Darton plans club for students choosing alternative lifestyles

Ashley Miller, a Darton College student, says she hopes the school’s newly-formed lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered club, called S.A.F.E. (sexual acceptance for everyone), will have a positive impact on as many people’s lives as possible.

ALBANY — A lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgendered club at Darton College took its first steps forward last week when students and a faculty adviser announced the formation of S.A.F.E. (Sexual Acceptance For Everyone) on campus.

“We’re doing this because it is important to have a safe support group for people, especially younger people, who happen to have an alternative sexuality,” student Ashley Miller, 20, of Worth County said. “We want a club where people have something in common so they will not feel isolated, but rather accepted and be free of pressure and bullying.”

Miller said she hopes the new club will have an impact on the 5,000-plus student campus.

“We’d like for the club to have a positive impact on as many people’s lives as possible,” she said. “No matter what shape it (the club) will take, it’s got to be a good thing.”

S.A.F.E.’s faculty adviser is Amaris Hayden, an English instructor at the college.

“I’m here because I heard there was a need,” Hayden said. “I came to the meeting today to see what they (the students) wanted out of (the club). I see a lot of potential here, and we need to build on that.”

Hayden said she thinks the mere existence of an LGBT club on campus will benefit the entire college.

“Even to just have an on-campus presence will help validate a lot of these kids,” Hayden said. “Now people will know we are here, and I think that’s important.”

Comments

Puzzled 2 years, 7 months ago

"choosing" - such a very poor use of wording. People do not chose their sexual orientation! Did I chose to be a heterosexual? I don't think so. So very not socially correct - shame on you.

ganewsie 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Puzzled! I'm very disappointed that the Herald let that word choice slip by.

daisymae 2 years, 7 months ago

Puzzled wants to give the herald a fit for poor choice of wording then you need to use proper english. Shame on you.

ugadawg 2 years, 7 months ago

It's sad how much narrow-mindedness still rules in Albany. Science has proven that homosexuality is not a simple choice. On top of that, why would anyone want to live a life full of constant harassment? I'm glad Darton is taking such a bold initiative, and I hope the club receives tons of support from the community, the faculty, and the student body.

tommybeall 2 years, 7 months ago

embarassing choice of words.. this headline makes the Herald look ignorant..

Iamnotpc 2 years, 7 months ago

Lifestyle is a choice. One chooses his/her friends, neighborhood, school, etc. If you think you are homosexual and you choose to act on it, then it is a choice. It is the same for heterosexual people who choose to have sex outside of marriage. You could choose not to live that lifestyle.

tommybeall 2 years, 7 months ago

quantravios.. (not even sure that's spelled right): ignorance is a choice... and you set a fine example..

firefly 2 years, 7 months ago

Seriously, political correctness is one of the main reasons we are going down the tubes. Because we all sit back afraid to offend anyone we are allowing our good morals to be taken advantage of!! I DO think you choose that lifestyle, our choices come from a mixture of how we are raised and what we decide to surround ourselves with.

ganewsie 2 years, 7 months ago

Good thing you weren't born gay, then.

Darn_Yankee 2 years, 7 months ago

I will have to take the line with Quantraveious on this one and by the way, there is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever that states that people are born gay, lesbian, etc. Take this example to see whether it be right or wrong from a moral standpoint: if today, everyone in the world chose to be gay or lesbian and all stopped being heterosexual altogether, where would the human race be in one hundred years? I have the answer: obsolete. Darton, in my opinion, is buying into the political correctness as a result of all the pressures of the issue in today's world. Yet, I must remember the story of Sodom and Gomorrah when God sent fire and brimstone and burned up the people due to their immoral acts and lifestyles. Last time I checked, God is still God and judgment is still in His discretion. He loves the sinners but He hates their sin (See Genesis Chapter 19; more importantly see John 3:16).

tripperdiv 2 years, 7 months ago

Someone please tell me how you can be born gay. I have yet to meet a gay infant. Being homosexual is a choice. You have feelings that may not be what is deemed appropriate by some and you choose to act on those feelings. That makes it a choice. If Darton chooses to establish a club/group for these students that provides support and encouragement then more power to them. I just hope that they will also start a club/group for the Christian students who also need support and encouragement. You can not tell me that Christiananity offends more people than homosexualality does.