Squawk of the Day, April 11, 2012

"My 91-year-old mother had her Social Security number stolen. She was a victim of identity theft. I’d like to hear from some other squawkers out there."

Comments

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

Sorry to hear that.....but I heard its been happening.

chinaberry25 2 years ago

It seems that this started with Hispanics started using them. And the thugs took over the path. I am sure it is a headache and I know with computers the federal government could do more to prevent this.

justme 2 years ago

Most Hispanics can not read or write muchless speak english. I would think that a crooked american more likely sold the stolen id as fake id to the Hispanics and or used them for ill gotten gains.

waltspecht 2 years ago

Have you ever wondered how all those folks stole tax return money with just a social security number and an address? Seems the IRS is not really cross checking against an actual employer submitted W-2. It's way beyond the Nurse in Albany, it even gets done from prisons. Guess who gets to make up that lost money that isn't recovered? Want to bet it's me and you. Provided we actually pay taxes. This has been going on for years with this electronic filing stuff, and I think the IRS needs to go back to hard copy. At least that way they needed a fake w-2.

agirl_25 2 years ago

I was not a victim of ID theft but can imagine how horrible it was/is for your mother because I was inconvenienced by credit and debit card theft, only 3 months apart. I have no idea how the thief got my information either. As frustrating as that was for me I can only imagine how your mother must feel. Mine both happened on weekends when the thiefs must have supposed they could more easily get away with it but they were in for a shock when the charges were held until the credit union that I deal with called me to confirm the purchases. I was told by security at the credit union where I do business that a few of the transactions were done online with my credit card and debit card. I lost no money in the transactions, and my only problem was the inconvenience and anger I felt. Both cards were used in Miami, I am told, and in one instance my credit card was swiped three times and no PIN was required by the merchant store so the fraud inspectors think that the store owner was part of the team. Best to your mother and I hope she will get thru this without any lasting repercussions but I am sure this is very hard on her. She is certainly in my thoughts.

stc1993 2 years ago

With a debit card you don't have to use a pin # all they do is run it as credit. It still comes out of your account the same day. They got my wife's and tried to buy plane tickets to Las Vegas, like you the bank called & stopped it.

agirl_25 2 years ago

In my debit card case, I use a small rural bank for my debit account which I call my stash because it is my money..hahaha..and the girls at the bank can tell exactly what I am going to use it for ....so when the charges came thru for a $500 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes for men in a Miami store they knew it wasn't my purchase so the red flag went up. The credit card purchase was a bit fancier..they got airline tickets to the Philippine Islands, apparently for the whole family, to the tune of $15,187.58!! Nice huh? The credit union caught that right away. Apparently since I seldom use the credit card a red flag went up for such a large purchase so they immediately called to confirm it.

VSU 2 years ago

Counterfeit money, identity theft...People are just too sorry to go out and earn honest money. Anybody getting caught with this stuff should be in prison double time what they normally would be. Some people are flat out losers.

scooby62 2 years ago

They shouldn't be in jail, they should be under the jail. Just my opinion.

Jimboob 2 years ago

My wife had her identity stolen a few years ago. It took several weeks to clear up the problems and the charges weren't that high... However we still get calls from collection agencies now and then trying to collect. I send them copies of the paperwork and they drop it. Even when it's over it still isn't over. .