Hospital's progress has been a lifesaver

Rick Turner

Rick Turner

I'm taking this time to discuss the two times I was admitted to Phoebe Putney Hospital and will go into detail of my first visit due to the crazy circumstance of the actual problem that was revealed. First of February, I didn't feel worth a flip and was starting to bloat. This went on for several weeks and I got an appointment with my main health doctor, Dr. Joe Stubbs at Albany Internal Medical, Feb. 27. He checked me over -- x-rays and all. He felt I had an intestinal blockage, but couldn't be sure until the results of the tests came back.

Dr. Stubbs did tell me if my fever jumped over 101 or I started throwing up, to go right to the ER at Phoebe. About 4:30 the next morning, I did throw up, big time. My wife got me to the ER. I was able to alert Dr. Stubbs, who emailed the results of his tests to them. I was admitted to the ER and ... was assigned to a nice room and hooked up with IVs, etc. A tube was run into my stomach to start draining the green bile. At that time the stuff was draining out, I did not feel it was draining as fast as my body was producing it. Dr. Craig Murray was assigned as my doctor and he, too, couldn't understand why my body was still getting bloated.

After several x-rays, Dr. Murray had the staff to run an CT scan on my stomach and results of the scan found my appendix had ruptured, causing all of my problems. Immediately the hospital staff prepared me for an emergency appendectomy and Dr. Murray with his fine surgical staff removed the sick appendix.

The main reason I'm going into detail is never ever have I ever had any pain whatsoever around my appendix, and that area had been examined and pressed mucho times over the years. Dr. Murray said he just couldn't figure out why I never had any pain during this time. Dr. Murray did tell me that had I not gotten to the hospital when I did, things could have been much worse.

The second time I had to go to the ER at Phoebe was March 19. This time my diverticulitis acted up -- the third time I had this problem in less than two years. I was admitted to Phoebe, placed on IV, etc. and released after three days. This problem I will address shortly and, God willing, get corrected.

Now, let me go into detail of my treatment these two times by the Phoebe staff and both times I was treated outstandingly and, as I mentioned to the staff, this is the way a patient should be treated, and all agreed. I want all the staff on the sixth floor that was involved in my treatment and the great efforts they took when I had to have my emergency appendectomy in getting me moved into a larger room and getting a bed for my wife to sleep on.

Many years ago my wife had to stay in Phoebe and I asked the nurse if they could provide me a lounge chair, cot or something, "No sir, Mr. Turner," and I had to bring a lawn chair from home to sleep on. This happened many years ago and I will say, I bet that nurse didn't make an effort or cared less. On my second visit to Phoebe, I again will thank all the staff on the eighth floor that was involved in my treatment, there's too many individuals for me to remember in both visits. To each and everyone of you I say thank y'all and keep up that great treatment.

There is one gray area I would like mention on both of my above visits -- to the staff that pulls blood from us patients, some of you need to get more OJT and realize the patient(s) aren't pin cushions! By the way, this was my fifth and sixth trips to P.P.M.H.

I know I have read many comments about Phoebe Putney Hospital that are bad and negative, the cost is so high and I will agree fully, but then on the other hand, all the tests that were performed on me these two times were truly a factor in my being able to write this. On my first visit, many x-rays, blood tests, etc. were given me, and the cost of all that equipment would blow my mind.

I will say, in closing, that when my family and I first came to Albany with the Air Force in 1962, Phoebe Putney Hospital was just two buildings. Without the great growth of Phoebe, I'm mighty sure Albany would not be blessed with some many medical staff and all the treatments provided there. I want to thank Joel Wernick and the Phoebe board of directors on outstanding growth to Phoebe and to local hospitals that have been taken under Phoebe's control.

Richard F. "Rick" Turner is a resident of Lee County.

Comments

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 5 months ago

Come back and tell us how you feel after you get the bill!

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

If he is on Medicare and has parts A & B and is retired Air Force with Tricare for Life I doubt he will get a bill. I never do. He did mention he came to Albany with the Air Force in 1962, is why I mentioned that. Medicare is my primary and Tricare for Life is my secondary payer. I prefer Palmyra but have had to use Phoebe in the past and now it is inevitable that I must use them, disguised as Phoebe North, sigh. If he is none of the above.....then heaven help him....for I know not what goes on in your civilian world....but have heard tales of horror, and they have been very ugly. Oh, and PS...I do know of what I speak, for I have recently had my 12th surgical procedure and as you may have guessed....no bill.........just the EOB. Oh and, btw, I am glad you are well.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and let you know what goes on in the "civilian world." I recently had the priviledge of spending 11 hours in Phoebe's emergency, writhing in pain from an undiagnosed stomach ailment. No amount of begging and pleading could bring anyone into my room for any help or relief. I couldn't even get a pillow! I spent the entire 11 hours with my trousers and shirt rolled up for a make-shift pillow. Phoebe even had the nerve to send someone in after about 5 hours and asked for payment for my co-pay and deductible ($1200 total). My wife had the good sense to tell the clerk that we would be glad to pay, once we saw a doctor (along with a few choice words). After finally seeing a doctor, I was admitted for 3 days of diagnostic testing that revealed? Nothing! My wife and I estimate the bill to be around $10,000. My insurance pays 80-20 after the deductible. I figure I'll be out approx $2800 after insurance pays. And, yes, I live in the civilian world where my employer pays $28,000 per year for my family coverage. Point is, for every good story, there is one bad. The EC at Phoebe is broken, has been for decades, and Wernick refuses to address it in any meaningful way.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

Can't wait until we all get free healthcare! And free everything else too. That will be a wonderful day for America. (And its last............)

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

Spend 30+ years of your life in the military, in Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, and Guam, to name a few,away from your family, miss the birth of both of your children; leave for work one morning in January 1968 and come home in April of the same year because some morons in North Korea decided to seize a US ship and you had to fly out of the country on short notice. If you join the military they promise you something called benefits and one of them is medical care when you retire. He retired....he paid the price..I don't consider it FREE. This is for services rendered. I might add I love the rewards we are given for the price he paid and appreciate every one of them, even the FREE stuff. I think he deserves it. Don't you?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes agirl, HE deserves it for all those reasons. But you know that His Royal Majesty wants to give the same to anybody.........everybody that HASN'T earned it like Mr. Turner did. And primarily to buy more votes for the Democrat party.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Gonna get my free beemer with the cool white angel eye headlights then, Sister! I can't wait! On the downside, I'll have to drive outta the non existent country then, huh?

Cartman 2 years, 5 months ago

Cliff Notes: Phoebe medical care is great! ....for those insulated from having to pay the bill. For anyone who is remotely concerned with the cost (like employers who pay premiums), the medical expenses are obscene. Thank Joel Wernick indeed. Yeah. Thanks for helping industry leave the area, Joel! Thanks for padding your pockets. Thanks for your arrogant attitude. And thanks for those slick propoganda pieces we all get in the mail. It helps show us that money is no object at Phoebe. We really appreciate it.

alleebrin 2 years, 5 months ago

Being a patient at Phoebe is not something you want to have happen to you! NIGHTMARE!

cfcarroll64 2 years, 1 month ago

If any of you had every worked in and area of healhcare, you would know what the cost are as some of you put it, outrageous. 1. People are sue happy 2. Cost of supplies are to say the least very expensive 3. Surgical instruments can cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars 4. Educated and trained staff have to earn a living 5. People do not want to pay their medical care bills 6. And did i mention that we all walk around carrying the middle name of sue? 7. We go to the ER with a toe ache and want emergency treatment over a patient having a heart attack, there goes the cost of er care for non emergent care And yes, i worked in healthcare for 20 yrs.