Justice rally held at Charles Sherrod Civil Rights Park

As part of community solidarity with the nationwide protests about the Trayvon Martin case in Sandford Fla., Eddie Bankston’s organization, People Clergy Community Involvement, brought speakers and concerned residents downtown 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Charles Sherrod Civil Rights Park.

Hoodie-clad, unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was fatally shot on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., by neighborhood watch volunteer 28-year-old George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman said he was attacked by Martin and shot in self-defense. He was not arrested. The shooting set off nationwide protests calling for Zimmerman’s arrest.

“We believe there was probable cause to arrest him and try him,” said Bankston. “This is just an example of what goes on. There is less of an investigation, less emphasis is placed on it when it is an African-American.”

Comments

Cartman 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't let the facts interfere with your flawed cause. Although, it is fitting that the victim-mentality parade was held in Charles Sherrod Civil Rights Park. The really sad thing is that there are a lot more "Trayvon"s out there, and they will have an equally violent demise. Ironically, it will statistically happen at the hand of another black male. But no one wants to parade about that. Let NBC, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Obama fan the flames. Please.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 4 months ago

Cartman 45, did you attend the event? Here comes the facts:

1. Black males are arrested first?
  2. Injustice is Injustice
  3. Haters are Haters
  4. Can we be friends?
  5. Can you do that?

Bubbavet_rureel

CJ_Fan 2 years, 4 months ago

Bub here is a repost of what I told Coach READ IT and You Should realize you have been BLAMING the wrong people for Black males being arrested first etc bla bla etc.....

Coach I support their right to march. I do however think they are marching for the wrong thing. They should be marching as examples of what a good education can do to elevate youth out of the stereotypical life of a black youth. ie most likely to be a gangster, a thief, unemployed due to lack of education and job skills and the list goes on and on. As long as the Black Community continues to embrace the Stereotype that is what will be seen by other non-black groups. Once the Black Community starts shining a light on their good side and dims the lights on their bad side then others will also begin to see the good side too. If everyone wants to wear hoodies and support the bad in your community then don’t expect the rest of us to be able to figure out who is good and who is not. ASU should have marched to be examples of the Black future and not the black stereotype. The Stereotypical is what they should be marching against and trying to improve their image as a good part of society. As they say “Your reputation precedes you” if you want your reputation changed you must work to change it and stop just adding fuel to the fire or it will never change. Show the world by example you are not all the same and stop telling us you are not the same just because you said so. The Stereotype black male was created by black males if you want it changed you should be talking to black males.

iko 2 years, 4 months ago

When 90% of violence against blacks is perpetrated by blacks, why do I see no protests against that?

Cartman 2 years, 4 months ago

1. Yes, but they commit crimes disproportionate to their percent of the population. Probable cause is probable cause.
  2. I agree. I am for justice for the Martin family. I am also for justice for the Zimmerman family. Are you?
  3. Absolutely agree. In this instance, most of the hatred seems to be coming from Trayvon's supporters.
  4. Sure.
  5. You are being redundant. And don't take a condescending tone with me.

Somebody 2 years, 4 months ago

People should be protesting against all violence, not just hand picked cases just so they can have an excuse to riot and burn cars etc. Like they did in the Rodney King case. Besides, those people in Sanford don't give a crap about what is done here in Albany, don't even know we exist.

iko 2 years, 4 months ago

Now we know the truth: NBC News doctored the 911 tape so that the rhyming reverends and the civil rights victim pimps can have another "cause" to protest about. Check it out: NBC FIRES PRODUCER OVER EDITED 911 ZIMMERMAN CALL http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/nbc-fires-producer-over-edited-zimmerman-911-call-201124740.html

Somebody 2 years, 4 months ago

Must have some racist black people working over their at NBC.

Darien 2 years, 4 months ago

I WANT JUSTICE FOR ALL OF THESE BABIES BEING BORN OUT OF WED LOCK AND MY TAX DOLLARS BEING SPENT ON THEM. I WANT JUSTICE FOR ALL THESE DEAD BEATS WHO WORK UNDER THE TABLE BUT YET CONTINUE TO DRAW WELFARE. I WANT JUSTICE FOR THOSE WHO LIVE IN GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE HOUSING BUT YET HAVE TOP OF THE LINE CELL PHONES , CAR RADIO/STERO SYSTEMS AND TOP OF THE LINE WHEELS. I WANT JUSTICE FOR DEADBEAT DEADS LIKE ONE WE HAVE IN OUR TOWN, 32 YEARS OF AGE , FATGHERED FOUR KIDS BY FOUR DIFFERENT WOMEN AND DOESN'T SUPPORT THEM AT ALL. I WANT JUSTICE!!!!!!

peopleofamerica 2 years, 4 months ago

Lets get the concept of racism out of the way. Now we as a people have to think whether black, white, or even Hispanic. What if it was your child that was shot in the back and begging for help. Wouldn't you want justice. Now I agree the facts are true that there is too much black on black crime. But there is a rally about to happen about black on black crime. Some people are still stuck in the past, but racism still does exist. Let's not look at the facts. For honest we put the dollar bill In God we trust. But we as a people can't even worship together or very well be around each other unless it's work. If we say we believe then why do we not love one another. There is no love in the case on either side.

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

I think when and if this does go to trial it is going to be very ugly and make Trayvon look very bad. I have been doing some research on the Internet and even what I have found, pictures and text, don't look good and in the hands of an aggressive attorney and the right jury, one that can be easily swayed, I do believe a hung jury or even an acquittal would be in Mr. Zimmerman's future. I have read Trayvon's My Space page and if a lawyer were to use it as evidence in court I think the jury members would be put off by his attitude and stop thinking of him as a sweet faced kid in the pictures that are always being run. Also, comments are being made by others of his "gold grilled smile" and his babyfaced look in the pictures and think it is wrong to post them so they are posting more recent ones that show him in his "gangsta" pose, and commenting on his use of the "N" word in his Twitter, My Space and other social media accounts as his user name. I think the trial would be very harmful to his reputation. I would post the URL but am sure I would be labeled a racist. I am in no way saying that Zimmerman is an angel....all I am saying is that Trayvon is not an angel either and yes, the press is to blame for making this in to circus. I believe tempers are too hot for Zimmerman to get a fair trial at this time and think even if he does get indicted and go to trial I think it needs to be moved out of the area of Sanford. I don't know what to believe at this time but I do believe that there is more to the story than the press releases.....as I have always been told..there are 3 sides....his side...his side..and the truth.........we shall see.

MRKIA 2 years, 4 months ago

HERES SOME "TRUTHS" THAT NO ONE HAS DISPUTED SO FAR 1. MARTIN WAS MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS ON HIS WAY HOME AND HAD A LEGAL RIGHT TO BE WHERE HE WAS. 2. MARTIN NEVER INITIATED ANY CONTACT WITH ZIMMERMAN, OR APPROACH HIM OR THREATEN HIM. 3. ZIMMERMAN STALKED THIS JUVENILE AND INITIATED THE CONTACT THAT RESULTED IN HIS DEATH. 4.ZIMMERMAM WAS ADVISED NOT TO FOLLOW MARTIN BUT HE PURSUED ANYWAY AND THE RESULT IS MARTINS DEATH. THIS WANNA-BE SUPERHERO SHOULD BE IN JAIL.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 4 months ago

This superhero deserves due process, let the judicial system work.

MRKIA 2 years, 4 months ago

LET HIM HAVE HIS DUE PROCESS AFTER ARREST, JAIL , POST BOND, TRIAL ECT... ZIMMERMAN HAS ALL THE DUE PROCESS HE NEEDS: HIS FREEDOM. UNTIL HE LOSES THAT, DUE PROCESS IS JUST A MINOR IRRITANT.