African-American culture celebrated at Albany expo

ALBANY, Ga. -- The 2nd annual Albany Area Black Expo kicked off Tuesday evening with an "after hours" networking session at the Hilton Garden Inn. Early risers gathered Wednesday morning for the AABE Business Recognition Breakfast for more networking and to recognize excellence in area businesses.

According to Christopher Pike, Ward III Albany city commissioner and expo organizer, winning businesses and individuals demonstrated outstanding levels of "commitment to inclusion and diversity" in their business practices.

The Micro (one to nine employees) category Business of the Year award went to Verge, a downtown clothing shop. Central Monitoring took the prize in the Small (10-49 employees) category, while SASCO Chemical Group was the winner in the Medium (50-499 employees) classification. In the Large (500 or more employees) category, Procter & Gamble received the honor. The AABE Nonprofit of the Year Award was Albany ARC.

In addition, the Distinguished Entrepreneur Award was presented to Frank Ross, owner of Cinnabon at the Albany Mall. The Business Person of the Year Award was given to Fonda Strong, executive director of Open Arms.

According to Pike, the Albany Area Black Expo will continue through Saturday and will feature activities including Jazz in the Park at the Veterans Memorial Amphitheater 7 p.m.-9 p.m. today; the Women of Purpose Luncheon, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday at the Hilton Garden Inn, and Fins and Thespians, a night of theater at the Flint RiverQuarium, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. Friday.

On Saturday at the Hilton Inn will be the Business Expo & Trade Show from 10 a.m. till 4 p.m., as well business workshops at various times during the day. At the Sanford Gym at Albany State University will be the 100 Black Men Robotics Challenge from 10 a.m. till 5 p.m. This event is open to the public with no admission charge.

"The Expo is an opportunity to have businesses come together to network and have more money to spend and grow the area economy," Pike said. "And to have a little fun while they're doing it."

Pike said "about 150" people had turned out for the AABE on Wednesday, or about the same number who attended last year's event.

Comments

dingleberry 2 years, 5 months ago

My goodness, what would be said if we had an event labeled a "white expo" or anything with the word "white"? Why not just call it an expo and leave out the black part of the name in the interest of "diversity and inclusion"?

43cop 2 years, 5 months ago

Here we go again. Christopher Pike appears to be spearheading this event and as you will note, it is AFRICAN-AMERICAN, not just plain EXPO. Pike, just as the majority of the commission, needs to go and elect some AFRICAN-AMERICAN'S or possibily white people with good qualifications to the commission.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

The term "African-American" is just as offensive to me as the "N" word is to black people -- although for some strange reason it's okay when THEY say it. How hypocritical... Unless they were born in Africa and emigrated here, or unless one of their parents were born there and emigrated here, they are NOT African-American. They are just plain old AMERICAN.

MRKIA 2 years, 5 months ago

SOME EVENTS, " BLACK" OR AFRICAN" THEMED COULD BENEFIT FROM NAME CHANGES THAT AVOIDS THE APPEARANCE OF EXCLUSION. MOST REASONABLE THINKING PERSONS KNOW THAT NAMING AN EVENT THE "BLACK" THIS OR THAT REALLY MEANS THAT IT BLACK THEMED OR TARGETS THE BLACK POPULATION WITH IT'S PRODUCTS OR SERVICES AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY EXCLUDE ANYONE OF ANY RACE FROM ATTENDING OR PARTICIPATING. IT MERELY DESCRIBES THE TARGETS OF THESE EVENTS. EXAMPLE: DO-RAGS AND AFRO PICKS ARE ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY BLACK ITEMS BUT IT DOES NOT PREVENT VARIOUS RACES FROM THE MANUFACTURE, IMPORT OR SALES OF THESE ITEMS. PERHAPS THE "ALBANY AREA EXPO OF BLACK CULTURE" IS A BETTER DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENT.

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok!!!! from this day on I have decided to be known as a Euro-American. On forms I shall no longer check White but will write in Euro-American. My people on my Mother's side came here in the 1840's from Ireland during the great potato famine and some came from Germany, so I consider myself a true Euro-American and am going to be known as one from this day forward. On my father's side his Mother was French and as mean as they come (for real) and ruled the roost like any old hen would. So there you have it. I am a Euro-American....Any objections? Let's hear it for the EURO-AMERICANS !!!!!!!!!!

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

I have decided to become an American-American. I was born here, as were both of my parents. My ancestors came here from Europe two or three hundred years ago, but that is as much of a stretch to me as black Americans calling themselves African-American just because their ancestors came here 2 or 3 hundred years ago.

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

Well I was going to go with Nativeborn-American too, thought that sounded kind of nice but then I felt as tho I had to show my EURO-pride.....whatcha think? I did try out Irish-American, German-American, etc etc, but didn't want to make the other parts of me feel slighted. I may still go with Nativeborn-American. Does sound kind of nice. Has a nice ring to it and I don't think it is offensive to Native-Americans, do you? After all, they are the true Americans.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm kind of partial to Southern-American, myself, but I figured that would be deemed offensive or exclusive to some people, too, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. Euro-American is definitely an option, but there goes that exclusive problem again, in my opinion. I'm tired of everyone dividing themselves, when we're all just Americans! That's why I opt for American-American. But I wish we could just drop the hyphen altogether, really.

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 5 months ago

The Albany Area Black Expo celebrates businesses for their "commitment to inclusion and diversity." Can't even think up a joke that works better than that sentence.

hopeforalbany 2 years, 5 months ago

History is a good step in the right direction to hope non-jokes that will help cultures that perpetrated social atrocities come to terms with their past.

Let us hope for Albany.

hopeforalbany 2 years, 5 months ago

It no longer amazes me that Albany, GA continues to suffer from her past history of racial slavery, segregation, discrimination, and racism. When a cultural group that has been oppressed as long as colored/negro/black/African American tries to redevelop itself within a continuous hostile environment, it is so upsetting the dominant group continues to cry foul. Shame, Shame, Shame.

The only hope for Albany is a miracle!

MRKIA 2 years, 5 months ago

THE HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT THESE DAYS HAS BEEN CREATED BY BLACK FOLKS THEMSELVES. WHITE FOLKS CANNOT STOP BLACK ADVANCEMENT, THOSE DAYS ARE GONE. THE WHITE BOOGY-MAN HAS BEEN REPLACED BY A BLACK ONE.JUST LOOK AT THE CONDITION OF BLACK NEIGHBORHOODS, THE SCHOOL GRAD RATE, THE JAIL AND PRISON POPULATION, AND BABIES HAVING BABIES

MRKIA 2 years, 5 months ago

THERE WERE NO BLACK BUSINESSES WINNING AN AWARD, CHICKEN WING SHACKS, BEAUTYSHOPS OR CARWASHES CAN'T COMPETE.

Justice4Moma 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah,lets take a look at black neighborhoods.Most young blacks do not care about how there homes look,or there yards.The older Black Americans are diffrent,they take pride in what they have,and where they live.So all you have to do is look at who is spreading hatred among all races.You cant make someone care.It has to come from the heart.Alot of people no longer have hearts.And most of it is because they have tried to make things better,but they need help from our officals,and are not getting it.