Saggy pants ordinance brings cash to Albany

ALBANY, Ga. — The first saggy-pants ordinance violator less than nine months ago started a cash flow to the city.

City Attorney Nathan Davis stated, “The Municipal Court advises that 187 citations have been issued and fines collected of $3,916.49,” since the ordinance went into effect Nov. 23.

The ordinance bans anyone from wearing pants or skirts more than three inches below the top of the hips, exposing the skin or undergarments.

First-time offenders pay a $25 fine. On subsequent offenses, the fine can go up to $200.

Considering that the Albany Police Department is averaging more than 20 citations a month for the indecent exposure saggy pants ordinance, it is possible the rest of the year could add another $1,500 to the city’s general fund pot.

The ordinance prohibits arrest or imprisonment for violations. However it also allows 40 hours of community service to be completed in lieu of fines.

Under the ordinance “the municipal court shall have the same authority as the superior court to enforce obedience to its orders, judgments and sentences.”

Albany is far from alone in its desire to ban the pants to the ground style. It has been reported that Dublin, Hawkinsville, Plains, Rome and other Georgia cities have ordinances or are considering them.

The Chicago Tribune reported that in 2008 its suburb of Lynwood was the first in its area to enact a ban on low-hanging pants.

Other states such as Florida, Virginia and Louisiana also have cities with the ban or are considering a ban, according to the website USATODAY.com.

Comments

Jack_Frost 2 years, 6 months ago

So...I guess the cash flow makes up for the fact that it's an idiotic law? good to know.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack why do you call it an idiotic law? Apparently you are either saggy pants wearer or you have no concept of how such low life appearing people affect the business world of Albany. The very people we are trying to get to bring their business dollars to Albany are the ones that see Albany in a bad light because of the lack of public decency. Personally I would prefer they were sentenced to community service picking up trash, and then we get Albany’s trash and trashy people cleaned up at the same time. BTW I think it is hilarious every time I see a tuff guy wearing saggy pants because it is really an advertisement that in jail his rear end is available for use by others, I am not judging but if that is the kind of men they are.

billybob 2 years, 6 months ago

If you're not judging, then what are you doing? I would submit that the "business world" of Albany has been negatively impacted at least as much by people in proper business attire. By the way, most decent people don't find humor in prison rape. Oh, and I am judging. You have been judged by me to be a hypocrite by your taking offense at baggy pants but finding hilarity at potential prison rape. Misplace your outrage much?

Wendylady3 2 years, 6 months ago

The men showing their back sides in prison are looking for someone to take them up on their offer of being available. It is not a "prison Rape" thing. It is a "Hey, I'm available" thing......get it right! I personally don't think bagging your pants a bit is all that bad. However when you have your pants down to where the crack of you butt shows or your butt come above the "waist" line. They are too low! that goes for boy, girls, men & women. I don't care to see it from anyone!!!

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, but what does wearing baggy pants outside of prison have to do with "Hey, I'm available"? And why so embarrassed? It's just the human body... Do you not have a butt crack of your own? Why does the individual change the supreme naturalness of the human form? Just some questions to ask yourself. Simply food for thought

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Billy please stick to your humor about women cause you make it clear you can't read and have no concept of what I was talking about. I was saying how the “Appearance” of the saggy pants crowd affects people considering bringing business to Albany. I find NO humor in prison rape! Saggy pants in jail are an advertisement for consensual sex NOT rape. My humor was if you will read again was that on the outside saggy pants are worn by guys trying to be cool and thumb their nose at society but on the inside they would not be caught with their pants down….So I guess you missed your chance to make me a hypocrite. Next time before you try judging anyone again at least have some knowledge of what you are talking about. Since you seem to be a saggy fan enjoy!!!

billybob 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh, okay. So you weren't mocking people for prison rape, you were mocking them for being homosexuals. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I guess mocking homosexuals is completely acceptable. Cleary, you are an enlightened citizen. Of course, I may be wrong as I can not read. And maybe I missed it, but where is this city where all these businesses are opening where no one wears saggy pants. They better enjoy it while they can because as we all know, Albany is a leader in all fashion trends -- not a follower! It would be long until our vulgar yet forward-thinking fashion sense spreads to Altanta and New York. Why before you know it, you'll see people on television, athletes and musicians wearing saggy pants. Or maybe some people wear baggy pants everywhere you go and businesses open in these places any way. Maybe factors like the education system, infrastructure, local governing bodies and proximity to transportation are more important than pants. Then again, who am I to ponder such things? Hell, I can't even read!

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

Strange... Had I been asked earlier in life I would have said that Puritans are a small demographic, but they seem to be behind a lot of laws and ordinances. When did attire become an acceptable thing to fine? I guess just recently. Idiotic law? You bet! Personally I can't decide whether or not this is racism or classism. I also like how you at least had the decency to call saggy pants wearers low life "appearing". Since when did appearances make a man? Who knows Aby; maybe if you broadened your mind a little your future best friend could be a saggy pants wearer. Just saying... And maybe do a little research before saying something as idiotic as saggy pants = open to rape... That's one of the weirdest ideas I've ever heard... All in all, it simply makes me sad to see that a human being can think the way you do. It's slightly depressing really. In the end, I whole heartedly think that we humans should all be full of love and tolerance. Two things very hard to come by these days...

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

I am sorry you find me slightly depressing!!!!! ……I find it Hugely Depressing that both TheReal and BillyB misread my comments and try to make it sound like something I did not say. First this is not a law about attire it is about “Public Decency” it was named “Saggy Pants Ordinance” because saggy pants are currently the largest offender of public decency. If you and Billy would bother to read the ordinance you would see the facts. But it is easier for you two to sit back and throw stones at people that are trying to move Albany forward. Neither of you will MAN UP and stand in Commissioner Postell’s face and tell him it is a “Idiot Law” or it is about class or race, but you both are welcome to print your twisted views here. Second I have two young men working for me that were saggy pants wearers before coming to work for me. I explained how appearances make a man and demonstrates the personal pride they should have in themselves and they both accepted the jobs and are proud to look respectful of themselves and to the public. So I already have saggy pants friends…so there again you know nothing of which you speak. BTW for your info I never said they could not dress the way they wanted away from work, but they both have improved their self-respect and feel the saggy image was a bad life choice for improving themselves.

Somebody 2 years, 6 months ago

Well at least the babby pants are good for something.

Local 2 years, 6 months ago

APD please go to the mall and issue citations. They could write 20 each week!

sowegasue 2 years, 6 months ago

40 hours community service would help Dougherty County clean up in every sense of the word. Holding those pants up while reaching down to pick up trash might not be as important afterwards.

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

I really hope that they focus on women that are showing too much skin as apposed to only men with baggy pants! In my opinion, the woman with too tight and too short shorts and skirts are more inappropriate than a man showing boxers!!

billybob 2 years, 6 months ago

Well that really depends on whether or not the woman is attractive. We should not be discouraging attractive women from showing a little skin.

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

Billybob, you made me laugh! In all seriousness, we should make the women cover up too! It's only fair. If you want an eye-full, all you have to do is go online.

firefly 2 years, 6 months ago

Or pay for it! I hear you can get some bargains down on S. Slappey! lol.

WJReady 2 years, 6 months ago

All I can say is everytime I visit Albany I AM NOT IMPRESSED by the attire alot of people are wearing. As far as loose falling to your knees pants, in the hood, knuckleheads they do deserve a fine and huge amounts of community service. Personally I like the law.

Wendylady3 2 years, 6 months ago

I wish they would adopt that ordinance in Colorado & Wyoming. Hell I wish they would adopt it for the whole United States. I also think it should be for both men & women. Get this country back to looking good!!! Go to the mall & just sit & watch the people.....we look like Crap! Now look at other countries... We should take more pride in ourselves, our town, our state & our country! It all starts with us at home.

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

Other countries? Have you been to other countries? Or did you only mean the "nice" parts of Europe? And beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. So to say we look like crap sounds more like you're the one not taking pride in ourselves. Why not simply be proud and always defend what we as Americans are at this very moment? And objectively speaking, what does appearance truly mean about anything? I know its cliche, but the saying goes "it's what's on the inside that counts". Also, consider traveling "this country" of ours. Albany is not a physical manifestation of the whole. There are many places that you would most likely consider the epitome of your standards. Much of the USA does in fact still "look good". And sure, things do start at home, but do you truly want this whole country to be homogenous? Is variety not indeed the spice of life? Just some food for thought.

Moe 2 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone asked what it costs to enforce this nonsense? the man-hours spent writing tickets for this nonsense would be much better spent having cops on the beat watching for thugs prowling through neighborhoods, burglarizing homes and businesses. This is another example of a nonsensical, feel-good ordinance passed by a bunch of political prostitutes who want your vote. Consider: stopping one (just one) air-conditioner theft or one burglary could easily save the public $4,000. This is a joke.

Citizen_A 2 years, 6 months ago

They may be already doing that...99% of the people I see on the cop shows being arrested are wearing the saggy pants. Maybe having to wait for that ticket from the cop, made them miss their burglary appointment....

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

If 99% of arrestees are wearing saggy pants, that doesn't mean 99% of saggy pants wearers are future arrestees. Plus, you have to realize, in the end cops is a tv show. It will always cater to an audience. And unfortunately, the audience seems to take great excitment from watching financially poor, saggy pants wearing, and often times black people being arrested. What do you think all the unaired footage if full of? Do you really think that regular pants wearers are never arrested? Just think about it.

Citizen_A 2 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I will apologize for my remarks...they were said in the heat of the moment. But lets ask ourselves something...isn't it kind of sad that something like saggy pants actually needed an ordinance to address it. We as citizens have to draw the line somewhere. How far are we going to let it go? Underwear is just as it implies. They are garments meant to be worn UNDER the clothes your wear. What do we look forward to next if we tell people this is acceptable? Noone is asking that we become homgenous or cookie-cutter people. I can think of more dignified ways to express how different we are, than to wear pants that the wearer has to walk around holding up. Noone seems to understand the point. Your freedom to do something shouldn't take the rights away from everyone else around you. We should not have to avert our eyes (or children's eyes) because you feel you have the right to wear (or not wear) what you want.

Ocky 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a massive over-reach of gov't into the private lives of citizens. Shocking in a conservative state like GA (sarcasm). Where is the ban on bra straps showing? Ripped jeans? Piercings? Visible tattoos? Midriffs? What if I am bothered by those things? Do I not have the right to have everyone dress to fit my tastes? EVERY person who received a ticket should refuse to pay and appeal this clearly racist law.

Wendylady3 2 years, 6 months ago

How can it be a "Racist" law? It it is just an ordinance against people's pants being so low their butts are falling out........ Just pull you pants up! Or are you one of those like the ones in prison that want to show your available?????

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

Why insult rather than discuss? Accusations don't invalidate a person's points. And why does the possibility that this law is clandestinly racist seem so abrasive to you? Is it not a fact that the majority of baggy pants wearers are black? Think about the type of people being fined. Many probably can't afford to purchase a whole new wordrobe; or if they decide to give in to such ludicracy, they may need to turn to thievery simply to attain "appropiate clothing". Just some theories of mine

KayKay 2 years, 6 months ago

I have always thought that was one of the dumbest things a person can wear. Who in their right mind wants to see your underwear? I know I don't. And to watch them have to grab onto their pants to keep them from totally falling down...I mean come on.

When this first came into STYLE (laughing) my oldest daughter's guy friends new they had to have their pants at their waist or else not come into my house. It was a standing rule.

The only time I see this style of dress and think it is alright is when the law is chasing them and they can't run to save their lives cause of their pants...LOL.

This is NOT a racist issue since all colors were saggy pants. But,it does get OLD for some to say it is their culture. I don't see people in Africa wearing pants like that or playing rap music that you can hear a block away...you just want to tag it as your culture when in reality it is just something to bug other people. Nor are there people in Mexico or Europe acting so dumb.

gastonjan6 2 years, 6 months ago

I think this is a great law. Wish we had it in Louisiana. So tired of going to town to do some shopping & having to look at ppl wearing their pants down so far down that their underwear is hanging out or their butt crack is showing. Have more respect for urselves & others around u!!! "DISGUSTING" is all I can say!!

TheRealDeal 2 years, 6 months ago

Respect? What is so disrespectful about mere underwear or God's handywork? And if it's so offensive, why not simply avert your eyes? If anything, the seemingly scandalous effects of baggy pants on your mind give you something to hate. And what will you do when the mundane becomes perfect for you? Will you then direct your hate at things which don't deserve it? Just remember, we humans are more alike than most are willing to admit. So in turn, to be disgusted by other's nudity is in a way to be disgusted by one's own nudity; and please don't tell me you can't stand to look at yourself naked in the mirror. Love theyself and you will be able to love unconditionally others. P.S. When I say love, please understand that there are no connotations of sexuality attached in any way, shape, or form.

Clyde 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not the SpongeBob undies or God's handywork for me anyway. It was me sitting in TacoBell east Albany at a booth right next to the register counter and right as I took a big bite of my burrito I happened to turn my head to the right and BAM!, within 2 feet of my face was a mans smelly hairy buttcrack. That's when the saggy britches issue became personal for me. I just about lost my lunch and for sure could not finish the meal I just paid for. What they do out on the streets is not much of a concern to me. I believe in the beauty God made too but a stinky hairy buttcrack in your face in a resturant when you and your family are trying to have a meal is just plain nasty and I feel the resturant owners or managers should enforce sagging like they do the "No Shoes-No shirt, No Serve!" policy. It's an issue of sanitation as much as it is respect to me. Resturant owners, why don't ya'll step up and prohibit sagging in your eateries? If one of your employees that work in the kitchen were sagging and the health department made a visit, what would happen???? Helloooo?????

billybob 2 years, 6 months ago

That'll teach you to go to Taco Bell.

tbmuch 2 years, 6 months ago

I understand what these ordinances are trying to do, however, if a person does not want to look as I do (in dress only) there's no way an ordinance is going to bring about change in the head, where the real change needs to take place, and not to dress only but to looking at what is pleasing to the Almighty. More people find themselves in a state of "need" because they are doing what seems fashionable or just doing their own thing. You reap what you sow.

twocentsworth 2 years, 6 months ago

Okay... I have to add my two cents worth...was at the mall Saturday, and low and behold there was a young girl (I would say 13-15) sitting at the nail salon. Her whole butt was hanging out. And before someone goes and tells me I don't have to look, I will tell you that my 12-year-old saw it, and pointed it out. It's not as if we go looking for this stuff. Sometimes the lack of common decency is unavoidable.