UBL looking for Bonnaroo votes

Unbreakable Bloodline

Unbreakable Bloodline

ALBANY -- Area musical talent needs your vote for a deserved career boost ... and it's not just Phillip Phillips.

Unbreakable Bloodline, the Albany-based hip-hop/rock fusion band that is drawing the interest of record labels as well as regional music fans, is in the running to secure a slot at this year's Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn. But they need support from their fans to earn a shot at performing with such headliners as Radiohead, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the reunited Beach Boys.

"If there are people who don't know about Bonnaroo, it's the new Woodstock," UBL drummer Chad Basko said Monday morning. "There will be between 100,00 and 150,000 people at the festival, so for a musician, it's the gig of a lifetime.

"To put it in a different context, playing at Bonnaroo for a band is like playing in the World Series for a baseball player."

Unbreakable Bloodline -- guitarist Dusty Ashberry, bassist Ryan Myers, Basko and MCs Jay "O-Z" Osborne, Vernon "Chief Havoc" Cruz and Tiffany "O'She Tyght" Thomas -- are a multicultural, multi-genre collective that has been making some of the freshest music in Southwest Georgia for the past 2 1/2 years.

The band "got a late start" in the two-week Bonnaroo competition, which is being held in conjunction with sonicbids.com, but has moved up to 15th position among the thousands of bands that made a bid to enter the voting. The top two vote-getters will get on the Bonnaroo stage.

"Sonicbids helps match bands looking for gigs with promoters looking for bands," Basko said. "We send them our information and samples of our music (in this case the original 'Irish Frank'), and if we qualify they put us in the competition. We got a late start and are a day behind everyone else, but we're getting lots of support.

"You can vote once a day, so we're looking to add new voters every day through the 16th, plus keep the people who have voted before voting every day."

Vote for UBL

To vote for Unbreakable Bloodline go to

UBL fans and supporters of local music can vote for the local artists by scanning the provided QR Code with their smart phone or by logging on to the site http://bonnaroo.sonicbids.com/BandDetails.aspx?b=31662. The band's music is available at www.facebook.com/UnbreakableBloodline.

Guitarist Ashberry encouraged local voters to click on the site's "share" link so that all of their Facebook friends will have an opportunity to vote for the band as well.

"Everyone who votes is also in the running for two VIP passes to Bonnaroo," Ashberry added.

The Bonnaroo festival, scheduled for June 7-10, will feature more than 150 musical and comedy acts, including such artists as Phish, Bon Iver, Skrillex, Alice Cooper, the Shins and Ludacris.

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Is it lost on these people that they're using the initials of Usama bin Laden? That's enough right there to make me NOT vote for them, no matter if I liked their music or not.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

You'd think since they are called, Unbreakable Bloodline the initials would be "UB". If they want to include the "L" you'd think they would include the "B" after the "Un" in Unbreakable, 'U'n'B'reakable 'B'lood'L'ine, making the initials "UBBL". Did I confuse you even more?

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Not at all! You are correct. I'm glad someone gets me and my logic!

cruzannjohn 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't know where your from in GA, but who are you to talk about initials used to name a group. You people here in GA have the worst choice of words in your grammer. Ex: Using the word "fixing" proper choice would be going to or about to. Ill when a person has an attitude, again look up ill in the dictionary. Ill should be used when the case of a person or animal is sick. Thre are so much more to list. So leave UBL as their choice to stand for what they feel it means. And then none of them are from the part of the world to even related to your comment.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Then please, madam or sir, accept my profound apologies for my backwoods ways! Sadly, I am merely a lowly and uneducated hick from the sticks. Other grammatical idiosyncracies of us Georgians you may find offensive are: We use "you're" for a contraction of "you are", we end questions with this squiggly thing here -? - called a "question mark". We spell "grammar" as "grammar", we end sentences with these little teeny tiny dots - . - , called "periods", and a few more little gems in your admonition that OVERFLOWS with grammatical errors. Please do not attempt to correct my grammar or sentence structure, as obviously you haven't the standing on which to do it. Oh, and by the way, your most egregious error of all is "fixing". The correct spelling is "fixin'" as any true Southerner knows, and is a staple of our language that is here to stay, like it or not. Please feel free to go back to wherever you came from if you feel that our regional colloquialisms don't meet your standards.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, only you would recognize something like that......SMH

But anyway, I hope the kids get a chance to go.....its a big move and we should support them!

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

No, I'm pretty sure anyone who watches the news and keeps up with current events will make the same observation.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought the very same thing Lulu. I was wondering what a dead terrorist had to do with Bonnaroo. Lol

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree with you Coach. They need our support. Their music is off the chain. They are a talented bunch. I've been voting for them everyday this week. Love some UBL. Btw, UBL stands for Unbreakable Bloodline, not Usama bin Laden.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope they are booked for the Friday Night @DTown event soon. They know how to draw a crowd and get their fans pumped. Go UBL!!!

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

I read the article and know what it stands for. As I said, though, it was only an observation that UBL is what the news networks use on their chyron when referring to Usama bin Laden, and that I think it's tasteless for a band to go by the same name. Anyway, with their name being Unbreakable Bloodline, shouldn't they just call themselves UB? Y'all know I'm just a cranky old b*tch half the time anyway, so just ignore me.

RyDeR 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu, I do believe you are thinking of Osama Bin Laden, which would make the abbreviation of OBL, not UBL. There is no current event with anyone by the name of Usama Bin Laden involved.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

American newscasts use both. Some outlets use UBL. You should do some research.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

I've always thought of him as Osama Bin Laden...With that being said, you are right LuLu I have seen it both ways Usama and Osama.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Do they have and CD's available? I've never heard them perform before.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe they do. I think their music is also on their website. They are the bomb if you are into rap/rock.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah I like mixtures of Rap/Rock. Particularily Linkin Park in their earlier Albums. Bloodhound Gang and others. Thanks!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Linkin Park used to be my fave band, now they suck. Maybe they can get it back again... soon.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree Shinedown, I loved their earlier stuff, now they seemed to have mellowed out.

Outtahere 2 years, 8 months ago

I also hope they get the chance to go - Good Luck!!

tbasko 2 years, 8 months ago

I can assure you LULU that you are the only one that thinks that.....

tbasko 2 years, 8 months ago

Lulu I am pretty sure you are the only one that thinks that... These guys are so amazing and its people like you who try and ruin a good thing...

RyDeR 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu, I believe you're thinking of Osama Bin Laden, which would make the abbreviation OBL, not UBL. There is no current event with someone by the name of Usama Bin Laden involved.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Whereas I agree I've always thought of him as Osama Bin Ladin, but in all fairness to LuLu. I have seen it on Fox News where they had it spelled Usama. May not be correct spelling, but that is how they had him listed.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

I have notice this also on Fox News. No other news source spelled his name with a U. I think they did it to be different or something to that effect.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Again, thank you for acknowledging that I'm not the only one who's seen him referred to that way! I, too, agree that OBL makes more sense, but I was just pointing out that some refer to him as UBL. Just like Moammar Khaddafi/Quadafi/Ghadafi has several spellings, so does OBL/UBL. Anyway, if the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this article was him, then quite possibly I'm not the only one. But who am I to question the band's judgement? Even though it would make more sense for them to call themselves UB, since Bloodline is one word. If it doesn't bother them and their fans, though, then I won't let it bother me.

Mr_Heatmiser 2 years, 8 months ago

From the FBI's most wanted page:

Murder of U.S. Nationals Outside the United States; Conspiracy to Murder U.S. Nationals Outside the United States; Attack on a Federal Facility Resulting in Death USAMA BIN LADEN

There is no "right" way to the spell the name in English, because the Arabic language has it's own alphabet.

By the way, add me to the list who first thought of Bin Laden when seeing the initials "UBL."

SirCyko 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu,

Thanks for making Americans once again look like idiots.

Sincerely, SirCyko

None

by SirCyko

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

Love your name, SirCyko. It's cool!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

SirCyko... this is your very first comment on the Herald website.. Why you gotta be so mean? Stick to the subject, dont slam other commentors... Dont be like da corch.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, really! Anyway, his link leads to.... nothing. So who looks like the idiot now? (And I NEVER call names. I will attack your character and your judgement, but I will never call you a name. Just sayin'.)

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

I casted in my vote, even though I've never heard them perform, I like a little mixture of music such as rock, Reggae, Jazz etc. but if someone says they are good, I'll take their word for it.

ConnieC 2 years, 8 months ago

VSU if you go to their facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/UnbreakableBloodline it links to their reverbnation page which is https://www.reverbnation.com/unbreakablebloodline and you can listen to some of their music and see performance clips. They also did an acoustic performance this morning on WFXL's morning show.

ConnieC 2 years, 8 months ago

Regardless of the spelling, whether its Osama or Usama. He’s a dead terrorist that doesn’t deserve us wasting our breath or time talking about him ever again...On the topic of the article at hand, I really hope you give them a chance. You may not like their name but UBL is still a very talented group of individuals that have worked very hard over the years to achieve the growing fan base they currently have, with dreams of hitting the big stage. I voted, hope everyone else reading this does the same. Lets support our local artist!

tbasko 2 years, 8 months ago

They are wonderful and lets quit harping on there name and be supportive our of local musicians. This is whats wrong with Albany people are always so negative about something. Just be happy for your fellow neighbor and support them!!! Go UBL !!

jartavious 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu, im just curious, my initials are JR, does that offend you? Okay, Im sorry. Of all things you associate with 3 letters thats what you complain about? I really cant believe you are even talking about letters honestly, have you seen what happens in the news lately? crickets

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

No, but ur name might bug Sister Ruby...

Outtahere 2 years, 8 months ago

Man, you gave me a good chuckle Shinedownfan!

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey, maybe they should thank me! They're getting lots of hits on this story, possibly because of the high comment count. People may be coming here to see what all the fuss is about and learning about a cool, new band. You're welcome, Unbreakable Bloodline ; )

Jdollar 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think I have ever seen someone quite as idiotic as you. This is a band and they have a name that is a positive name BTW, but somehow you manage to try to make it a bad thing. Without knowing anything about them, you make assumptions about who they are. Apparently Albany Herald censors their viewers because my last comment to you didn't get posted. Just dumb as a pile of bricks. I am willing to bet you are single and very lonely. Normal people don't look at an uplifting article about a band that is doing great things in the communtiy and say that they are not worthy of your time because their name reminds you of a MISPELLED version of Osama Bin Laden. They after you have been called out you try to justify by making yourself look even dumber. Go to WALB.com and be racist in those comments, UBL is great and we should all be voting as much as possible so that something positive can come out of Albany! There is always a rotten apple in the bunch, This one happens to be called Lulu

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep, I didn't know who they were or what Sonnaroo was.

Outtahere 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu, you and shinedownfan have really had me snickerin' today - in a good way! Thanks for keepin' em comin'. (In my best southern drawl!)

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, LuLu, I think you just made this band even more famous.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 8 months ago

One phrase: They are HOT right now!! Go UBL!!

hazlenuttt 2 years, 8 months ago

LuLu... you are a facist idiot. The thought that you could even fathom such a relationship between the name of a local band and a nihilistic terrorist just shows that our educational system is headed into utter turmoil. I'm utterly disgusted right now. These young individuals are going after the opportunity of a life time and the first comment on this blog has to do with terrorism? A small minded and incompetent comment that brings nothing but negativity to what should be a motivational article. Don't you have something better to do with your time? Your attack has no backing or logic. My attack against you and your comment... purely justified. God pray for you and your offspring.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

See earlier comment under SirCyko's comment... Don't you read?

hazlenuttt 2 years, 8 months ago

I was not being mean, rude, or even "out of hand." I was simply reading this article out of interest and saw the comments that followed. I'm simply stating the obvious truth. People like to go onto these websites and comment all day and everyday. I understand that it brings about debate and a way for people to be "heard" without actually being seen. However, that first comment really had nothing to do with the entire article. It was not an opinion. It was the mindless thinking that our nation has come to learn, fixate, and thrive on. A product of the facade of media propaganda. Yes, I do read. I read enough to graduate from highschool with honors. I read enough to graduate from The University of Georgia with two degrees and now I am working on my third. I'm simply using my right to free speech and my ability to point out nonsense when I see it. = D

Mr_Heatmiser 2 years, 8 months ago

"I read enough to graduate from The University of Georgia with two degrees and now I am working on my third."

So, nobody's gonna take a swat at that high hanger?

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Go comment on the Athens newspaper's website then.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

...and, Hazlenuttt, these two comments are your very first on the Albany Herald's website, so you just proved my earlier point.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Okay, one more time, and I'll try and type sloooowly so some of you can comprehend what I'm saying. It's really not rocket science, y'all. I woke up this morning and came here to albanyherald.com. One of the first headlines I saw was "UBL Looking For Bonnaroo Votes". Almost every day on the news, I see Osama bin Laden (and some DO spell it Usama) referred to as UBL. And I didn't know what in the hell a Bonnaroo was. So because I see it every day, and because it was 5:00 in the morning and before coffee time, my sleepy old brain naturally thought of the terrorist. And maybe they don't frequent this forum, but I'm quite sure I wouldn't be the only one in this country who would see UBL and think of bin Laden. And, again, just because I personally find it tasteless to use that acronym for an American band, if it doesn't faze them or their fans, then it's no skin off my back. And shouldn't it really be UB?? Geez, people, it's just not that hard to understand. And, for the record, I am neither a moron, nor an idiot, nor any of the other lovely names I've been called here today. As I said before, I will call someone out on their judgement or their character, but I would NEVER call anyone an ugly name for expressing their own personal opinions.

tbasko 2 years, 8 months ago

The thing is you called them tasteless earlier and you called someone else a idiot so it really doesn't make you look any better. Some people may say why does she spell her name lulu instead of loulou? Its the simple fact that you woke up at 5 in the morning and instead of reading what this article was you instead wrote a rude and hurtful comment... So be prepared to have people write stuff at you .....

AlbCitz 2 years, 8 months ago

Bin Laden is an Arabic name. Any spelling in English is based on a phonetic spelling. Also, Google Shirley Q. Liquor. I swear his brother is a stalking on this site.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Although I fully stand by everything I said today and am not apologizing for my opinions on the matter, I would like to offer my most sincere apologies to the band members for what this forum degenerated into today. It was not my intention when making my initial observation for all hell to break loose and for the subject of the story to get hijacked. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in the contest.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Forget LULU.....I would like to show my support for the BAND.....What can I do to help besides voting for them, and where can we see them play again???

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

You could be one of their dancers.

ConnieC 2 years, 8 months ago

Coach, I heard they will be playing tonight at "Jazz in the Park", downtown at the Veteran's Amphitheatre, and they are looking for a spot to hold a free performance this Saturday afternoon to help promote the vote. They are supposed to announce the location on their Facebook.

shooter12 2 years, 8 months ago

lulu are you related to one of the stooges??

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Yup, this is another very first comment from this person, and they slam another commenter. We don't like to sling insults on this site. Stick to the subject.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Shine, did you notice we got a lot of new commenters with this story? I'd love for them to stick around and play if they have something to offer besides name-calling and insults.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

I guess they are fans of the Band, "UBBL"... hee hee. I signed up to comment on walb's website, but have only commented once. They are too mean on that site. I always thought we on this site have some class about us, well, most of us. This is my favorite website, even more so than facebook. I love the humor of the comments AND the thought they provoke in some cases.

agonized 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm a first-time poster who has lived in this area most of my life. I enjoy reading the comments to the articles on this website. Some of the discussions and posts are funny, some are aggravating, some are sad, and some have made me stop and think. I've seen LuLu post on many articles, as well as some of the other posters here. As LuLu and Shinedownfan noted, there have been many first-time posters on this particular story. I don't always agree with LuLu's comments or any other regular posters' comments for that matter, but that is just human nature.

What motivated me to post here is the amount of vitriol that has been directed to LuLu because of her first comment to the story. She has tried to explain why she posted what she did, she has tried to inject a little self-deprecating humor by referring to herself as a "cranky old b*tch", but that didn't suffice. She offered a sincere apology to the band for "hijacking" the subject of the story and wished them well in the contest. Woven throughout various posts, she's been called idiot, moron, fascist, racist, lonely, and has been treated to lectures on why her opinion is not an opinion, but "a product of the facade of media propaganda" by a UGA grad with multiple degrees. Additionally, all of us from Georgia have been schooled on how backwards we are, stereotyped as dumb hicks, by someone whose posts contained multiple spelling and word usage errors.

I too have two degrees from UGA. What I did NOT learn from college and post-graduate school was character and humility. I was blessed to be raised by two humble parents, who were also college-educated. They instilled in me that my education and career make me no better or worse than anyone else. Neither does my education and career make me more qualified to state an opinion that does not pertain to my profession any more than anyone else. I'm sure everyone here has heard the old adage that opinions are like a certain part of the human anatomy, in that everyone has one.

What is regrettable is that a story intended to bring publicity to a local band so that they could secure a spot guaranteed to bring good things their way has resulted in this. I wish the band well. I commend the posters, such as ConnieC, who tried to steer the discussion back in a positive direction.

Two more things and I will slink back to obscurity: first, the headline was very confusing. I didn't think of bin Laden, but I had no idea what the story would be about. If this makes me a backwards hick, so be it. Second, I admire loyalty of friends, family and fans of the band, but going off like a Roman candle on a local website is not going to win friends/fans and influence people. The more well-known the band becomes (and I wish them the best in this endeavor), the more criticism will be directed their way that will make LuLu's initial comment sound like a lullaby.

I apologize for the length of this post.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Welcome to the forum, agonized, and thank you so much for the kind words and support. As evidenced by what you've read here today, so many people don't always comprehend the words in front of them, but just fly off on an emotional tirade on what they THINK they read. It's nice to have someone with linear and logical thought stop in, and I hope you'll stay. Don't worry -- things don't always get as spirited as this one did, but there's a motley crew of characters here, some you'll love, and some whose little heads you'll want to pinch off. Prop your feet up and stay with us a while!

agonized 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the welcome, LuLu! I've been reading here for quite a while and although I know some stories provoke a lot of discussion with heated comments, I haven't seen one yet that contained the number of personal insults on the comment thread that this article did. People should be allowed to discuss their opinions online, within certain limits, without being personally attacked. However, it seems to me that there is a growing trend on a lot of discussion forums where posters who disagree with another's opinion resort to name-calling and labeling, instead of explaining why they disagree. For me, people who may see things differently than I do aren't going to persuade me to change my mind, compromise or even understand where they're coming from if they start slinging personal barbs. Hopefully, the next positive news article on here won't provoke such!

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

Unfortunately, when some people don't have reason or logic to back themselves up, in frustration all they can do is resort to insults and name-calling. It takes all kinds..