Board of Elections to put Sunday sales on ballot

ALBANY, Ga. — The Dougherty County Board of Elections unanimously voted Wednesday to put Sunday alcohol sales and a vacant city commission seat up to the voters for consideration.

Wednesday’s action means that voters who live within the corporate city limits will be allowed to vote on whether businesses within the city can sell packaged alcohol on Sunday.

The vote has no impact on voters or businesses in unincorporated Dougherty County.

Earlier this year, the Georgia General Assembly passed the Sunday Sales law which gives city and county governments the opportunity to call for referendums on the sale of alcohol on Sunday.

The other item on the agenda stems from Ward II Commissioner Dorothy Hubbard’s decision to run for mayor.

By qualifying for mayor, City Attorney Nathan Davis told the board that the state constitution requires her to vacate her commission seat.

The board’s vote Wednesday officially sets a special election to fill the seat, although the election day will be on the same date as the other municipal elections.

At this point, no one has publicly announced any intentions to seek the office, although qualifying won’t begin until Sept. 14.

Comments

Somebody 3 years ago

I will be voting no! Too much drinking going on as it is. If you want to drink on Sunday, buy extra on Saturday, it is going to taste and cost the same and stores would still get the same amount of revenue.

Engineer 3 years ago

You do realize that people can already buy all the alcohol you want on Sunday, you just have to drive and drink it at the restaurant serving it (it is legal to do so over in Lee County). Personally, I'd rather the people get their alcohol and take it home to consume in private, rather than potentially driving home drunk or intoxicated.

Mr_Heatmiser 3 years ago

Some of us who do our grocery shopping for the week on Sunday afternoons would just like to be able to pick up a bottle of wine or a 6-pack of beer while we're at the store. What's so wrong with that?

It's a silly, archaic law that makes us look like a bunch of backwoods hicks.

justme 3 years ago

A voters approval is as much needed as the TAXES the approval will generate.

TrixibelleBento 3 years ago

This is about FREEDOM rather than drinking. If I want to drink on Sunday, then I will drink on Sunday. I could buy enough on Saturday night to last me through Sunday, but why should I have to? Why is it legal on Saturday night but not on Sunday? Live and let live!

Engineer 3 years ago

Exactly! I personally don't care for drinking alcohol, but I believe it should be the person's choice to drink a substance that is not illegal to have or consume (assuming you are of legal age of course).