoms during her routine in the ASU Homecoming Parade Saturday on Pine Avenue.

"It is a tradition in our family to come to this parade. My mother used to bring me when I was a kid -- longer than 20 years we been coming to the parade," Lewis said. "We see the parade and get together over the weekend as a family and I see old friends, too."

Parading down Pine Avenue, the crowd saw a host of marching bands starting with the Marine Corps band from the Marine Corps Logistic Base-Albany.

"We decided to do some New Orleans Dixieland songs this year," said Marine Staff Sgt. Terri Kopetzki, the band leader. "We wanted to liven things up. We like to come out to support community activities. The Marine base and the city support each other."

One retired Marine, Jeffrey Wilson, fell in behind the Marine band with Pack 8 Cub Scouts from Institutional First Baptist Church.

Somehow Wilson didn't sound like a drill sergeant as he told his young charges to stand shoulder to shoulder. He got the job done with a kind, cajoling voice.

"OK everybody let's go," Wilson said, "shoulder to shoulder ... march."

photo

Homecoming Queen Neshazda Brown waves to the crowd from her float during Albany State University's homecoming parade on Pine Avenue Saturday morning.

Supporting their relatives and other people in the parade brought many people out to line the street. Rose Hall, a third-grade teacher at Jackson Heights Elementary came out to support her school's pep squad and the Boys to Men group as they marched.

"I'm also an ASU graduate. I'm getting my masters at ASU so I'm here for ASU too," Hall said. "I really love these parades. They are something positive in our community."

It seemed that no matter whom one talked to they had a family member in the parade. Jayvin Range all of 1 year old, came out with his father Corey and cousin Cardriana Dawson to applaud his sister, 5-year-old Harmonie Range, as she paraded with her classmates from Alice Coachman Elementary School.

photo

A young spectator keeps warm as he watches ASU's homecoming parade along Pine Avenue on a chilly Saturday morning.

Schooled in parade duty from the Albany Christmas Parade, Yvette Miller, a new member of the Albany State University Police Department was at her first ASU Homecoming Parade.

"I love working at the Christmas Parade," Miller said before the start of Homecoming festivities. "I'm excited and honored to work the ASU parade. It's looking good."

Comments

rock 2 years, 5 months ago

I was down town 30 minutes after the parade ended. The area was trashed, garbage everywhere on the street, coffee cups thrown about and the streets littered. Congratulations ASU students and Alumi for trashing the town. Makes me really want to support ASU.

SayWhaaat 2 years, 5 months ago

Really? Wait until the Christmas parade, then make your comments.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

@Rock; Anytime you have that many people for a parade or anything like that, there will be trash. Just like when Mardi-Gras is here, there is trash. But since it was ASU, you had to complain.You sound like a TEA-PARTY whiner...... Just be quiet....

Sixty 2 years, 5 months ago

@ coachjohnson - I bet you are one that feels the tea party are a bunch of racist people. What is a TEA-Party whiner? I do agree that when you have a lot of people in one place, there will be a mess to clean up (although I do not understand what is so hard about throwing something away). Your comment about the tea party is not called for. I would bet you would agree with just about everything they stand for. The last poll I saw showed that the majority of the tea party currently supports Cain for president. Please quit letting the media tell you what to think. Think for yourself.

bdwsamp 2 years, 5 months ago

rock, Since it was ASU you had to put us down. Get a life.....THERE WILL BE MORE TRASH AND I BET IT'S NOT ALL FROM ASU. With comments like that who wants your support...

rock 2 years, 5 months ago

COACH???? in all actuallity I am a hugh supporter of the SIAC. Just nasty people like you I do not like. So Where do you coach at or are you a WANNABE?

Cartman 2 years, 5 months ago

Didn't take long for this thread to derail.

Darn_Yankee 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, in hindsight of the ASU Homecoming Weekend, what kind of message was ASU trying to send by having "Young Jeezy" as the highlight of their homecoming affairs. What a joke. What kind of education is being taught there anyways? The nerve to bring a rapper who has a track titled "Sex, Drugs, Money, and Murder" to the homecoming festivities. Not to mention he has been jailed for carrying concealed weapons before. And let us not forget that he satirized the brutal murder of Yale grad-student Annie Le and compared her corpse to drug money. Albany Georgia: What a "Good Life City".

Momof3 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess it would be a waste of energy to talk about how much MONEY ASU's Homecoming brought into Albany. And not just for ASU but for all the businesses here as well....but who wants to talk about the positive right?!?!?!

sigh......

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

I am a supporter of ASU also. I love the Rams!! But I get tired of people getting on here complaining/whining about any little thing they can find about ASU. Can you believe this cat "ROCK" complained about the trash on the street after a parade? C'mon man...Stop being so nit-picky. UGA fans leave trash in the streets of Athens all the time. Nobody is whining about them. The Mardi in Albany is just as bad. Next a "Yankee" whining about a rapper who came to Albany. ASU did not bring him to Albany, a local buisness man did. Even if ASU did bring him, So WHAT??? If you dont like his music, dont come!!! Plus, I dont think Hank Williams Jr.was available this weekend.......hahahaha