Deerfield has little trouble in 27-6 win against Bulloch

Quentin Heard had 180 yards on 12 carries.

Quentin Heard had 180 yards on 12 carries.

ALBANY -- Down by 13 points halfway through the third quarter and finding it increasingly difficult to breach Deerfield-Windsor's line of defense, Bulloch Academy lined up for a 39-yard field goal.

The result? A line-drive kick that missed wide right.

As if they had taken exception to the Eagles' attempt to score, the Knights responded the next play with a touchdown courtesy of Quentin Heard, who dashed 80 yards up the sidelines.

Aside from a late score in the closing minutes, things did not pick up for the Eagles (3-1) who saw their three-game win streak snapped Friday night at the hands of Deerfield-Windsor, 27-6.

"I could not have done it without my line," said Heard, who finished with 180 yards on 12 carries. "The line was on fire (Friday) night and our team just rallied behind them. We executed and were on point with everything."

The win gave the Knights two straight GISA I-AAA victories.

Although the Knights (3-1, 3-0) gradually got the better of Bulloch Academy thanks to an efficient rushing attack, both teams showed up on defense in the first half. At halftime only one touchdown had been scored.

"I thought we battled to the end," Bulloch Academy coach Ronnie Hodges said. "We have been hurt since camp and have a lot of injuries, but we are still a decent football team."

Admittedly weak in the passing game, the Eagles relied on their committee of running backs, led by Harrison Averitt, to bear the load of scoring points. Despite multiple first downs, Bulloch Academy was denied quality scoring opportunities.

"I thought defensively we played real well," Deerfield-Windsor coach Allen Lowe said. "We did a good job of keeping them out the red zone for most of the night, and we needed to because they had some guys who could really pound it at you and do some good things."

Already up by three, the Knights made their first trip to the end zone on a five-yard run up the middle from Gaughf Ivey. The seven-play drive featured just one pass for 12 yards to Ke'Marvin Pitts.

After turning the ball over on downs, the Knights took over on their nine-yard line. Heard moved Deerfield-Windsor into comfortable territory with a 30-yard run. But the drive came to naught when Deerfield quarterback Dallas Margeson lost a fumble after being sacked.

Unable to take advantage, the Eagles gave the ball right back to the Knights by turning the ball over on downs for the second time. Deerfield's Trey Puckett increased the Knights' lead to 13 with a 23-yard field goal.

Heard's big 80-yard touchdown succeeded a missed field goal by the Eagles.

"I literally just followed behind my blockers," Heard said. "It was a big momentum shift because we were trying to stop them from scoring at all cost. So to capitalize on their missed field goal was big."

Hoping to catch the defense napping, Bulloch's Loy Waters rolled out right on a bootleg and sailed the ball in the air only to see it land in the hands of Deerfield's Kh'ron McClain.

"This whole week Coach (Craig) Rhodes was teaching us that they were going to do that (play) so we kept studying and studying it," said McClain, who added 32 yards on the ground.

McClain rewarded himself by finding the end zone from two yards out.

"It was big," he said. "I am glad I had my fullback in front of me and I trusted him to lead the way."

The Knights go on the road next week to face Brentwood School.


footballwatcher 3 years, 5 months ago

The opposing team was the gators not the eagles! Know your football or quit reporting!


Sign in to comment